Ireland Team for ABs

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland Team for ABs

Post by simonokeeffe »

Laighin Break wrote:Against South Africa and against Munster this season, it seems that Jordi was given the job to tackle everything in sight and he did it very effectively. I'd imagine that's what he has been tasked with for tomorrow. Can't see us poaching much ball at rucktime though with him and Stander as the flankers.
Stander is good over the ball, just doesnt happen crazy often, if that makes sense
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Laighin Break wrote:Against South Africa and against Munster this season, it seems that Jordi was given the job to tackle everything in sight and he did it very effectively. I'd imagine that's what he has been tasked with for tomorrow. Can't see us poaching much ball at rucktime though with him and Stander as the flankers.
Fully agree. We're obviously planning to chop down the NZ carriers at source and Jordi is in to do that job. As I said in an earlier post his selection looks like a tactical move. It's not the direction I would go, I don't think.

All the selections point to a high accuracy, strangling gameplan. This idea we can stay in touch, then pit our bench against theirs and pull a late rabbit out of the hat runs pretty much contrary to the typical plan for beating NZ, especially the current hyper-fit version.

We proved the aggressive, positive, attacking template in the summer and we lost the series by going into our shells and getting defensive in test 2. Surely we could be building on that with a similar mindiet. It may still happen, but the personnel don't make the most of that mindset.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

fourthirtythree wrote:Well, if we hold on we have a bit more pace off the bench. I've no problem with Murphy playing (not that we haven't all been critical of him in the past) and I trust he'll put in a big game.

If Schmidt thinks handing Ringrose the start away to NZ isn't the smartest, he's most likely right. I'm just disappointed.
I'm not too disappointed. It doesn't make sense to me to expose the guy to massive analysis in a weakened team playing a hyped-up jolly when we're going to be playing the same opposition again in a couple of weeks in a home game with [hopefully] a significantly stronger selection. The Chicago game is a phoney war compared to the Lansdowne test.

To be frank, I'd have questioned JS's decision making on that count if he had selected GR at No13.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

hugonaut wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Well, if we hold on we have a bit more pace off the bench. I've no problem with Murphy playing (not that we haven't all been critical of him in the past) and I trust he'll put in a big game.

If Schmidt thinks handing Ringrose the start away to NZ isn't the smartest, he's most likely right. I'm just disappointed.
I'm not too disappointed. It doesn't make sense to me to expose the guy to massive analysis in a weakened team playing a hyped-up jolly when we're going to be playing the same opposition again in a couple of weeks in a home game with [hopefully] a significantly stronger selection. The Chicago game is a phoney war compared to the Lansdowne test.

To be frank, I'd have questioned JS's decision making on that count if he had selected GR at No13.
I see what you mean, but I don't see what you mean!
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Any suggestions on how a non eir customer who cannot make it to the pub tonight might get to see the game.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Go to the pub or subscribe to eir or knock on your neighbors door?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Fireworks wrote:Any suggestions on how a non eir customer who cannot make it to the pub tonight might get to see the game.
Online stream. Myp2p.biz and livetv.sx and real-tv-sport.com are good bets.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

hugonaut wrote: I'm not too disappointed. It doesn't make sense to me to expose the guy to massive analysis in a weakened team playing a hyped-up jolly when we're going to be playing the same opposition again in a couple of weeks in a home game with [hopefully] a significantly stronger selection. The Chicago game is a phoney war compared to the Lansdowne test.

Well yes, this is in a situation where NZ don't want to start a debutant
Hansen wrote:“We’ve got a young guy who has not played a Test match, he’s only been in and around the team for four days, so we just felt it was better for him coming off the bench,” Hansen says with a nod to Scott Barrett. Vaea Fifita missed out on the 23 altogether.
New Zealand don't need to treat a test against us with such respect except for the fact that they are pros and do and that's why they win. We jave enough new players out there.

But supporters (me) usually want to see the daring attacking team out on the pitch.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

hugonaut wrote:

Bingo. The team in a few weeks could have Ross, Hendrson, Dillane, O'Mahony, O'Brien, Ringrose in it, or at lest in the squad. This game will be on a temporary pitch, in a non-rugby stadium, with a non-rugby crowd. It's not an ideal blooding ground. This is a great New Zealand team, but we will give them a hell of a shakedown in a few weeks. With their withdrawals up front it might not be so bad today either. Will be a very nice yardstick for dublin if nothing else.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

If nz win today they'll have the record for most wins on the bounce yeah? After that mile stone they may ease up a bit. We'll have them right where we want them....
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

All black discipline atrocious here
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

This is on
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Rob Kearney, missed tackle aside, having a bit if a stormer here too
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

That was absolutely brilliant by zebo. Fine fine margins. Did I say this is on?
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

It's live on YouTube for anyone still looking
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Terrible for jordi. But hopefully played his part in something special
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

I'm shaking like a leaf
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Sweet sufferin jesus
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Over to you munster. Lol
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Joe out!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.