2016 Summer Tour to South Africa.

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: 2016 Summer Tour to South Africa.

Post by Oldschool »

locho wrote:Imagine 2-3 years ago suggesting Ireland could win a test series in SA without Cian Healy, POC, SOB, POM, Sexton, BOD, Bowe, Rob Kearney, and starting a 23 yo TH in the second test with only 6 caps.

We've come along way and it's about time we stopped believing the ignorant media who harp on about Golden generations, we have plenty of young professional players now who are ready and willing to compete at this level and it's time to let them get on with it!
Yeah but that was before Joe's time when we had cr@p coaches running the show.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Nice spot LRIP

Nyakane is out of 3rd test, presumably Steven Kitshoff to step up on to the bench
De Jager and Vermuelen the other doubts
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

jezzer wrote:Murray in today's IT saying that the order from the coaches was to keep their foot on the saffers' throats. Keep attacking. Makes Murray's decisions to keep booting it away more frustrating. It wasn't all him, there were a lot of handling and set piece errors that kept the ball away from us, but all the more reason to make really good use of the ball you do get and not hoof it away.

He also said they weren't feeling the altitude effects, which sounds like what he's supposed to say rather than what really happened. Some of them looked wrecked. Whether that was altitude, end of season or a bit of everything, who knows.
Whatever else happens, I don't want to hear the end of season excuse particularly when we have a huge incentive to win - Series win and RWC seeding at stake.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Strauss Etzebeth Pietersen DeAllende Le Roux have played the full 80s in both tests so far so you have to imagine that is hard going on their 2 best forwards
Louw has played 60 then 80
Kolisi 80 then 70
DuKlerk 70 then 80

They dont want to use their sub 2, 9, and now 10
You could ad 1 to that but they kind of have to
If Mahlerbe and Mvovo drop to bench thats another 2 subs they dont want to use

if Vermuelen is out theyre bringing an inexperienced scrubber on to the bench so theyll be going out there with a tired pack and only a second row that they actually want to bring on out of an entire bench wheres we could have Cronin, Furlong, Henderson, a backrower
Last edited by simonokeeffe on June 21st, 2016, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

simonokeeffe wrote:Nice spot LRIP

Nyakane is out of 3rd test, presumably Steven Kitshoff to step up on to the bench
Vermuelen and de Jager confirmed out by SA twitter account

https://twitter.com/Springboks/status/7 ... 4575603713
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

tate wrote:

That'll freshen up their back row a bit.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:What is interesting is that the Boks didn't really earn any of their tries. Literally lads running straight and then Irish players falling off them. The try in the first test was an intercept. No great skill or coordination involved in any of them. We've even completely negated their attacking maul while keeping our own potent. At sea level and with a few key lads rested, you would think our defence will improve against their average attack ( and for the full 80).
I agree with the first part about how they got their scores but I wouldn't underestimate the confidence they'll have got from that second half. I've a feeling they'll be more lethal if given any chances than they were in the first test or the first hour or so on Saturday.
If we can mentally put ourselves back to the point where we started the First Test and tackle accordingly, which was what created the win that day, we have a real chance. We have learned a lot about them and a few of our players have added vital experience, Marshall, Payne, Jackson, Furlong, Roux and Dillane to mention a few, each of whom has played beyond expectation, in the positions selected and will have gained real confidence from that experience.

Like the 20's, we are showing more threats than SA expected and I believe we will demonstrate that again on Saturday.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
tate wrote:

That'll freshen up their back row a bit.
Sikhumbuzo Notshe likely to be no20, Mostert covering second row

Whitely is a good player, different type to Vermuelen, but I smell blood in the water here
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
If we can mentally put ourselves back to the point where we started the First Test and tackle accordingly, which was what created the win that day, we have a real chance. We have learned a lot about them and a few of our players have added vital experience, Marshall, Payne, Jackson, Furlong, Roux and Dillane to mention a few, each of whom has played beyond expectation, in the positions selected and will have gained real confidence from that experience.

Like the 20's, we are showing more threats than SA expected and I believe we will demonstrate that again on Saturday.
As poor as their attack was in the first game, they did actually create some chances purely down to the pace they had, but then butchered them with poor handling and communication. I just think that they'll improve on that after Saturday's confident boost. We should still be able to handle it and have been by far the better side over the 160 mins but it's a concern IMO.

Could be a cracker if I'm right.
MrSensible
Learner

Post by MrSensible »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:

As poor as their attack was in the first game, they did actually create some chances purely down to the pace they had, but then butchered them with poor handling and communication. I just think that they'll improve on that after Saturday's confident boost. We should still be able to handle it and have been by far the better side over the 160 mins but it's a concern IMO.

+1

Tight match but I do think the lads will pull it off. Ireland to win :happy clapper:
Could be a cracker if I'm right.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

I think kitsoff (if he steps up as sub loosehead) is who furlong faced and did well against at u20 level.
Disappointment about not closing out the second test aside, this has been a brilliant tour for Ireland. Much better than I hoped. Starting to believe it could happen this week.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

TOH doing the media rounds this week, looks like he is starting and Payne back to 13.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

neill_m wrote:TOH doing the media rounds this week, looks like he is starting and Payne back to 13.
Speaking of which - did anone actually see him make his debut last Saturday? According to IRFU he got three minutes at the end of the game but it wasn't picked up by TV and Ultimate Rugby say he stayed on the bench!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Xanthippe wrote:
neill_m wrote:TOH doing the media rounds this week, looks like he is starting and Payne back to 13.
Speaking of which - did anone actually see him make his debut last Saturday? According to IRFU he got three minutes at the end of the game but it wasn't picked up by TV and Ultimate Rugby say he stayed on the bench!!
yes it did happen (belatedly)

Boks have called up Coenie Oosthuizen as extra losehead cover
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Xanthippe wrote:
Yeah, he came on for Payne after South Africa's final try. Don't think he touched the ball though but there's definitely footage of him on the pitch.

Not sure if this came up earlier, but was it just me or were the South African penalty kicks and conversions being shown in slo-mo?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

cormac wrote:
Not sure if this came up earlier, but was it just me or were the South African penalty kicks and conversions being shown in slo-mo?
It was like I was watching it on a really bad stream.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

cormac wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
Yeah, he came on for Payne after South Africa's final try. Don't think he touched the ball though but there's definitely footage of him on the pitch.

they were, was freaky, think it was some deliberate slowing of the feed to look space age and shizzle
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

cormac wrote:Not sure if this came up earlier, but was it just me or were the South African penalty kicks and conversions being shown in slo-mo?
Yeah, started in real time but slowed down as the ball went over. Really weird to watch as it's supposed to be 'live'.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

jimbobjoe wrote:
cormac wrote:Not sure if this came up earlier, but was it just me or were the South African penalty kicks and conversions being shown in slo-mo?
Yeah, started in real time but slowed down as the ball went over. Really weird to watch as it's supposed to be 'live'.
Good to clarify. I wasn't sure if I'd entered the Matrix or was having a stroke.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

cormac wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
Good to clarify. I wasn't sure if I'd entered the Matrix or was having a stroke.
I noticed that and had a weird moment of not being sure if I was watching the kick live or the slow motion replay. Not sure why they do that.