England v Ireland 6Ns 2016

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

All Blacks nil
Mullet

Re: England v Ireland 6Ns 2016

Post by All Blacks nil »

neiliog93 wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Simon mentioned this already but the lack of buzz around this game is disappointing. I include myself in that, haven't got into this tournament at all and it's not just because of the results, felt this way before it even started. Wonder is it the disappointment of the World Cup? The poor European campaigns? The injuries? Probably a combination of everything but hopefully this game will reinvigorate things.
I think a lot of people (especially casual fans) lose interest in the 6 Nations of a world cup season.
If Ireland had won their first two games there would be plenty of interest.
Both teams unbeaten with Italy and Scotland to come for Ireland.
Grand Slam on the line. What World Cup?

I'm delighted to see both new caps selected. JDF looks a super prospect but McCloskey could be a game changer for Ireland.
There is no point in selecting McCloskey if you strip him of his "special power". His attacking game is all about using his power AND subtle offloads. Don't expect him to step and burst clear in midfield. What he can do is get his hands free and offload to others and put them in behind defences, hopefully, Joe will give him the licence to do just that. Only once since Joe has taken over (in Six Nations, AI or RWC against Tier 1 nations) have Ireland made more offloads than the opposition.

The likes of JDF, Earls, Henshaw and Zebo (when he comes on) will prosper if the mindset changes. It might also reduce the amount of collisions that Ireland endure in a n effort to literally break down a defence. Thatwill in turn .lead to a reduction in injuries suffered in collisions.

Here's hoping
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Simon mentioned this already but the lack of buzz around this game is disappointing. I include myself in that, haven't got into this tournament at all and it's not just because of the results, felt this way before it even started. Wonder is it the disappointment of the World Cup? The poor European campaigns? The injuries? Probably a combination of everything but hopefully this game will reinvigorate things.
I think a lot of people (especially casual fans) lose interest in the 6 Nations of a world cup season.
I think a let down of a world cup especially
And a let down of a HC for all
Some games on ITV too
And the election being on as well

And as AB0 says not winning/theyre being no bndwagon
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

winning solves all!! If provinces were going well and Ireland were going to Twickenham unbeaten then there would be far more excitement. Irish Rugby hasn't done a lot this season to inspire us, hopefully new faces and a bit more adventure see us threaten to or even score a few tries this weekend
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I really think we can win this. If Henderson had been fit, I'd even be confident about it. I like our bench, Madigan aside (though the placekicking accuracy is a big plus in a tight game).

I'm not seeing anything in the English side that makes me sh!t myself, other than them getting an early upper hand in the scrum to influence Poite, before Big Mike figures it out. Speaking of him, hamstrings are tricky b$&%@#ds. Hope nothing goes twang in the warmup or early in the game.

England look well balanced too. It's a close one to call but I'd be as optimistic about Ireland as I'd have been in any past 6N game in Twickers.

Delighted for JVDF and McCloskey. England's backrow isn't the fastest. If we can get Joshie on the ball early and Poite decides today is the day he'll penalise for holding on, we could be in business. McCLoskey on Ford and Farrell looks like a good piece of business too. Let's get the fockin offloads going though. This English pack was bred and picked to ruck over your ball and screw up your attack.

C'MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

All Blacks nil wrote: What he can do is get his hands free and offload to others and put them in behind defences, hopefully, Joe will give him the licence to do just that. Only once since Joe has taken over (in Six Nations, AI or RWC against Tier 1 nations) have Ireland made more offloads than the opposition.
Although we did win back to back 6N titles, beat Australia and South Africa and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against NZ...
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Offloading is not a question of mindset but of quality line breaks combined with skill-set. Don't expect a massive change in one game.

For JVDF to prosper our set-pieces, particularly scrum have got to be effective. His excellence is in support linking and ball carrying, not groundhog at breakdown. He is not a Pocock or Brousseau. Hope to see him picking up passes from our mid-field runners.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

jezzer wrote:I really think we can win this. If Henderson had been fit, I'd even be confident about it. I like our bench, Madigan aside (though the placekicking accuracy is a big plus in a tight game).

I'm not seeing anything in the English side that makes me sh!t myself, other than them getting an early upper hand in the scrum to influence Poite, before Big Mike figures it out. Speaking of him, hamstrings are tricky b$&%@#ds. Hope nothing goes twang in the warmup or early in the game.

England look well balanced too. It's a close one to call but I'd be as optimistic about Ireland as I'd have been in any past 6N game in Twickers.

Delighted for JVDF and McCloskey. England's backrow isn't the fastest. If we can get Joshie on the ball early and Poite decides today is the day he'll penalise for holding on, we could be in business. McCLoskey on Ford and Farrell looks like a good piece of business too. Let's get the fockin offloads going though. This English pack was bred and picked to ruck over your ball and screw up your attack.

Don't do that
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Offloading is not a question of mindset but of quality line breaks combined with skill-set. Don't expect a massive change in one game.

For JVDF to prosper our set-pieces, particularly scrum have got to be effective. His excellence is in support linking and ball carrying, not groundhog at breakdown. He is not a Pocock or Brousseau. Hope to see him picking up passes from our mid-field runners.

Hmm not sure about that - I think VdeF is very very like TOD - very fast and can slow down ball without probably turning over the ball - tackling is a huge plus (and has bene referenced plenty of times this week) - and generally gets through a mountain of work - he also carries like TOD - looking for the gaps and accelerating through rater than hard yards

I thin he is a little bit lucky to be starting (I think his performance this year has surprised people as uch as anything else) but no issues at all with selection - great to see

I don't think anybody expects or eve wants a huge shift in tactics - a more varied approach is al that is needed - as someone else said letting McCXloskey do what he does,rather thansuttng that down would e great - Henshaw Ears,Zebo wenhe comes on ad VdF are te right guys to tae advantageof ibeig in the team
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Offloading is not a question of mindset but of quality line breaks combined with skill-set.
Yep. France had something like 23 offloads against Wales tonight!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Offloading is not a question of mindset but of quality line breaks combined with skill-set.
Agree with the sentiment but just for one game, and tomorrow may well be ideal, I'd love to see us offload everything for the first five or ten minutes just to totally mess with the defensive plans that England have in place. I love the idea of England being all pumped up to swallow up our bigger ball carriers but the ball being moved before they can overpower us and then have them second guessing themselves for the rest of the game. That's a bit simplistic obviously but would love to see something along those lines.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Agree with the sentiment but just for one game, and tomorrow may well be ideal, I'd love to see us offload everything for the first five or ten minutes just to totally mess with the defensive plans that England have in place. I love the idea of England being all pumped up to swallow up our bigger ball carriers but the ball being moved before they can overpower us and then have them second guessing themselves for the rest of the game. That's a bit simplistic obviously but would love to see something along those lines.
Yes, there's a rather stereotypical bullishness about England tomorrow, and it's not just Jones. They seem to be a bit dismissive of Ireland. They're expecting to devour our scrum, deal with our kicking game without too much difficulty, generally beat us up in the collisions and at the breakdown, and then after we tire in the final 20 minutes run in a couple of tries with the likes of Joseph and Watson.

It would be good to f%~k with them at the very least.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Golf Man wrote:
jezzer wrote:I really think we can win this. If Henderson had been fit, I'd even be confident about it. I like our bench, Madigan aside (though the placekicking accuracy is a big plus in a tight game).

Don't do that
But Siege is still ok yeah?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Xanthippe wrote:
Yep. France had something like 23 offloads against Wales tonight!!!
Yep, most of them in their own 22, winning is for losers.
Daniel Sullivan
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

neiliog93 wrote:
Yes, there's a rather stereotypical bullishness about England tomorrow, and it's not just Jones. They seem to be a bit dismissive of Ireland. They're expecting to devour our scrum, deal with our kicking game without too much difficulty, generally beat us up in the collisions and at the breakdown, and then after we tire in the final 20 minutes run in a couple of tries with the likes of Joseph and Watson.
Twas ever thus. Even after a desperate World Cup and winning the title once in 13 years, they're still nearly everyone's favourites for the tournament. It's England and it's all part of the fun.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

It will be interesting to see how they manage our kicking game without Axels buddy
Daniel Sullivan
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Getting excited now, finally we see Joe take a couple of risks. I really hope he allows the team to play, rather than sticking to the plan regardless of how the game is going.

Great to see Dillane get a call up, it really shows how important it was for the irfu to invest in connacht.
Hopefully we get to see Dillane back in the red of Munster soon.

I think this match may be too soon for Josh, but delighted he is getting a shot.

My only complaint would be the retention of Madigan on the bench, pj really had earned his place imo.

Reddan still getting a call up shows how poor we are at developing scrum halves.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I'd say PJ earned his place right up until he earned his exit.
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Peg Leg wrote:
I have no idea how he got that nickname but..... That has to be the cringiest one since the most awkward momets of Cringy McCringe of Cringetown County Cringe.

Even if he got it rescuing children from a burning building.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

On train to twickers. On the hunt for a spare ticket. Any tips for pubs around twickers to chase one down?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
I have no idea how he got that nickname but..... That has to be the cringiest one since the most awkward momets of Cringy McCringe of Cringetown County Cringe.

Even if he got it rescuing children from a burning building.
Seejay minus the ay
Daniel Sullivan