6 Nations (Women)

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: 6 Nations (Women)

Post by Logorrhea »

Ireland beat these girls in Wales by 40 points last year. Now I understand the Wales have now got 12 professional players (only been a recent development) and the Irish team is really young, but they are in for a pretty tough season by the looks of it.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Felt sorry for them yesterday, played so much good rugby after a nervy start and before the late collapse. Tbh I think technique or not competing in the air would only improve the maul defence a small amount, we could do with more size or at least a stronger bench.

Even when we played well I thought we could have done with another carrier or two up front but the handling and support play was very good. Higgins is growing all the time in attack but she could do with taking less out of the ball. We used the wingers really well but it feels like that intelligent and skilful attacking play is just fighting a losing battle if we’re not going to be as fit or strong as some of the other teams.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Unbelievable try from Ireland there. It’s going to be a tough day at the office but that shows that there’s serious talent there and they can play ball.

Some great defence on our line just before that as well but just so hard to keep that up for any length of time.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

there must have been 30-odd phases in the buildup
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Any chance we could have a commentator who doesn’t think a knock on is a penalty?
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

That was a hard watch.

There is plenty of athletic ability, heart and physical capabilities in that group - but their basic skills such as catching and passing a ball are very poor.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 4:09 pm Any chance we could have a commentator who doesn’t think a knock on is a penalty?
More than once he offered this interesting opinion.

A very disappointing performance albeit against an excellent team. Far too many unforced errors.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ireland will face Italy in Musgrave on Sunday (5pm), the first time a Women’s international has been played there. :shock:

Parsons is gonna start this one I think. Just give her the bleedin ball.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

blockhead wrote: April 6th, 2022, 8:21 am Ireland will face Italy in Musgrave on Sunday (5pm), the first time a Women’s international has been played there. :shock:

I don’t think that’s as easy a decision as it seems. The new style of play clearly relies a lot on Mulhall popping up around the pitch and creating for others, not sure Parsons can do that. Maybe one of them could move to fullback to get them both on the field. It’s a tricky one IMO.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 6th, 2022, 11:17 am
blockhead wrote: April 6th, 2022, 8:21 am Ireland will face Italy in Musgrave on Sunday (5pm), the first time a Women’s international has been played there. :shock:

I don’t think that’s as easy a decision as it seems. The new style of play clearly relies a lot on Mulhall popping up around the pitch and creating for others, not sure Parsons can do that. Maybe one of them could move to fullback to get them both on the field. It’s a tricky one IMO.
What?
Parsons is beyond doubt the most talented player we have, probably ever had.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIOfFS5-cqQ
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I’m not really sure what you’re arguing about my comment. In that video there are literally two passes in the whole thing.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ah jeez LRIP, apologies all around.
I thought that the following..
Maybe one of them could move to fullback to get them both on the field. It’s a tricky one IMO
...meant that you would consider not selecting Parsons in the first XV when she was available and fit.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Well it’s not so much what I think. I’d be the same as you, pick Parsons and give her the ball.

But my point was that you don’t just have a plan of using Mulhall to pop up in midfield or the far wing to create for others and then ditch that game plan entirely to get Parsons on the field. That’s not a slight on Parsons btw, just a comment on the style of play they’re trying to move to. I’m sure there’s a way of integrating Parsons into that style of play, I just don’t quite know what it is myself.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

You got a winger who terrorises defences, scores tries, and defends well just how cool do you have to be not to pick her? I guess if you are going to kick to the corners and maul all day maybe but you want to play the ball get a finisher on the team.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote: April 6th, 2022, 3:43 pm You got a winger who terrorises defences, scores tries, and defends well just how cool do you have to be not to pick her? I guess if you are going to kick to the corners and maul all day maybe but you want to play the ball get a finisher on the team.
How did that work out last year though? How often did she get the ball? If you look back I'm sure you'll see comments from me giving out about how underused she was. If you look at the highlights above many of them are to do with intercepts or getting on a loose ball, we haven't been great at getting her involved.

I'm repeating myself but it's not that I wouldn't pick her, I'm saying that the coaches clearly thought that Mulhall's ability to pop up around the park and create for others was important for the first two games (at least until HT against France when Parsons came on) so I don't think they'll want to abandon that style in favour of a simpler game plan that is more about quick hands to Parsons or her carrying in midfield. I'd back McWilliams to have a plan for this and I would imagine that she was only on the bench because she was coming back from injury.

The more I think about it the more I think that the solution might be to play Parsons at 13. Then you'd have her more involved and running off the second playmaker at 12, and could keep the same roles and tactics in the back three that they seem to want.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Eddie'O was on a podcast yesterday. Can't understand the Parsons situation (unless its injury related). It would be like him not picking BOD because he didn't suit the tactics, he said.
Another point to consider with the Women is that kicking for points has been awful since Briggs left the scene. If its not under the posts its probably gonna be missed. Choosing to go for the points is not really an option for us, again unless its under the posts.
So, we deal in tries. And we need our try scorers on the pitch.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Apologies for putting this here but is there promotion/relegation from Womens AIL?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

the spoofer wrote: April 7th, 2022, 11:45 am Apologies for putting this here but is there promotion/relegation from Womens AIL?
Ring Fenced until end of 2022/23 season
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Parsons is back in with Mulhall moving to fullback. Dane starts as well, I think she's brilliant, didn't understand that selection.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

blockhead wrote: April 7th, 2022, 1:01 pm
the spoofer wrote: April 7th, 2022, 11:45 am Apologies for putting this here but is there promotion/relegation from Womens AIL?
Ring Fenced until end of 2022/23 season
Thanks.