Re: 6 Nations (Women)

Post by Hippo »

Fantastic finish!
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Great scenes at the end there! Brilliant hands and finish for the winning try.

For a team that’s had such a disastrous few years, were under the microscope, and were missing so many players, the composure they showed in the last quarter to not panic at the set piece or with their discipline or try a risky pass was seriously impressive. They won’t catch England or France any time soon but you’d have to be encouraged about where the team is going.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 24th, 2022, 2:20 pm That got real ugly, real quick.

Still, it'll be worth it when the 248 people tune in online to watch the Sevens finish fifth next weekend - that'll keep the next generation inspired
Someone on Twitter pointed out that the IRFU didn’t even tweet once about the sevens yesterday.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 1st, 2022, 1:02 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: April 24th, 2022, 2:20 pm That got real ugly, real quick.

Still, it'll be worth it when the 248 people tune in online to watch the Sevens finish fifth next weekend - that'll keep the next generation inspired
Someone on Twitter pointed out that the IRFU didn’t even tweet once about the sevens yesterday.
Well they beat my prediction on finishing place by making the semis - though you wouldn't know it from the Irish Rugby twitter account.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Well beaten by Australia in the semi final
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

That was a badly needed last gasp win. Something positive to hang on to while everybody else heads down under for a festival of womens rugby.
Positives this season.
Neve Jones and Sam "Sonny Bill" Monaghan.
Also, the coaching ticket, trying desperatley to wipe the slate clean and put the best foot forward.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Good piece of writing here and some totally logical proposals from two very talented sisters (in different sports) who deserve to have their opinions listened to.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/050 ... ller-ball/

I hope the first instinct of the IRFU is to evaluate how they might test this theory out, rather than reject it because they hadn't thought of it.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 5th, 2022, 7:51 pm Good piece of writing here and some totally logical proposals from two very talented sisters (in different sports) who deserve to have their opinions listened to.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2022/050 ... ller-ball/

I hope the first instinct of the IRFU is to evaluate how they might test this theory out, rather than reject it because they hadn't thought of it.
Funny line,
"Naturally, we have smaller hands, that’s just our physiology, it’s nothing to do with not being able to play with a size 5 ball.
Then what is this entire article about?

Also WTF would the IRFU be doing testing this theory out if you had to go back to the size 5 ball when you actually play in comps.

Also, Eimear won out in the looks department for sure.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sene Naoupu retiring from international rugby, rough few years to be involved in that team but she's been great for us.

Great to see the contract situation in the women's game, things look far more promising than they did a year or so ago and credit to all those who put their necks on the line to make it happen. Long road ahead but it does feel like there's been a meaningful change now and I expect things to improve, although I'm sure 7s will put a spanner in the works for a while yet.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: August 15th, 2022, 4:05 pm Sene Naoupu retiring from international rugby, rough few years to be involved in that team but she's been great for us.

Great to see the contract situation in the women's game, things look far more promising than they did a year or so ago and credit to all those who put their necks on the line to make it happen. Long road ahead but it does feel like there's been a meaningful change now and I expect things to improve, although I'm sure 7s will put a spanner in the works for a while yet.
Huge contributor over her career. A sound and positive person as well as being a big competitor.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by LeRouxIsPHat

Sene Naoupu retiring from international rugby, rough few years to be involved in that team but she's been great for us.

A tremendous competitor and had a great career at Connacht, Leinster and for Ireland. One of the greats.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Yip, Sene sure has been a stand-out performer in Irish women's rugby. Best wishes to her in the future, in particular should she decide to continue the media punditry.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Wasn't sure where to put this link to the TG4 documentary about the emergence of women's rugby in Ireland.

The style is a little clunky initially but it picks up intensity and contains some really great interviews. It's incredible to hear that some of the players who played in the first international match against Scotland met for the first time in the hotel in Edinburgh. Twenty one years later they inflicted the first defeat on the Black Ferns in sixteen years - an incredible achievement.
As the professional era begins, it's great to review how the foundations were set:
https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/play/?pid= ... ode=648743

the narration is in Irish, and English subtitles are available by clicking on the third icon from the right on the viewer.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

berliner wrote: January 11th, 2023, 9:36 pm Wasn't sure where to put this link to the TG4 documentary about the emergence of women's rugby in Ireland.

The style is a little clunky initially but it picks up intensity and contains some really great interviews. It's incredible to hear that some of the players who played in the first international match against Scotland met for the first time in the hotel in Edinburgh. Twenty one years later they inflicted the first defeat on the Black Ferns in sixteen years - an incredible achievement.
As the professional era begins, it's great to review how the foundations were set:
https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/play/?pid= ... ode=648743

the narration is in Irish, and English subtitles are available by clicking on the third icon from the right on the viewer.
Grma!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Ireland scrum-half Kathryn Dane has revealed that she suffered a brain haemorrhage during national team training in Dublin.

Bloody hell, speeding recovery young woman.
Our top scrum-half, won't be seeing her this season I'd say.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Very, very disappointing result today.

You'd worry about what France & England will do to this team.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Unfortunately things haven’t improved for this tournament in the next game either. England just shunted the Scotland scrum back like they were children (on Scotlands put in). England currently lead 43-0 with 30 minutes still to go :(
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 25th, 2023, 5:59 pm Unfortunately things haven’t improved for this tournament in the next game either. England just shunted the Scotland scrum back like they were children (on Scotlands put in). England currently lead 43-0 with 30 minutes still to go :(
Suddenly there is a chasm between Ireland and Wales....WALES. Last time in 2021 when we played them there we won 45-0!
And finishing in the Top 3 of this 6N is so important (https://www.world.rugby/news/624272).
We will spend the next 2 years, at least, in the 2nd division.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

'I thought it was 31-0 (at half-time) so I was happy that it was better than I thought it was.'
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2023/032 ... ent-wrong/

That's...not a great quote from McWilliams.