November Internationals 2016

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

jimbobjoe
Mullet

November Internationals 2016

Post by jimbobjoe »

Ireland to play New Zealand in Chicago and Dublin, Australia in Dublin and a tier 2 nation.

I've long thought that the November schedules for Ireland have been too light and we haven't been tested enough. This is a step in the right direction to progress further and see where we stand against the top teams. On top of a tough 3 test summer tour to South Africa we should be in a good place in terms of knowing whats required for 2019. Hopefully this won't be a one-off.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: November Internationals 2016

Post by simonokeeffe »

truck load of cash for the IRFU but we have 3 tests in South Africa this summer after a RWC season so the provinces will see next to nothing of the internationals next Autumn
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

simonokeeffe wrote:truck load of cash for the IRFU but we have 3 tests in South Africa this summer after a RWC season so the provinces will see next to nothing of the internationals next Autumn

I think that's a good thing, IMHO, being forced to field 'less than first choice' squads early in the season exposes our extended squad to higher level of competition, and exposes opportunities for improvement for individual players, giving adequate time to address these early in the season.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Noooooooooooo, we've gone down the Bruce Craig route :(

Flip side of that is that if we're at the forefront of something like this (and I know it's happened before) then hopefully we can control it/lead the way.

Also delighted that we get two cracks at NZ, I'm going to say that we'll definitely win one of them. It'd be slightly weird if it was in the states though, almost not as good for some reason. Big opportunity to put ourselves back on the map next year, a real opportunity to beat SA away and beat NZ for the first time. Exciting.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Also delighted that we get two cracks at NZ, I'm going to say that we'll definitely win one of them. It'd be slightly weird if it was in the states though, almost not as good for some reason.
I suspect if does happen we'll just about manage to cope with the fact that it happened in the States :lol:
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm sure you're right, but I think this is a big step towards decreasing the importance of test matches. I know plenty of teams have rested players for big games over the years but to me this is another step in that direction, so instead of rowing back and ensuring that test matches are huge events, they'll become more like football friendlies at international level and be more about making money than anything else.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm sure you're right, but I think this is a big step towards decreasing the importance of test matches. I know plenty of teams have rested players for big games over the years but to me this is another step in that direction, so instead of rowing back and ensuring that test matches are huge events, they'll become more like football friendlies at international level and be more about making money than anything else.
There's a definite air of that about it for sure. I also wonder about the wisdom of shipping the entire squad off to Chicago for a match. I suspect Joe might prefer to rotate the squad between the matches and spare one or two the long haul travel.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Maybe Joe will welcome the chance to get a bit of sun* and break out the selfie stick on a jollier?

*im aware it'll be freezing.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Even though it's a RWC year and the lads will be tired, and we were pretty poor in Joe's last Summer Tour to Argentina (don't look at the results, we didn't play well especially second test against their second/third string), I think we'll beat a transitional SA with a new coach at least once in the three-test tour. Could well win the series.

I also agree that I think we'll beat the AB's at least once (especially if they play a slightly weakened team in the Chicago game as they're wont to do). Will probably lose against Cheika's Australia, were a bit lucky to beat them last time an they've come on a lot...the tier 2 country will either be Romania or Georgia, probably Romania as we played Georgia in 2014 AI's and we had contact with Romania at the RWC. An optimistic but somewhat realistic scenario: Win series vs SA 2-1, beat AB's once + lose once, and lose narrowly against Oz. Win against Romania with a second string in a professional performance in a match that could go wrong.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I wonder if the match in Chicago has anything to do with a rumoured new sponsor and 'brand' 'synergies'
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

If we're playing four games, then one of those matches is outside of the test window, which means that Leinster will be without their internationals for a game against opposition who will be unaffected this way - amirite?
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:If we're playing four games, then one of those matches is outside of the test window, which means that Leinster will be without their internationals for a game against opposition who will be unaffected this way - amirite?
unless its an interpro

but we are still effed
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

neiliog93 wrote:Even though it's a RWC year and the lads will be tired, and we were pretty poor in Joe's last Summer Tour to Argentina (don't look at the results, we didn't play well especially second test against their second/third string), I think we'll beat a transitional SA with a new coach at least once in the three-test tour. Could well win the series.

I also agree that I think we'll beat the AB's at least once (especially if they play a slightly weakened team in the Chicago game as they're wont to do). Will probably lose against Cheika's Australia, were a bit lucky to beat them last time an they've come on a lot...the tier 2 country will either be Romania or Georgia, probably Romania as we played Georgia in 2014 AI's and we had contact with Romania at the RWC. An optimistic but somewhat realistic scenario: Win series vs SA 2-1, beat AB's once + lose once, and lose narrowly against Oz. Win against Romania with a second string in a professional performance in a match that could go wrong.
Well I suppose a series win in SA and a first ever win against NZ would be OK. :)