Gordon Darcy - says it all

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

All Blacks nil
Mullet

Gordon Darcy - says it all

Post by All Blacks nil »

Quote from his Irish times column.
Juan Imhoff’s second try on Sunday had Graham Henry’s influence all over it. The line he ran off Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe’s break would not be natural to most Irish players. If I was there I wouldn’t have been looking for Lobbe’s offload, but to clean the ruck when he was tackled. That’s the difference unfortunately: Imhoff had no eyes for rucking and Lobbe had no eyes for his winger, but expected someone to be there.
A pretty damning indictment of Ireland's style of play.
First player that played under Joe (since 2010/11 season -four full seasons) to publically criticise the system.

When it gets to the stage that wingers are picked firstly for their recycling ability, something is wrong.

As I asked in another thread

Will/can Joe/Ireland open up?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Gordon Darcy - says it all

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Have you given the full context there old chum.

When I read the column I clearly understood that D'arce had built around this point with stuff like we learn the basics too late, train the U12s with corre t technique and we can turn them into athletes later.

Stuff like the kilkenny hurlers are born with a hurl in their hand.

I can check back in later after I've had time to read the column, but at the moment, this looks like a quote mine, and may not really support what you want it to.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Context context context ............... provide some or f*ck off with yourself.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

if the guys cant/dont do it at provincial level though its tricky to get them to do it at international level

expect that to change this season though
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Logorrhea wrote:Context context context ............... provide some or f*ck off with yourself.
Context is that our second most capped centre of all time ( an educated guess) and one half of a world record breaking international centre partnership was conditioned to look to clear out a player who had not yet been tackled (in this particular case he actually wasn't even tackled as Ruddock didn't get to him) rather than run a support line looking for an offload.
This after playing practically his whole career as a centre inside the most capped Irish player in history and the most capped centre of all time.
Context

As I said above when it gets to the stage wingers are chosen firstly for their recycling ability you know something is rotten.

Classy language.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on October 22nd, 2015, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Context is, AB0 struggled to understand the article. Unsurprisingly.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:Context context context ............... provide some or f*ck off with yourself.
Context is that our second most capped centre of all time ( an educated guess) and one half of a world record breaking international centre partnership was conditioned to look to clear out a player who had not yet been tackled (in this particular case he actually wasn't even tackled as Ruddock didn't get to him) rather than run a support line looking for an offload.
This after playing practically his whole career as a centre inside the most capped Irish player in history and the most capped centre of all time.
Context

As I said above when it gets to the stage wingers are picked chosen firstly for their recycling ability you know something is rotten.

Classy language.
k,

how about this one: Please provide the context around this very obvious quote mine. Here is a link to the article - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2399288 - can you back up your assertion with D'Arcy's words?

Let's be very honest about this: What you have done is incredibly dishonest and is called quote mining.

I have quoted the best known example below where Young Earthers quote mine Darwin to say that he in fact does not really believe in Evolution by natural selection:
To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree.
The full quote, which truly states Darwin's position is below:
To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree. Yet reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a perfect and complex eye to one very imperfect and simple, each grade being useful to its possessor, can be shown to exist; if further, the eye does vary ever so slightly, and the variations be inherited, which is certainly the case; and if any variation or modification in the organ be ever useful to an animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, can hardly be considered real. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself first originated; but I may remark that several facts make me suspect that any sensitive nerve may be rendered sensitive to light, and likewise to those coarser vibrations of the air which produce sound.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Context

As I said above when it gets to the stage wingers are chosen firstly for their recycling ability you know something is rotten.

Classy language.
Or how about this: A poster on the Blue Magoo Site when talking about the Context of one of the Irish centres has said
All Blacks nil wrote:something is rotten.
They're blaming Earlsey for the loss.

Worthy of Fleet street
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: They're blaming Earlsey for the loss.

Worthy of Fleet street
Normal service resumed.
As an aside, I think it's Watford now! :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

All Blacks nil wrote:Classy language.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Shameful AB0.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

All Blacks nil wrote:Quote from his Irish times column.
Juan Imhoff’s second try on Sunday had Graham Henry’s influence all over it. The line he ran off Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe’s break would not be natural to most Irish players. If I was there I wouldn’t have been looking for Lobbe’s offload, but to clean the ruck when he was tackled. That’s the difference unfortunately: Imhoff had no eyes for rucking and Lobbe had no eyes for his winger, but expected someone to be there.
A pretty damning indictment of Ireland's style of play.
First player that played under Joe (since 2010/11 season -four full seasons) to publically criticise the system.

When it gets to the stage that wingers are picked firstly for their recycling ability, something is wrong.

As I asked in another thread

Will/can Joe/Ireland open up?
Well for the sake of balance, another Irish Ligend thinks we shouldn't bother opening up!

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/ronan-ogara-i ... alk/313503

"Since Joe Schmidt took over, there wasn't anyone complaining about how we were playing. With that game we were a kick away from beating New Zealand in the Aviva."

"I wouldn't be of the opinion that Ireland play a stagnant game. I think people are misreading it a bit in terms of style of play."

"I don't think our gameplan is that wrong and I don't think the divide between the northern and the southern hemisphere is that big an issue."

Hmmm! Who to believe? Maybe its just his opinion and it doesn't mean he's right. Maybe just because a great player says something about his sport, it may not be 'gospel'

Should I open up a new thread called "ROG - says it all too"?
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

You could do.

Although I disagree with him when he says

"
Since Joe Schmidt took over, there wasn't anyone complaining about how we were playing. With that game we were a kick away from beating New Zealand in the Aviva."

Argentina up to very recently have played a dour, heavy lifting, heavy hitting more or less 10 man game. Many of this side would have played such rugby with the Pumas.
While Darcy justifiably advocates a complete root and branch of coaching at underage, you have to realise that Argentina ( while they may also be changing their underage coaching philosophy) completely completely changed the style of play of their international team since RWC2011 and most probably since they saw their previous style fail to cut the mustard when they joined the Rugby Championship in 2012

If the coach has the will the players have the skill.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

All Blacks nil wrote:You could do.

Although I disagree with him when he says

"
Since Joe Schmidt took over, there wasn't anyone complaining about how we were playing. With that game we were a kick away from beating New Zealand in the Aviva."

Argentina up to very recently have played a dour, heavy lifting, heavy hitting more or less 10 man game. Many of this side would have played such rugby with the Pumas.
While Darcy justifiably advocates a complete root and branch of coaching at underage, you have to realise that Argentina ( while they may also be changing their underage coaching philosophy) completely completely changed the style of play of their international team since RWC2011 and most probably since they saw their previous style fail to cut the mustard when they joined the Rugby Championship in 2012

OH I see you've now read D'Acry's article, did you get to this bit yet?
The gap between New Zealand, Australia and South Africa and Ireland has widened substantially in my mind. The tier two nations have undoubtedly improved, but the gap between Argentina and us exposed our worst fears, while showing the benefits of their 22 Test matches since 2012 against the former Tri-Nations.
Are you still sure that the quote in the OP supports your agenda?
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Your point is ??

My agenda is that the most capped Leinster player (I think) of all time and a part of the most capped centre partnership of all time should have that mindset.
We have seen how quickly with positive coaching the Argentina modes operandi has changed.

Again I say

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

All Blacks nil wrote:Your point is ??

My agenda is that the most capped Leinster player (I think) of all time and a part of the most capped centre partnership of all time should have that mindset.
We have seen how quickly with positive coaching the Argentina modes operandi has changed.

Again I say

What a tangled web we weave... you're jumping through hoops now AB0,

D'Arcy says we need to improve underage coaching, rugby is very much a minority sport, playing better opposition forces you to play better.

can all be summed up as stop playing bogball and wendyball, invest in underage coaching and play better teams internationally.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:Your point is ??

Again I say

What a tangled web we weave... you're jumping through hoops now AB0,

D'Arcy says we need to improve underage coaching, rugby is very much a minority sport, playing better opposition forces you to play better.

can all be summed up as stop playing bogball and wendyball, invest in underage coaching and play better teams internationally.
I remember one drunken night in the HoShow I suggested the GAA was a blight on rugby and as such should be disbanded. I was lucky to leave alive :lol:
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

I would expect all 23 who played against Argentina to be in contention for the Six Nations. Some have said Mike Ross might not but he is still our best tight head & it is up to White, Moore, Furlong to challenge him.

We would hope to have Sexton, Payne, Bowe available & O'Brien will be back. The new players I would be looking out for would be Marmion & Stander.

The player who could benefit from O'Mahony's absence is Ruddock. He has all the ability to have an outstanding season.

Re playing style I think as most do that Schmidt has maximised the players available but now in his third season may add some risk to our game in specific situations.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

matt wrote:I would expect all 23 who played against Argentina to be in contention for the Six Nations. Some have said Mike Ross might not but he is still our best tight head & it is up to White, Moore, Furlong to challenge him.

We would hope to have Sexton, Payne, Bowe available & O'Brien will be back. The new players I would be looking out for would be Marmion & Stander.

The player who could benefit from O'Mahony's absence is Ruddock. He has all the ability to have an outstanding season.

Re playing style I think as most do that Schmidt has maximised the players available but now in his third season may add some risk to our game in specific situations.
I reckon Marty Moore is superior to mike Ross, and if fit would probably have started with Ross coming on, he's proven himself to be as solid a scrummager at least and for a big guy has decent pace about the pitch.

Wrt playing style, first up is we need a quicker decision at the base of the ruck, JS needs to be fit, mad dog needs to slow down a little and would love to see henshaw moved out one position. Who fits in at 12 though? Mccloskey anyone?
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

matt wrote:I would expect all 23 who played against Argentina to be in contention for the Six Nations. Some have said Mike Ross might not but he is still our best tight head & it is up to White, Moore, Furlong to challenge him.

Can someone ask Drico to relent on Trimble's inclusion? I reckon we need him on the wing.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.