Ireland: what next?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Ireland: what next?

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:He's already in the promised land.
He is one of the chosen ones after all.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

simonokeeffe wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Great to see Dillane getting a call up, will be interesting to see if Munster try to lure him home in the next couple of seasons.
Paris?
:lol:
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

It will be Payne at 13 as he is playing there this week even though we could do with him at 15
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

rooster wrote:It will be Payne at 13 as he is playing there this week even though we could do with him at 15
Might just be precautionary in case Henshaw fails fitness test
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

munster#1 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Great to see Dillane getting a call up, will be interesting to see if Munster try to lure him home in the next couple of seasons.
Paris?
You really have to work on that sense of humour.

Rumour is that Heaslip is looking to return home to Israel, ha ha.
An actual comedian cracks an actual joke and you tell him to get a sense of humour. :lol:
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Oldschool wrote:
rooster wrote:It will be Payne at 13 as he is playing there this week even though we could do with him at 15
Might just be precautionary in case Henshaw fails fitness test
Would like to see Payne left at 15 to give RK some real competition. I know he is a good option at 13 but if we had a fit Henshaw then the rest of the options available in the centre should be more than good enough. McCloskey and Henshaw would be an interesting pairing. Which leads to the question of what is Henshaws best position. Will he remain a 12, move out to 13 or back to 15.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

johng wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Paris?
You really have to work on that sense of humour.

Rumour is that Heaslip is looking to return home to Israel, ha ha.
An actual comedian cracks an actual joke and you tell him to get a sense of humour. :lol:
No, I was joking , and I advised him to work on his sense of humour.

It's obvious that he has a sense of humour, much like my grandad did. He likes the cheesy, please the elderly type jokes.

I'd say he's a comedian much like I'm a go cart driver, sure I go to the track every now and then, and I've even won a couple of prizes, such as furry dice, air fresheners, etc.

PS this is all said light heartedly, I'm sure Simon is a nice guy, and may well make a living telling cheesy jokes..
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
Heaslip is a false prophet

Stander is the messiah

The Kerry players all forsaking the (brave &) faithful are heretics
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder if there's an injury doubt about one of the hookers? Seems strange to have so many in a reasonably small squad.

Great to see Luke Marshall back btw. Have to say I didn't think it would ever happen because of his injuries but he's really got his mojo back.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder if there's an injury doubt about one of the hookers? Seems strange to have so many in a reasonably small squad.

Great to see Luke Marshall back btw. Have to say I didn't think it would ever happen because of his injuries but he's really got his mojo back.
yeah big time, is still only 24 too

hooker is strange as they obviously want 15 v 15 in training and to allow for a few bumps and niggles

5 props 4 locks 6 backrowers

am reaching here but maybe its a case of they wanted an extra forward and we like/trust Herring but we're thin on reliable guys in other positions and or theyre better off playing themselves back into fitness eg Buckley or just getting gametime eg Foley, Murphy
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Heaslip is a false prophet - Satan more like

Stander is the messiah - After three years, day and night, in the desert he's the Super Messiah.

The Kerry players all forsaking the (brave &) faithful are heretics - Infidels all of them
C'mon Jamie
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wonder if there's an injury doubt about one of the hookers? Seems strange to have so many in a reasonably small squad.
Maybe Strauss due to concussions? Thing is, it's an attritional position, but you need to know lineout calls, so makes sense to have someone in and around the squad if they may be needed later.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah Strauss is the one I was worried about given that Best is captain and Cronin played last weekend.

Hooker is a strange position for us, lots of talent below Best but nobody really in form. Strauss has been a bit better recently but still nowhere near his best. The difference it would make for one of them to hit form would be huge.

The form of our hookers and second rows will make or break us IMO. We look weak at second row but if they do step up then the rest of the team should be golden.

Just thinking of the players left out for various reasons, some pretty impressive strength in depth for the most part.

1 - Healy
2- Sherry
3- Ross
4- Henderson
5- Touhy
6- POM
7- Henry
8- Jordi
9- McGrath
10 - JJ
11- Gilroy
12- Cave
13- Ringrose
14- Bowe
15- Olding

16- Tracy
17- Buckley/Kilcoyne
18- Ah You
19- O'Connor/Molony/Foley (if Muldowney wasn't included yesterday then I can't see when he ever would be)
20- Conan
21- Boss
22- Keatley
23- Healy/Olding

A few weak areas obviously and I'm sure others would pick a different side, but just taking it purely in terms of guys who missed out and will be back in the mix next season, it's pretty good.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If Henshaw doesn't come through a full game with Connacht, what chance McCloskey and Marshall in the centre with Payne at full back for Welsh game.

JS won't change too much unless he has too, but the two Ulster boys have looked a really good unit in several games in last 2 months
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

England 13/8
Ireland 11/4
Wales 3/1
France 5/1
Scotland 14/1
Italy 500/1
Odds for the 6 nations. Wont be putting any money on the jocks at that price.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

blockhead wrote:
England 13/8
Ireland 11/4
Wales 3/1
France 5/1
Scotland 14/1
Italy 500/1

Don't put your money on the jocks, put your money in your jocks blocky, that's what the real men do :)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:If Henshaw doesn't come through a full game with Connacht, what chance McCloskey and Marshall in the centre with Payne at full back for Welsh game.

JS won't change too much unless he has too, but the two Ulster boys have looked a really good unit in several games in last 2 months
Henshaw expected to play this weekend

whether hes 12 or 13 will be very interesting too
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:If Henshaw doesn't come through a full game with Connacht, what chance McCloskey and Marshall in the centre with Payne at full back for Welsh game.

Henshaw expected to play this weekend

whether hes 12 or 13 will be very interesting too
Not sure you could read to much into where he plays as it is such an important game for the westies that instructions from on high are unlikely. There is such talent just coming through that it is going to be interesting where they get played. You always want your best guys on the pitch so his future may be at 15 with other good option coming in the centre.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

blockhead wrote:
England 13/8
Ireland 11/4
Wales 3/1
France 5/1
Scotland 14/1
Italy 500/1
I reckon they'll do better than France though
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

blockhead wrote:
England 13/8
Ireland 11/4
Wales 3/1
France 5/1
Scotland 14/1
Italy 500/1
There's never any value in six nations outright better. Those odds are ridiculous. How could Scotland possibly warrant 14/1 to win the thing. Theres as much chance of me getting picked to start against Wales as that happening.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”