Ireland v France 11/10/2015

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland v France 11/10/2015

Post by blockhead »

Peg Leg wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:And Lions jerseys. I mean ffs people.
I'd say plenty of the home nations wear that when they are supporting the neighbours
Who, in your eyes Peg Leg, are the "Home nations"?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:I love it when the really funny lads should out c'mon munster.

Then they sing a song that most of the players on the team actually despise. Not dislike, despise.

debestfanzindewurrdeld wha.
There's a Ph.D in there somewhere for some deserving poor soul.
Name and address to:-
Sad Person's Anonymous.
Post Box +1
The Field,
Athenry.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

blockhead wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
I'd say plenty of the home nations wear that when they are supporting the neighbours
Who, in your eyes Peg Leg, are the "Home nations"?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Nations
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
its the closest thing they have probably, true derision should be reserved for the general, tournament RBS 6 nations jerseys, I did like seeing the club jerseys from Saints, Tigers etc at the games in the midlands

I only have Leinster hats and scarves so wear them at Ireland games during winter, so am giving the benefit of the doubt to some of them

but the only Irish thing these neutral English supporters own is probably a Mrs Browns Boys dvd and they cant exactly wear that
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
truebluestu
Beginner

Post by truebluestu »

I saw a lot of Welsh fans wear the Lions jersey in Cardiff, in Support of Ireland, when we were playing Canada... doesn't really make sense unless you have the green Lions Jersey!

On the subject of Ireland V France.... Is there a backup plan to swap tickets with French supporters, whatever the outcome of the match? Does anybody know any french supporters who could find out? I have Cat C tickets for QF3 (Argentina Vs Ireland/France) and would be looking to swap should the unthinkable happen on Sunday...
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Rúaidhrí O'Connor ‏@RuaidhriOC 2h2 hours ago

Talk coming out of France is that they won't go with Nakaitaci on Sun; Grosso and Dulin could be on the wing with Le Roux on the flank
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Dave Cahill wrote: Then they sing a song that most of the players on the team actually despise. Not dislike, despise.
Interesting comment - to what is it based on? If true I'd say a lot of Ireland supporters wouldn't be aware of that.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

ribs wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Then they sing a song that most of the players on the team actually despise. Not dislike, despise.
Interesting comment - to what is it based on? If true I'd say a lot of Ireland supporters wouldn't be aware of that.
I seriously doubt many players actually despise any song that an irish fan would sing.

Granted some of the ulster players make have a dislike towards the national anthem, but I doubt they would be small minded enough to actually despise it.

If any person, whether they be a player or fan can go to the extreme of actually despising a song that a fan would sign in support of a team, then I would suggest that this person is not a very stable individual.

It is more likely that the above comment is complete waffle from a deluded individual, but I would be interested in hearing who their source is, and which song they are referring to.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
truebluestu
Beginner

Post by truebluestu »

I can't stand TFOA being sung at Ireland games. Munster have ruined a song about a place in Connacht. It wasn't even their song to ruin. Alongside Liverpool, Celtic etc... It actually puts me in a bad mood mid-game.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

munster#1 wrote:
ribs wrote:
I seriously doubt many players actually despise any song that an irish fan would sing.

Granted some of the ulster players make have a dislike towards the national anthem, but I doubt they would be small minded enough to actually despise it.

If any person, whether they be a player or fan can go to the extreme of actually despising a song that a fan would sign in support of a team, then I would suggest that this person is not a very stable individual.

It is more likely that the above comment is complete waffle from a deluded individual, but I would be interested in hearing who their source is, and which song they are referring to.
Interesting, possibly groundless, claim from Dave, the man who memorably coined the phrase "ginger, well past his sell by date" when describing POC six months before he was the Six Nations player of the tournament.
The song in question is "The Fields of Athenry" a song about a man who was sentenced to transportation to Australia for stealing food in an effort to feed his starving family during the Great
Famine
During the Great Famine (c. 1847) the farmers of Athenry broke into a storehouse containing maize (field corn) which had been shipped from America by order of British Treasurer Sir Charles Trevelyan (hence, "Trevelyan's corn"). The men were arrested for theft and sentenced to transportation to the penal colony in Botany Bay (Sydney), Australia
When viewed in its social as opposed to it's geographical context, you can see why Irish people everywhere have adopted the song.

Surprising to note that many (sorry, most) of the Irish players despise the song.
I wouldn't expect Dave to reveal his source. It would add authenticity to his claim, but such sentiments were obviously privately divulged and it would be unethical of Dave to reveal them. Also surprising to note that most of the players confided such inner thoughts to Dave
Last edited by All Blacks nil on October 7th, 2015, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ribs wrote:
Leinster and Ulster players have commented on it in public and in private a number of times, its no great secret that even the Munster players aren't overly enamoured of it, though they don't find its singing as insulting as the rest do.

No skin of my nose though, a mate of mine owns the publishing :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ribs wrote:
Leinster and Ulster players have commented on it in public and in private a number of times, its no great secret that even the Munster players aren't overly enamoured of it, though they don't find its singing as insulting as the rest do.

No skin of my nose though, a mate of mine owns the publishing :lol:
It's just a terrible song. I'll sing it at a match but fark me it's maudlin. Can we not sing something by Queen, like One Vision. That's an uplifting number
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

RoboProp wrote: It's just a terrible song. I'll sing it at a match but fark me it's maudlin. Can we not sing something by Queen, like One Vision. That's an uplifting number
Its no fluke that people only started complaining about the atmosphere in Lansdowne road in the late 90s
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm in the same age bracket as a lot of the Ireland squad and would move in some of the same circles. I have never heard anyone my age discuss the merits of the song and would be shocked if many in the squad have ever done so.

Just like I'd be shocked if many knew what the words to our national anthem actually meant. I do because it was on the back of homework journals in school but probably wouldn't otherwise.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm in the same age bracket as a lot of the Ireland squad and would move in some of the same circles. I have never heard anyone my age discuss the merits of the song and would be shocked if many in the squad have ever done so.

Just like I'd be shocked if many knew what the words to our national anthem actually meant. I do because it was on the back of homework journals in school but probably wouldn't otherwise.

We had to learn it by heart in English and Irish
I have Bumbleflex
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Dave Cahill wrote:
RoboProp wrote: It's just a terrible song. I'll sing it at a match but fark me it's maudlin. Can we not sing something by Queen, like One Vision. That's an uplifting number
Its no fluke that people only started complaining about the atmosphere in Lansdowne road in the late 90s
that's right Dave

although the fact that Ireland won one home Five Nations match between 1995 and 1999 might have been a bigger contributor

played 10 - won 1 - lost 9 - points for 139 - points against 240 - Trys for 10 - Trys against 26

1995 8-20 v England
7-25 v France
1996 10-16 v Scotland
30-17 v Wales
1997 15-32 v France
6-46 v England
1998 16-17 v Scotland
21-30 v Wales
1999 9-10 v France
15-27 v England

All down to the song
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

We were sh!t between 90 and 95 too, but it wasn't until you all came back from Anfield with your new tune that things took a nosedive
I have Bumbleflex
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Dave Cahill wrote:We were sh!t between 90 and 95 too, but it wasn't until you all came back from Anfield with your new tune that things took a nosedive
That must be it so.
Which players publically declared their dislike of the song?

It replaced a song about a second generation mobile sushi vendor in the capital who unfortunately contracted an incurable fever and subsequently died.
Last edited by All Blacks nil on October 7th, 2015, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

so The Fields of Athenry sparked an upturn in Irish rugby?
so people from Limerick robbing stuff is a surprise?
so we should sing a Queen song that isn't Fat Bottomed girls?
so 18+ counts as an age bracket now?
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

simonokeeffe wrote:so The Fields of Athenry sparked an upturn in Irish rugby? No, Munster and Ulster rugby did that by being competitive and eventually winning HC .
so people from Limerick robbing stuff is a surprise? Straight back up the M7
so we should sing a Queen song that isn't Fat Bottomed girls? Another one bites the dust
so 18+ counts as an age bracket now? Adults only