Ireland v France 11/10/2015

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Ireland v France 11/10/2015

Post by Oldschool »

From now on, no more talk about winning the RWC, let's just take each game at a time.
France will try to bully us into submission.
What are we going to do about it?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland v France 11/10/2015

Post by blockhead »

Oldschool wrote:From now on, no more talk about winning the RWC, let's just take each game at a time.
Hide behind the sofa.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschool wrote:From now on, no more talk about winning the RWC, let's just take each game at a time.
Hide behind the sofa.
Fetchez la Vache
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

domhnallj wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Hide behind the sofa.
Fetchez la Vache
jouer au ping-pong avec des ballons
Flying wedge
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

domhnallj wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Hide behind the sofa.
Fetchez la Vache
Ha
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

domhnallj wrote:
Fetchez la Vache
:clap:
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Being here in London over the weekend and today makes one realise the power of the media. Yesterday, Sunday 4th Oct, there was an NFL game -Jets and Dolphins in Wembley, Arseal v Man Utd in the Emirates and finally Ire v Italy in Olympic Stadium.

However, including the Premiership game, the sports media totally focussed on England's Sat night defeat and the inquisition of Lancaster & Robshaw etc.

It is easy to see why English playwrights, novelists and historians have dominated their genres when Lancaster / Farrell / Ritchie / Rowntree / Catt give them such a rich diet of melodrama upon which to feed. Cameron and Prince Harry haven't been implicated yet, but its only Monday night.

Ireland may well have avoided the falling knife that is the expectations of English media, by dint of our poor display against Italy. Gatland has probably inherited this 'wonderful' support, and it couldn't happen to a more worthy recipient. Cheiks has ducked and weaved with lots of "move along, nothing to see here" comments and he may well stay clear, at least until they beat Wales on Sat next.

This World Cup is now well and truly competitive. The weather has changed. Some of the favourites have been shocked but are still standing. Others have not yet impressed, but are no less dangerous for all that. A noisy favourite has been displaced and the media can't decide whether they should ever have been so highly ranked, or whether the Pool A selection (4 of top 10 raked countries together) was the real culprit.

Ireland suffered a blow to their collective egos last evening. The Squad, and probably the Management, know we didn't give Italy enough respect, either in planning, but especially in execution.

Nexr Sunday, fear will return to refuel the adrenaline. By itself, it won't be sufficient. But added to respect, humility and weeks and months of match day planning, it should ensure that our performance will resemble somemore than the sum of the parts.

Winning, whilst playing badly, has long been the Holy Grail of every successful coach in professional sport. On that basis alone, JS undoubtedly has already earned his place in the pantheon. Let's hope he, and his players, have earned more plaudits, not platitudes, by next Sunday evening.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Being here in London over the weekend and today makes one realise the power of the media. Yesterday, Sunday 4th Oct, there was an NFL game -Jets and Dolphins in Wembley, Arseal v Man Utd in the Emirates and finally Ire v Italy in Olympic Stadium.

However, including the Premiership game, the sports media totally focussed on England's Sat night defeat and the inquisition of Lancaster & Robshaw etc.

It is easy to see why English playwrights, novelists and historians have dominated their genres when Lancaster / Farrell / Ritchie / Rowntree / Catt give them such a rich diet of melodrama upon which to feed. Cameron and Prince Harry haven't been implicated yet, but its only Monday night.

Ireland may well have avoided the falling knife that is the expectations of English media, by dint of our poor display against Italy. Gatland has probably inherited this 'wonderful' support, and it couldn't happen to a more worthy recipient. Cheiks has ducked and weaved with lots of "move along, nothing to see here" comments and he may well stay clear, at least until they beat Wales on Sat next.

This World Cup is now well and truly competitive. The weather has changed. Some of the favourites have been shocked but are still standing. Others have not yet impressed, but are no less dangerous for all that. A noisy favourite has been displaced and the media can't decide whether they should ever have been so highly ranked, or whether the Pool A selection (4 of top 10 raked countries together) was the real culprit.

Ireland suffered a blow to their collective egos last evening. The Squad, and probably the Management, know we didn't give Italy enough respect, either in planning, but especially in execution.

Nexr Sunday, fear will return to refuel the adrenaline. By itself, it won't be sufficient. But added to respect, humility and weeks and months of match day planning, it should ensure that our performance will resemble somemore than the sum of the parts.

Winning, whilst playing badly, has long been the Holy Grail of every successful coach in professional sport. On that basis alone, JS undoubtedly has already earned his place in the pantheon. Let's hope he, and his players, have earned more plaudits, not platitudes, by next Sunday evening.
Prime Minister's questions are on Thursday.....In view of England's disastrous showing in the RWC, does the right honourable. ..
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Oldschool wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:Being here in London over the weekend and today makes one realise the power of the media. Yesterday, Sunday 4th Oct, there was an NFL game -Jets and Dolphins in Wembley, Arseal v Man Utd in the Emirates and finally Ire v Italy in Olympic Stadium.

Prime Minister's questions are on Thursday.....In view of England's disastrous showing in the RWC, does the right honourable. ..
Harry may not be directly implicated but some Australian republicans (it means something completely different down there :) ) have moaned about his blatant favouring of one Commonwealth nation over another by wearing an England jersey. I've always suspected that William is slightly pissed off about having to support Wales and cannot get behind the country of his birth because he came up trumps in the lottery of birth.
The UK media is certainly a fearsome behemoth though; Irelands lack of a 24 hour news channel is something to be grateful for in some respects although we wouldn't have had the past problems with corrupt politicans and organised crime if our media wielded more power.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I get "royalty" all mixed up. Is the one that "supports" Wales the one with the English father rather than the one with the "Welsh" father who wears a kilt?

It is so hard to tell. Not that they, you know, look like each other...
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote:I get "royalty" all mixed up. Is the one that "supports" Wales the one with the English father rather than the one with the "Welsh" father who wears a kilt?

Careful now.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

From PSA

“It seems they have been outstanding against Romania,” report Sports.fr, adding that Saint-Andre is acting intentionally naive.

“They are fantastic, they are beautiful, they are beefy, and then they play in green…”
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

outcast eddie wrote:
Harry may not be directly implicated but some Australian republicans (it means something completely different down there :) ) have moaned about his blatant favouring of one Commonwealth nation over another by wearing an England jersey. I've always suspected that William is slightly pissed off about having to support Wales and cannot get behind the country of his birth because he came up trumps in the lottery of birth.
The UK media is certainly a fearsome behemoth though; Irelands lack of a 24 hour news channel is something to be grateful for in some respects although we wouldn't have had the past problems with corrupt politicans and organised crime if our media wielded more power.

Nah, sure wont he inherit Wales - same way the Queen of Scotland is nearly always at the 6Ns games in Murrayfield. Funny little ways they have over in Britian

Anyway back to the republics (nearly forgot the Nordies :oops: )

We can win or draw this, but we cant make any slips. I think we are matched in the scrum and line out, with our structured kicking game just getting us over the line in the past.

Seriously though, I do think we could win this because qualification has taken the pressure off us whilst France have not bettered us in a while.
Last edited by olaf the fat on October 6th, 2015, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Have a bit of an “off the wall” suggestion for Sunday in Cardiff.
How about everyone that goes to the game to support Ireland wears GREEN (not blue, red or white).
Suggestion may seem a bit OTT but initially it looked like there was a sizable Canadian support at the last game in Cardiff – on looking closer, I realised that most of those wearing red were apparently supporting Ireland.
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

blockhead wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:I get "royalty" all mixed up. Is the one that "supports" Wales the one with the English father rather than the one with the "Welsh" father who wears a kilt?

Careful now.
:clap: :clap:
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

Barry wrote:Have a bit of an “off the wall” suggestion for Sunday in Cardiff.
How about everyone that goes to the game to support Ireland wears GREEN (not blue, red or white).
Suggestion may seem a bit OTT but initially it looked like there was a sizable Canadian support at the last game in Cardiff – on looking closer, I realised that most of those wearing red were apparently supporting Ireland.
Hear hear. Against Italy, the lad beside me had a green jersey on. But it was a little chilly, so he put on his jacket ... which was as blue as the Italian jersey!
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

The only provincial jersey which should be seen at an Ireland game is the green Connacht one! I was there on Sunday and reckon I saw more Munster\Leinster jersies than Italian ones.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

And Lions jerseys. I mean ffs people.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I love it when the really funny lads should out c'mon munster.

Then they sing a song that most of the players on the team actually despise. Not dislike, despise.

debestfanzindewurrdeld wha.
I have Bumbleflex
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Logorrhea wrote:And Lions jerseys. I mean ffs people.
I'd say plenty of the home nations wear that when they are supporting the neighbours
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan