Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Next England Coach & Captain

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:Midi Olympique reporting Schmidt to replace Lancaster....
why would he take a step down, for the money it would take to get Schmidt it would be cheaper to have all opposing international players killed

I read an interesting column from Brian Ashton a few weeks ago on England producing athletes but not problem solvers (adaptable skilled players). He was asked to cast his eye over Northampton's trials for u13s, first thing said to them was we're going to do some physical tests and cut half of you based on them; a lot easier to make a smart player bigger than a big player smarter
Does anyone that make any sense to anyone?
?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

I read an interesting column from Brian Ashton a few weeks ago on England producing athletes but not problem solvers (adaptable skilled players). He was asked to cast his eye over Northampton's trials for u13s, first thing said to them was we're going to do some physical tests and cut half of you based on them; a lot easier to make a smart player bigger than a big player smarter
So he wanted problem solvers as opposed to athletes, then he went to trials and picked the opposite? Or was it someone else who told the lads we're cutting you?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

paddyor wrote:
So he wanted problem solvers as opposed to athletes, then he went to trials and picked the opposite? Or was it someone else who told the lads we're cutting you?
He was aghast u13s were being picked soley on physical attributes
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
why would he take a step down, for the money it would take to get Schmidt it would be cheaper to have all opposing international players killed

Does anyone that make any sense to anyone?
?
Contradiction?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

not really, the trials he observed (didnt run them) were about who was biggest/strongest not who picked up drills & skills well or could work things out
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

Drills are a load of b*%&!cks though, I've known heaps and heaps of players, backlines and even whole teams who are drill wizards, yet when some blindside pummels them into the dirt in actual rugby or just puts them under pressure it all falls apart. Match situation is all that matters, you find good players by playing matches and doing gym work.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinster4life13 wrote:... you find good players by playing matches and doing gym work.
Parody account?
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

hugonaut wrote:
leinster4life13 wrote:... you find good players by playing matches and doing gym work.
Parody account?
Power and pace are an inescapable part of the modern game, you build on your genetic aptitude/ability in the gym(or make up for what you dont have through hard work). Becoming (or being) an explosive athlete is part of being a good rugby player. Dan Carter isnt slicing through gaps at 32 and a torn achillies and innumerable injuries later because he is shy of lifting weights, its because his body has been conditioned by over a decade of work in the gym.

If a player cant handle the workload and breaks down continually or doesnt like gym work or cant gain/hold muscle, he wont make it as a pro, end of story.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

just when you thought they couldnt get any more stupider, RFU trying to tap up Cheika to take over. Why the hell would he want to?

also a load of the players including Floppin Sam Burgess lost a load of money after investing in shares recommended by their kitman, values were plummeting during the world cup
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

simonokeeffe wrote:just when you thought they couldnt get any more stupider, RFU trying to tap up Cheika to take over. Why the hell would he want to?

also a load of the players including Floppin Sam Burgess lost a load of money after investing in shares recommended by their kitman, values were plummeting during the world cup
Taking the investment advice of your team kit man really sums up English Rugby currently.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

olaf the fat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:just when you thought they couldnt get any more stupider, RFU trying to tap up Cheika to take over. Why the hell would he want to?

Taking the investment advice of your team kit man really sums up English Rugby currently.
you wouldnt get that from Rala

remember reading a quote from an American billionaire who got out before the Great Depression wiped out the stock market where he said when my shoeshine boy started giving me stock tips I knew it was time to get out
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

simonokeeffe wrote:
remember reading a quote from an American billionaire who got out before the Great Depression wiped out the stock market where he said when my shoeshine boy started giving me stock tips I knew it was time to get out
JFK's aulfellah. Joe Kennedy. He bought it all back a year later for 10 cents on the dollar
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
JFK's aulfellah. Joe Kennedy. He bought it all back a year later for 10 cents on the dollar
he kept the distelleries open too during prohibition :wink:

Danny Care and Burgess the two biggest (financial) losers in this apparently

Mike Brown in telegraph saying he cant trust his England team mates and cant even call them that over all the leaks to the media
Says there needs to be a huge clear the air session before the six nations
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

“All I know is that he didn't have the stomach to see out his contract,” Ford said. “For me this was the time to roll his sleeves up and become the player that I thought he could be – and he chose not to."

[source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... -Ford.html ]

Mike Ford showing his colours on Sam Burgess leaving Bath. To be frank, I think it's a very petulant and immature reaction. I'd be embarrassed if somebody in a position of power in the Leinster or Ireland set-up made those type of comments.

Everyone who knows Sam Burgess' back-story [about taking care of his terminally ill father, winning man of the match in the NRL final after breaking his face in the first minute etc.] knows that he's a man of significant character and a brave lad. Ford and Bath were the ones messing him around selection-wise: for all the talk of him being a blindside, they selected him for 9 games at centre and only 6 on the flank. His first game as a flanker for them only came in mid-April [source: http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-zoom-1 ... arter.html ]. They contracted him and didn't know what to do with him. Great management there.

EDIT: I'd also add that England were leading Wales and Jamie Roberts was getting no change out of Burgess for the vast majority of that game. Little Ford came on for the latter, Roberts ran right over the top of him and within 90 seconds Wales had scored their match-winning try.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Also being reported by the BBC, seems Hooper wouldn't let Burgess address the squad. The younger Ford also puts the boot in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34783108
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

And now Burgess responds:

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ne ... nion-spell

This is quite the soap opera, with a little side line of Angry Mike throwing his toys out of the pram about his team mates supposedly leaking stories to the press yesterday to fill the gap.

What coach in their right mind would want to go near this bunch?
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

hugonaut wrote:“All I know is that he didn't have the stomach to see out his contract,” Ford said. “For me this was the time to roll his sleeves up and become the player that I thought he could be – and he chose not to."

[source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... -Ford.html ]

Mike Ford showing his colours on Sam Burgess leaving Bath. To be frank, I think it's a very petulant and immature reaction. I'd be embarrassed if somebody in a position of power in the Leinster or Ireland set-up made those type of comments.

Everyone who knows Sam Burgess' back-story [about taking care of his terminally ill father, winning man of the match in the NRL final after breaking his face in the first minute etc.] knows that he's a man of significant character and a brave lad. Ford and Bath were the ones messing him around selection-wise: for all the talk of him being a blindside, they selected him for 9 games at centre and only 6 on the flank. His first game as a flanker for them only came in mid-April [source: http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-zoom-1 ... arter.html ]. They contracted him and didn't know what to do with him. Great management there.

EDIT: I'd also add that England were leading Wales and Jamie Roberts was getting no change out of Burgess for the vast majority of that game. Little Ford came on for the latter, Roberts ran right over the top of him and within 90 seconds Wales had scored their match-winning try.
Ford left league to pursue his personal interests, Ford left Ireland to pursue his personal interests, Ford left sarries to pursue his personal interests, Ford left England to pursue his personal interests. Similarly, Leeds invested in his son through the academy and he left to join Leicester to pursue his personal interests and then he went to Bath to pursue his personal interests.

The loyalty and "we invested in" arguments are off the wall coming from these two.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Stuart Lancaster has stepped down
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:Stuart Lancaster has stepped down
I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please please please let them appoint Andy Farrell as interim coach
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:Stuart Lancaster has stepped down
Sad day for Irish rugby. Feel sorry for the lad, he was out of his depth. The question I'd be asking if I were an English rugby fan is to the RFU who appointed him and Martin Jiohnson for that matter....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us