Henderson/POC
POM/SOB/Heaslip
Murray/Reddan
Henshaw/Payne
Bowe/R Kearney/Earls

Cronin/White/Healy/Ryan/Henry/Reddan/Madigan/Zebo

If Kearney is a risk then Zebo to start and Fitz on the bench
Play Bowe with possibility of DK coming straight in v France if necessary
Possibly Fitz ahead of Zebo n bench if there is more doubt over 12/13 than Kearney
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland v Italy, 4/10/2015

Post by blockhead »

Golf Man wrote:I reckon

McGrath/Best/Ross
Henderson/POC
POM/SOB/Heaslip
Murray/Reddan
Henshaw/Payne
Bowe/R Kearney/Earls

Possibly Fitz ahead of Zebo n bench if there is more doubt over 12/13 than Kearney
You're taking the anti Sexton stuff to a whole new level, dropping him for Reddan.
Agree with RK, if there is any doubt, play Zebo at FB. Italy are at a low ebb these days and we should beat them without too much hassle.
If DK is playing so well then he should be given some game time before the France game.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

As poor as Italy have been, this would be a good test for Bowe. Their wingers are a handful.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

blockhead wrote:

McGrath/Best/Ross
Henderson/POC
POM/SOB/Heaslip
Murray/Reddan
Henshaw/Payne
Bowe/R Kearney/Earls

You're taking the anti Sexton stuff to a whole new level, dropping him for Reddan.
Agree with RK, if there is any doubt, play Zebo at FB. Italy are at a low ebb these days and we should beat them without too much hassle.
If DK is playing so well then he should be given some game time before the France game.
Would not be underestimating the Italians - we absolutely should beat them but their whole world cu comes down to this - 1 shot for their best ever WC with Parisse back - that said I'd rest Sexton so what do I know

No issues with DK being picked, probably deserves it - I do think that a firing Bowe is a better option, and would guess that Schmidt etc see it that way as well - maybe give him this game to build on yesterdays performance - difficult one to call imo - I do think we are down to 2 from TB, DK & KE fr 11&14 and 1 from SZ&LF for 23. We could get suprises with some players held back or horses for courses selection - I don't think so though => full tilt from here on in for every game imo
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:

McGrath/Best/Ross
Henderson/POC
POM/SOB/Heaslip
Murray/Reddan
Henshaw/Payne
Bowe/R Kearney/Earls

Murray has more experience at 10 and is the bigger guy so he really should be at 10 ahead of Reddan
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

So the Madigan being the 3rd 9 was a ruse, it was all about Reddan being a back up 10.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I don't really understand this ongoing desire to somehow fit Tommy Bowe into the team. Its as if people are simply refusing to accept that Dave Kearney actually deserves his place and that Ireland are somehow suffering because of it. For me Earls and Dave are the two standout wingers for the last series of games. Tommy needs to be doing some pretty spectacular stuff to get in past those two, and he hasn't looked like doing it. Having said that, its hard if the ball isn't coming your way all the time.

Healy/Best/Ross
Toner/POC
Henderson/O'Brien/Heaslip
Murray/Sexton
Henshaw/Payne
Dave/Rob/Earls
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Italy are really poor. Bringing back Parisse will make them better, but they're close to the worst Italian team I can remember watching. They're not well-coached and they've never been good away from home. If we play disciplined rugby, we could really take them apart ... and that will guarantee our progression into the quarter-finals. Bonkers when you consider what Wales, England and Australia have to go through.

Zebo was very good against them in Rome in the Six Nations. I wouldn't be worried about him at fullback, because the Italian tactical kicking game doesn't really exist. The scrum-half Gori is lively but no rugby genius, and Tommy Allan is a novice out-half with little composure. Luke McLean can kick it long, but there's no evidence he's capable of being a first receiver who can lead Zebo around the park on a leash with his kicking.

Personally speaking, I'd really like to see Henry and O'Brien together in the back row. O'Mahony has obviously got some issue with his left shoulder [the lengths he went to protect it in the Canada game seemed very obvious to me, and I'm surprised that more people haven't commented on it], and it's having a big effect on his work at the breakdown, which has been mediocre in the three tests he has played this season. While we'd miss his excellent lineout work, I think Henry is more than capable of matching his link play and will provide much more effect at the breakdown. It'd also free SOB and JH up a little to carry more ball, which I think most people would like to see and would keep the French guessing before the big showdown.

It would be great to see Henshaw back in the team if he's available, and I'd pair him with Payne for the start, even though the latter has started the last couple of matches. I'd also be interested to see how Henshaw would partner up with Luke Fitz at No13, so Fitz on the bench for me and an early run-out in the second half. Earls' form makes him a shoo-in for the French game, so I'd rest him for this one, starting DK and Bowe on the wings.

Forwards [1-8]: McGrath, Best, Ross, Henderson, O'Connell, O'Brien, Henry, Heaslip
Backs [9-15]: Murray, Sexton, D. Kearney, Henshaw, Payne, Bowe, Zebo
Subs [16-23]: Strauss, Healy, Furlong, Ryan, O'Mahony, Reddan, Madigan, Fitzgerald

I know there's the whole 'tempting fate' line of thinking, but Italy's recent results have been terrible – of their 13 test matches since the start of last season, they've lost ten, only beating Samoa [in November], Scotland [in the Six Nations] and Canada [at the weekend].

They've also taken some absolute hammerings:
a 47-17 loss to England at Twickenham in the Six Nations [source: http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/match?gameI ... gue=180659 ];
a 61-20 loss to Wales in Rome at the end of the same tournament [source: http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/match?gameI ... gue=180659 ]; and
a 48-7 loss to Scotland in Murrayfield [source: http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/match?gameId=263333&league= ].
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

I agree with you on the back three Hugo. Rest Earls and DK, put Zebo at FB and let Bowe and Dave fight it out to start against France the following week.

I'd start Henderson but stick Toner on the bench and give him 30 minutes to make his case for inclusion against France. He went well yesterday and his bulk could be useful against them.

I'd start Healy. McGrath's done really well but Healy's world class and we need him ready for France. His carrying is a huge asset, and he has a good boot too!

Personally thought POM had a fine game against Canada and the POM, SOB, Heaslip back row has good balance to it, especially when augmented by Henderson's carrying and all round mayhem at lock.
We're all red on the inside.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Reading about the back three combos makes me think that we really did take one player too many.

Whoever is picked in the back row it'll be interesting to see what roles they perform. Thought Jordi and Henry played very differently to POM and SOB last week.
WarPoodle
Learner

Post by WarPoodle »

I agree with you on the back three Hugo. Rest Earls and DK, put Zebo at FB and let Bowe and Dave fight it out to start against France the following week.
Could someone for the love of good tell me why Dave Kearney should be fighting it out with Bowe for a starting place?? DK was the stand-out winger during the warm-ups and played excellently against England while Bowe fell apart. He played well against Canada, defended well, and took his try extremely well.

Bowe has not been at his best for more than a year now. Played at the last 6 Nations and was anonymous for the majority of it. Had his worst ever day in an Ireland jersey against England, but did score well against Romania. A tier 2 nation.

Yes, the man has credit in the bank (though a lot less than he did a year ago). On his day he's an amazing winger. But surely that credit shouldn't override form.. and on form Dave Kearney should be in the squad.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

WarPoodle wrote:Could someone for the love of good tell me why Dave Kearney should be fighting it out with Bowe for a starting place??
Certain posters, especially those from the red end of Ireland have spent years calling Dave average. They don't change their minds regardless of how wrong he proves them, and how frequently he does it.

Competition is brilliant and based on form it'll be Dave and Earls to start vs Italy.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The Italian scrum seemed to get worse when they brought Castro on against Canada

My biggest fear for this fixture is Bergamsco taking somebody out off the ball and/or starting a rumpus which gets one of our players suspended
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Logorrhea wrote:I don't really understand this ongoing desire to somehow fit Tommy Bowe into the team. Its as if people are simply refusing to accept that Dave Kearney actually deserves his place and that Ireland are somehow suffering because of it. For me Earls and Dave are the two standout wingers for the last series of games. Tommy needs to be doing some pretty spectacular stuff to get in past those two, and he hasn't looked like doing it. Having said that, its hard if the ball isn't coming your way all the time.

Healy/Best/Ross
Toner/POC
Henderson/O'Brien/Heaslip
Murray/Sexton
Henshaw/Payne
Dave/Rob/Earls
Totally agree with this team at present
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

WarPoodle wrote:
Could someone for the love of good tell me why Dave Kearney should be fighting it out with Bowe for a starting place?? DK was the stand-out winger during the warm-ups and played excellently against England while Bowe fell apart. He played well against Canada, defended well, and took his try extremely well.

Bowe has not been at his best for more than a year now. Played at the last 6 Nations and was anonymous for the majority of it. Had his worst ever day in an Ireland jersey against England, but did score well against Romania. A tier 2 nation.

Yes, the man has credit in the bank (though a lot less than he did a year ago). On his day he's an amazing winger. But surely that credit shouldn't override form.. and on form Dave Kearney should be in the squad.
You've kind of answered your own question

DK was the stand-out winger during the warm-ups

Yes, the man has credit in the bank (though a lot less than he did a year ago). On his day he's an amazing winger

Just to note I thought Bowe was fine, not great in the 6N (bit like DK was in 2014). Is form in warmups and v Tier 2 that valuable to override years of class and big game performances? Maybe maybe not. DK has don incredibly well to be where he is - despite protestations I don't think even the most hard nosed of Leister fans would have xpected him to be in this situation. Just a thought - has he been that good or is just relative to expectations
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Golf Man wrote:Just a thought - has he [Dave K] been that good or is just relative to expectations
and with that I rest my case
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Zebo has been given compassionate as his grandfather sadly passed away but is expected back with the squad tomorrow according to Indo
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Logorrhea wrote:
Golf Man wrote:Just a thought - has he [Dave K] been that good or is just relative to expectations
and with that I rest my case
you don't seem to understand the concept of a thought - maybe open your mind a small bit once in a while

do you not think it's reasonable to suggest that most irish fans would not have expected DK to be in the position he is now in at the start of August?

its great that he is just as it's great that Earls has impressed and that bowe wad good - I would not have expected Fitz and zebo to not really be in the wing debate - you don't need to take offence at everything
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

With all the good will in the world Dave is not a world class finisher. Earls is, and so is Bowe.

Dave does not need the game time. He is super reliable and won't let you down. If Tombleyboo can't back it up against Italy I would still trust Dave to do his job and do it well if he plays against France. This is why Bowe was risked despite poor form.

I was surprised by Dave K making himself first choice in the warm ups. It wasn't his form that surprised me though. He's a really important player for Leinster.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Will not be surprised if, however its contrived, the team on the park for last 20 mins could well be very close to starting XV against France.

Would certainly start with McGrath, Best, Ross, POC and Hendo. Back-row is very difficult but Heaslip is only certainty, because Parrisse is opposite him. Many consider POM is at risk against Henry and O'Brien as we need faster ruck ball. Moving Hendo to No 6 and bringing Dev into the row, would be last 20/30 min option.

Don't buy into the "Payne has no penetration at 13" line. When BOD and Darce retired, all we wanted to find was a pair ofcentres who wouldn't be opened up easily. We have now found them and have enough resources at half-back and back three to give us cutting edge if we don't give away soft points. We will start to reveal moves with wings or FB coming through the middle so that teams marking us are dealing with more challenges.

The key to this is the time between games. 7 days is enough to change game plans and certainly between Italy and France we have sufficient time to polish up specific plays to attack different areas.