Wales vs Ireland - 14/03/2015 14:30

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

kendalgerty
Graduate

Re: Wales vs Ireland - 14/03/2015 14:30

Post by kendalgerty »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:I noticed during the England Match, that the choke tackle was not really used.

To me it looked like the English players were making a determined effort to get nice low body positions so they wouldn't be held up, but I do wonder if in fact it was an Irish ploy to not utilise the choke tackle and instead blitz them at the breakdown.

I wonder if this was because Heaslip wasn't playing, or more because the blitz was better suited for use against England?

I agree that we will probably taget their set piece, but I would not be at all surprised to see JS play a lot flatter, and to see a few more passes being strung together if we can get past 3rd or 4th phase ball
Yes, Robbie Henshaw alluded to this post-match. He said they didn't feel teh choke tackle would be a success against England who might turn it to their advanatage and they looked to chop tackle instead.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Backrow is pretty simple to call imo

All fit its POM/SOB/Heaslip/Murphy

Heaslip out its POM/SOB/Murphy/TOD

SOB out its POM/TOD/Heaslip/Murphy

Heaslip and SOB out its POM/TOD/Murphy/Ruddock (or Diack)

Murphy and TOD have played more than SOB and Heaslip in the first 3 games and we haven't really suffered at all - no reason to think that Ruddock would be rushed back in to the starting team

There is plenty of cover in all of the options above to cover injuries - with 2 players (Hederson and another) covering 5 positions there is always a possibility of a worst case scenario developing where you will be left short, or someone left out of position - doesn't happen all that much
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:I noticed during the England Match, that the choke tackle was not really used.

To me it looked like the English players were making a determined effort to get nice low body positions so they wouldn't be held up, but I do wonder if in fact it was an Irish ploy to not utilise the choke tackle and instead blitz them at the breakdown.

I wonder if this was because Heaslip wasn't playing, or more because the blitz was better suited for use against England?

I agree that we will probably taget their set piece, but I would not be at all surprised to see JS play a lot flatter, and to see a few more passes being strung together if we can get past 3rd or 4th phase ball
I thought it was because we were a bit scared off their scrum, which was a threat that never materialized.

I'd expect us to play more territory than contestable kicking. I think the Welsh will be better able to deal with high balls but there lineout could still be a weakness.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

maybe JB can help on this one but anyone know why Hibbard is out of favour?
to me hes second best carrier in the pack after Faletau and best jackaller after Warburton

had to check this out re people saying Schmidt is a conservative coach; 12 tries in 3 (successive) European finals, Toulon have managed 3 in 2
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

simonokeeffe wrote:maybe JB can help on this one but anyone know why Hibbard is out of favour?
to me hes second best carrier in the pack after Faletau and best jackaller after Warburton

had to check this out re people saying Schmidt is a conservative coach; 12 tries in 3 (successive) European finals, Toulon have managed 3 in 2
I understand your sentiment, but I'm not sure this is really the correct language to be using.

What Joe Schmidt has done since he took over with Ireland is to play winning rugby by crafting his gameplan to the opposition.

The contrast between the loss to NZ and Sunday's victory over England is huge. Offloads now seemingly a thing of the past, it's now all about the breakdown and defence.

So I think that the template for this six nations could be described as defensive, but I really think he's keeping his powder dry for the world cup, when we "Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war"
Show Spoiler:
Julius Caesar act 3 scene 1
Show Spoiler:
feckin tablet keyboard breaking my heart, this is my 5th edit since submitting aaaaaaarrrrgh
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:maybe JB can help on this one but anyone know why Hibbard is out of favour?

I understand your sentiment, but I'm not sure this is really the correct language to be using.

What Joe Schmidt has done since he took over with Ireland is to play winning rugby by crafting his gameplan to the opposition.

The contrast between the loss to NZ and Sunday's victory over England is huge. Offloads now seemingly a thing of the past, it's now all about the breakdown and defence.

So I think that the template for this six nations could be described as defensive, but I really think he's keeping his powder dry for the world cup, when we "Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war"
Show Spoiler:
Julius Caesar act 3 scene 1
Show Spoiler:
feckin tablet keyboard breaking my heart, this is my 5th edit since submitting aaaaaaarrrrgh
ah just had to confirm exact amount as it pops to mind every time I hear that
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

€17.50 in new money
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

A wobbly lineout vs England and vs Scotland has seen him carry the can, personally I'd select him every time over Baldwin but I think Ken Owens is our best all round hooker.

In fairness to Baldwin the two games he has started against (south Africa and wales) our scrum has been really solid.

As for Ireland , Leinster were certainly not a conservative team under Schmidt and I dare say we will a more expansive Ireland soon but for this 6 nations I think he just wants to win the grand slam and will worry about the style later.

ps are we allowed to call it Schmidt ball yet :D :D
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Schmidt is conservative selection wise and was with Leinster as well (for big games you can/could name more or less the full Ireland/Leinster team. This is no criticism at all - coaches generally are conservative and probably should be (ie going back to who you know and trust would seem to generally be a good thing) - not even sure conservative should be used in this context

With Leinster he probably looked at what was available to him, what he was going to be playing and devised his gameplan to maximise chances of winning - it happened to be a free flowing brand. Don't think he has done anything else with Ireland - just the optimum outcome was a a more conservative risk free gameplan. Shows his worth if you ask me that he can deliver two successful teams playing very very different styles

BTW if Schmidt had arrived in Leinster in 2007-8 I reckon you might have seen a very different team - Cheika sorted out the big problem - once the pack couldn't be bullied Leinster were free to take off - SDchmidt would have addressed this first and foremost

Also I don't believe for a minute that he is keeping the powder dry for the world cup - we will see the same style I think but hopefully be that bit more efficient at taking chances and making breakls when we can - there are signs of this - no way we are going to change to his old style with Leinster though
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

JB1973 wrote:

A wobbly lineout vs England and vs Scotland has seen him carry the can, personally I'd select him every time over Baldwin but I think Ken Owens is our best all round hooker.

In fairness to Baldwin the two games he has started against (south Africa and wales) our scrum has been really solid.

As for Ireland , Leinster were certainly not a conservative team under Schmidt and I dare say we will a more expansive Ireland soon but for this 6 nations I think he just wants to win the grand slam and will worry about the style later.

ps are we allowed to call it Schmidt ball yet :D :D
FFS don't be MOCking him please.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Schmidt Happens my preferred one

just watched Against The Head and was a flip point but theyre kind of right that the players just believe theyll always have the ultimate gameplan and opposition (coaches) believe it too or worry about it

Pity Hibbard didnt have Charteris to throw too
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

simonokeeffe wrote:Schmidt Happens my preferred one

just watched Against The Head and was a flip point but theyre kind of right that the players just believe theyll always have the ultimate gameplan and opposition (coaches) believe it too or worry about it

Pity Hibbard didnt have Charteris to throw too

Yes he should have playing from the start, I don't gatland will change our game plan for anyone even schmdit. When the ospreys used to do well vs Leinster in big games we would always send lots of forwards into the breakdown, apply a blitz defence but we tended to attack further out using byrne and shane out wide more than boshing it up the middle.

I doubt Gatland will vary from Roberts taking it up the middle and the ball passed to a forward at first receiver but we live in hope!
Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

Wayne Barnes now refereeing this game instead of Steve Walsh.

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/59700
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

I'm not sure what to think of this match with Wayne Barnes reffing this now.

With Ireland and Leinster we have won and lost matches and we have had no major issues with Wayne Barnes in charge.

However..Barnes has blown some big sending off calls against us. Both Pape and Davies (both missed rest of tournament after) should have been red carded but Barnes only gave yellow, definitely costing us the Welsh result.
And there was the ridiculous decision on Ferris late on in that game to give Wales the winning penalty.
Even Warren Gatland admitted after the game that Davies should have seen red.

The actual game time should improve with Steve Walsh not constantly looking at the TMO to catch a glimpse of himself.

I've gone to this fixture every 2 years since Bleddyn Bowen kicked the ball into Noel Mannion's chest and this game will be a cracker with
very little between the sides so please let's hope we are talking about the rugby after and not the ref.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Kinger83 wrote:Wayne Barnes now refereeing this game instead of Steve Walsh.

I prefer Walsh (we tend to do well when he refs us) but Barnes is a solid experienced ref, even if he has an annoying habit of calling everyone mate!

which ever side loses no doubt there will be some gripes about the ref, the hype around this fixture next week is going to be massive.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Kinger83 wrote:Wayne Barnes now refereeing this game instead of Steve Walsh.

not according to the Irish Times (the paper of record :roll: )

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2127365
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'd guess that the Walsh appointment was an oversight in the first place given his history of anti-Irish bigotry and receiving back room briefings from Welsh coaches
I have Bumbleflex
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

what did he call horgan to get banned that time?
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:I'd guess that the Walsh appointment was an oversight in the first place given his history of anti-Irish bigotry and receiving back room briefings from Welsh coaches
What's that now? Is that the Horgan incident?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Unconfirmed reports that Walsh found a bald spot and will have to retire with immediate effect.