NZ vs England

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Vamos los azules
Mullet

Re: NZ vs England

Post by Vamos los azules »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Vamos los azules wrote: Tuilagi delivers in snatches.
Don't think I've ever heard a greater compliment.
Hmmmm. That sentence worked totally differently in my head to how it looks now you've extracted it like that :oops:
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Vamos los azules wrote:
ichabodscrane wrote:I don't get the hype, Twelvetrees in a Gloucester jersey is nothing special but in an England jersey is something totally different. He is a decent player, he has good distributing skills and Lancaster says he reminds him of a 'typical New Zealand type 12'. But in saying that there's another Billy who's overrating is truly baffling, Mr Vunipola.. I think it's an English thing, they do it with Rooney, Barkley, Sterling etc and they do it with Tuilagi, Lawes, Farrell etc.
Didn't rate Lawes until the last season but he really stepped up this year. Tuilagi delivers in snatches. The Farrell one is a media thing. A significant percentage of fans don't rate him at all. So saying, I was intrigued to hear Graham Rowntree's opinion of him. Given that if you don't scrummage you are pretty much dead to him I was surprised to hear the way he speaks of Owen so highly.

Personally if I had to put a bet on who will have the England 10 shirt for the 2019 World Cup I'd go for Henry Slade, with a Burns brother as back up (haven't decided which one though!) but a serious work ethic can get you a long way. Look at Wilkinson and Halfpenny. Both have worked really hard to be the players they have become and Farrell junior has that work ethic and strength of character.

Yeah I'd have to agree with Freddie Burns or Henry Slade. I like the look of Burns, he had an heir of unpredictability about him and great foot work. I dunno if you saw it but there's a profile of Peter Stringer on the IRB YouTube page and Freddie Burns talks about his dad hanging out with Peter Stringer when he was 8/9yrs old and Strings brought him and his brother for ice cream.

I really like Lawes, I just meant when he first came on the scene they stifled him with expectation. As for Tuilagi, good weapon to have but needs to work on his hands.

I always like Wilkinson, thought his overall game was underrated and it helps that he's the exact opposite to most of the England World Cup winning squad, humble. ;)
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

you are thinking of george ford not freddie burns RE: peter stringer
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

goreyguy wrote:you are thinking of george ford not freddie burns RE: peter stringer
Ah I am indeed, always get the two mixed up. Thanks GG.
HUDSOC
Knowledgeable

Post by HUDSOC »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Savea Is the best winger in the world IMO, can't wait to see what he can do on Saturday. Been in fantastic form for the Hurricanes, has really added subtlety and improved his workrate over the last year. Thought Ben Smith was pretty quiet until that last pass, and given Dagg's average performance/recent form, think their back three looks far more dangerous now.

Not sure about Tuilagi on the wing, don't think that getting their best players on the pitch is a good idea in this case. Burrell is brilliant though so that centre selection is tricky. Think Burrell is an underrated footballer though and they could actually play together.

Can't wait for this game, should be a cracker if the weather is good. Was hugely impressed with England last weekend. I think it was a bit unrealistic for them to really kick on from the 6N given the number of the changes, but for the new players to step in seamlessly was massive for them. They could have come in and swung from the hip in the circumstances but don't think either the team or the individual players would have benefitted long term. For them to pretty much copy the performances of the 6N will really stand to them though and think the returning players will give them a chance to really kick on become a complete side this weekend and in the medium term. One guy that really surprised me was Burns, didn't think he had that kind of performance in him tbh, and don't really think George Ford would have done that well had he been fit.
No need to worry too much about the weather - Forsyth Barr Stadium,transparent roof.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Excellent! It's looked fairly manky for the JWC this week.
Dublinner
Bookworm

Post by Dublinner »

Stream anyone????
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Great try from Yarde!!! England hammering the ABs early doors in the line out and mauls. 10 - 0.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

AB peno. England lucky to escape conceeding a try.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Still 10 - 3 following penalty misses from both Crudden and Farrell. The AB midfield is infinitely more threatening and inventive than England's.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

One of those slighty nervy, mistake-laced but enjoyable games. Ball alive a lot- too much for some fatties maybe.Wilson- the prop ends a long see-sawing section by kicking the ball out to touch with a smile that says, "If none of you buggers will get it out- I will..."

Tuilagi breaks the length of the field only to be tackled 5 metres out by the FB. Shoud have passed to the man inside him before being nabbed- but has to take the man on. All the good and bad of him there. A short series of penos and scrums later- Crudden gets an extra time peno in kicking range! 3 points.

Half time 10 - 6
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

That's a bit harse on Tuilagi, he looked to offload but Brown had pulled to far wide and too far back to be of any use
Last edited by waterboy on June 14th, 2014, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

The inevitable happens. 12/3's messes up and the ABs trvel the lenght of the park for Ben Smith to score under the posts. 13 - 10 to NZ.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Scrum peno to England. Farrell nails it. 13- 13. Hartley on at hooker.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Savea try in the corner. They're moving in th backs now. Ctrudden mises the conversion. 18 - 13.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Cracking game.....the AB's are incredible....under the cosh for large parts of the first half....now putting England to the sword.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

21 - 13. Penalty to ABs; Farrell in bin for 10 minutes. Ominous if you're in white...
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

... and those sluice gates start to break as Conrad Smith slips through a gap and givs a great pass to Nonu to score on the right. Barrett replacing Crudden scores the extras. 28 - 13.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

England finally and clunkily work a try for Brown- just! Hand maybe under ball- but the TMO gives it on the ref's 'question'. 28 - 20 after the con.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

England rescue a probable try situation by gtting a peno from an AB scrum. They are strong! Not very imaginative; but big and strong...!

Now they win another scrum and get a peno- going down the line! Trying to maul it in....