Ireland Launch Official Bid for RWC 2023 Today

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Ireland Launch Official Bid for RWC 2023 Today

Post by simonno6 »

http://www.joe.ie/rugby/rugby-news/irel ... 023-today/

With the backing of the GAA, this could definitely end up being a reality. What an experience it would be for the country! The GAA have quietly been bringing a lot of stadia up to scratch over the last 10 years or so and with the addition of Croker as well, you have the huge stadium required for a final. We certainly have the hotel beds and transport infrastructure to take in the 330,000 tourists that would travel.

Aviva: 50,000
Thomand: 26,500
Ravenhill: 18,000
RDS: Up to 22,000 w/ additional seating

Croker: 82,300
Páirc Uí Chaoimh: 43,000
Pearce Stadium: 26,000
Fitzgerald Stadium: 43,000
Casement Pk: 32,000 - will be 40k by the end of 2015*

New Zealand used 13 stadia with the following capacities: 60k, 40k, 30k (x2), 36k, 34, 26, 18, 20, 18, 22, 15.

We may need to do slight remedial work on some stadia but we would need nowhere near the €80 million investment NZ put into it.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Lar
Mullet

Re: Ireland Launch Official Bid for RWC 2023 Today

Post by Lar »

Probably won't be public initially anyway, but by the time the vote comes around I suspect we will have Murrayfield and the Millennium Stadium in there also certainly for Scotland and Wales' group games much like they supported France 2007. Murrayfield in particular as the Millennium is being used by England in two years time.
Four Stars
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Lar wrote:Probably won't be public initially anyway, but by the time the vote comes around I suspect we will have Murrayfield and the Millennium Stadium in there also certainly for Scotland and Wales' group games much like they supported France 2007. Murrayfield in particular as the Millennium is being used by England in two years time.
Murrayfield makes sense - obviously has the capacity and could be linked with Ravenhill and the other northern stadium (think there is a new one being built - otherwise casement). We should not go with Millenium Stadium - thats been done

Otherwise
Dublin - Croke Park, Aviva
Cork & Limerick - Pairc ui Chaoimh (40K after dev) & Thomond (26K)
Scotland/Ulster - Murrayfield, Casement (40K after dev), Ravenhill (20K)
Galway - Pearse (35K after dev)
Regional - Nowlan Park (40K dev planned already), O'Moore Park (26K currently) - right size and location

The others would have to come from Semple/Fitzgerald - both would need major work and Semple might actually be too big, McHale Park is the right size but is in Mayo
To sell teh legacy they should propose a better facility for Connacht and use that - its not a good selling point that the legacy is better GAA facilities

The Dublin bias might also count against it - having all 8 knock outs in one city doesn't look great and would probably lead to infrastructure issues

On the plus side the competition is probably only South Africa. Italy and Argentina would probably be interested but for differing reasons possibly not really viable. USA/Canada has long been mooted - FIFA did it in 1994 but soccer would have had a hugely bigger profile - also can't see IRB going with a risky one after Japan 2019. The negative of all that is that it is South Africa - they have teh staida, the history, the experience etc - finance could be an issue. Maybe we should look to do a deal and get IRB to do a FIFA and announce two at teh same time?
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

It really is a no brainer. We are a "top" rugby nation, but really havent been at the top table rugby wise. When wales hosted the comp in 1999, they pretty much only hosted the first and last game. With the GAA on board, we could host every game if we wanted. Give Scotland one game and Wales one game and we will have them both onside. Sky and BTSport will both want the same timezone TV wise so comercially it would be a sucess.

To quote Golfman above, but it's in Mayo, If USA Canada win it, you could have one game in Texas, and the next in Calgary, a nice 1,800 mile drive

Two of the Quarters could be outside Dublin, One in Ravenhill, one in TP. One Semi in CP and one in the Aviva, then the final in the Aviva for politcal correctness
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

mtleinster wrote:It really is a no brainer. We are a "top" rugby nation, but really havent been at the top table rugby wise. When wales hosted the comp in 1999, they pretty much only hosted the first and last game. With the GAA on board, we could host every game if we wanted. Give Scotland one game and Wales one game and we will have them both onside. Sky and BTSport will both want the same timezone TV wise so comercially it would be a sucess.

To quote Golfman above, but it's in Mayo, If USA Canada win it, you could have one game in Texas, and the next in Calgary, a nice 1,800 mile drive

Two of the Quarters could be outside Dublin, One in Ravenhill, one in TP. One Semi in CP and one in the Aviva, then the final in the Aviva for politcal correctness
If it does come to pass, you would have to imagine Croker hosting the final as part of the deal, PC'ness aside!!
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

You could easily split the quarters between Dublin, Belfast, Galway and Cork/Limerick if the GAA stadia are used and have a nice spread. Course probably best to have two quarters in Dublin on a Sat/Sun and maximise the use of Croker which at 82k is a serious advantage to our bid in terms of accommodating fans which is what it's all about for the IRB and the government. Putting bums on seats and getting the restaurants, pubs, hotels etc etc packed and getting the country buzzing.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

If we win the bid hopefully Leinster can pull an Ulster on it and get the government to stump up most of the cash for the RDS redevelopment thats been on the back burner
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Murrayfield wasn't considered for the 2015 WC as it's never had successful numbers in '91 and '99. Scotland internationals will get decent attendances for big oppo such as NZ, SA, Aus, Ireland and England, the latter two because there's plenty Irish and English in Edinburgh and rivalry. Wales and France don't sell out and you can walk up on the day of an Italy game and buy a ticket from the booth.
If this were to happen I'd like to see it kept entirely in Ireland. NZ possibly didn't even need 13 stadia for the tournament so with the development of one or two more we should be fine.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

jimbobjoe wrote:Murrayfield wasn't considered for the 2015 WC as it's never had successful numbers in '91 and '99. Scotland internationals will get decent attendances for big oppo such as NZ, SA, Aus, Ireland and England, the latter two because there's plenty Irish and English in Edinburgh and rivalry. Wales and France don't sell out and you can walk up on the day of an Italy game and buy a ticket from the booth.
If this were to happen I'd like to see it kept entirely in Ireland. NZ possibly didn't even need 13 stadia for the tournament so with the development of one or two more we should be fine.

+++1

I hate the politicking talk of giving the Scots and welsh some games to get their vote. We should have the whole thing here. We have everything required to put on a great show. The lasting benefit should be improved stadiums with the RDS expanded and the westies to get a new one.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Fireworks wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Murrayfield wasn't considered for the 2015 WC as it's never had successful numbers in '91 and '99. Scotland internationals will get decent attendances for big oppo such as NZ, SA, Aus, Ireland and England, the latter two because there's plenty Irish and English in Edinburgh and rivalry. Wales and France don't sell out and you can walk up on the day of an Italy game and buy a ticket from the booth.

+++1

I hate the politicking talk of giving the Scots and welsh some games to get their vote. We should have the whole thing here. We have everything required to put on a great show. The lasting benefit should be improved stadiums with the RDS expanded and the westies to get a new one.
Not sure if we do - what we have is the Aviva - which is perfect as the second stadium (although I'm sure the IRFU would want as many games as possible there - ie two qurter finals), we have Croke Park which is perfect for semi finals and final but given that capacity they would have to make use of it for several other games (hence my whole knock outs bein based in Dublin thing - take 3 QFs out of Dublin and you are knocking about 60,000 tickets off (as well as having to upgrade more regional stadia). We also have Thomond and the new Ravenhill as obvious ready to go options. RDS possily for a couple of really minor games but in reality with Aviva and Croke Park I can't see it (unless the GAA requirements are too costly. After that its the GAA and possibly a new stadium in Galway/fully revtalised Sportsgrounds. The GAA will rightfully look for what suits them - I don't know if they will want to go to with all seaters as it would affect their capacities down the line. You could probably keep it to 10 stadia with 4 doing 6 games (Aviva, Croke Park, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Casement/new) and 6 doing 4 games (Thomond/Ravenhill/Sportsground/Nowlan Park/Fitzgerald Park/O'Moore). Thats still maybe a it too Dulin orientated - but I suppose you market it that way
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

waterboy wrote:If we win the bid hopefully Leinster can pull an Ulster on it and get the government to stump up most of the cash for the RDS redevelopment thats been on the back burner
RDS development has relatively little to do with Leinster, granted we're a tenant that use the stadium and have a vested interest but it's use/development is a matter for the RDS. That being said it would be great to see the RDS get some funding to develop the stadium further to benefit not just Leinster but the Horse Show and potentially soccer as well if it were available for larger league of Ireland games.
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

I would have no problem giving WAL SCO one game against the major nation, and then have them playing the other games against the smaller nations here.

It would be a shame to scotland v NZ in Croke park with only 40,000 people there, whereas scotland v tonga in the sportsground and scotland v USA in Ravenhill would be perfect
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There is absolutely no need for any external stadia to be used - the problem will be which ones in Ireland to leave out, the only reason would be to purchase votes from those unions.
I have Bumbleflex
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Golf Man wrote:
Fireworks wrote:

+++1

Not sure if we do - what we have is the Aviva - which is perfect as the second stadium (although I'm sure the IRFU would want as many games as possible there - ie two qurter finals), we have Croke Park which is perfect for semi finals and final but given that capacity they would have to make use of it for several other games (hence my whole knock outs bein based in Dublin thing - take 3 QFs out of Dublin and you are knocking about 60,000 tickets off (as well as having to upgrade more regional stadia). We also have Thomond and the new Ravenhill as obvious ready to go options. RDS possily for a couple of really minor games but in reality with Aviva and Croke Park I can't see it (unless the GAA requirements are too costly. After that its the GAA and possibly a new stadium in Galway/fully revtalised Sportsgrounds. The GAA will rightfully look for what suits them - I don't know if they will want to go to with all seaters as it would affect their capacities down the line. You could probably keep it to 10 stadia with 4 doing 6 games (Aviva, Croke Park, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Casement/new) and 6 doing 4 games (Thomond/Ravenhill/Sportsground/Nowlan Park/Fitzgerald Park/O'Moore). Thats still maybe a it too Dulin orientated - but I suppose you market it that way
A quick look and I found the below. I know that all but one are GAA but there is plenty of capacity for us to do it alone. Even if the GAA do not want all seaters they could be converted on a temp basis. Yes I do know that the big all seaters are in Dublin but so what.

# Stadium Capacity Seats
1 Croke Park Dublin 82,300 69,500
2 Semple Stadium Thurles 53,000 26,000
3 Aviva Stadium Dublin 51,700 51,700
4 Gaelic Grounds Limerick 49,500 24,000
5 Páirc Uí Chaoimh Cork 43,550 19,500
6 FitzGerald Stadium Killarney 43,180 9,000
7 McHale Park Mayo 42,000 42,000
8 St. Tiernach's Park Monaghan 36,000
9 Dr. Hyde Park Roscommon 33,612
10 Pearse Stadium Galway GAA 33,000 8,000
11 Casement Park Belfast 32,600 8,000
12 Breffni Park Cavan 32,000 6,000
13 Nowlan Park Kilkenny 30,000 19,000

I am sure there are problems with loads of these stadiums but nothing that can not be fixed plus I have not included any provincial grounds, may have to build on for the westies. I think somebody pointed out that it cost NZ €80m for stadium developments. Think we could do it for a significant bit less.
kendalgerty
Graduate

Post by kendalgerty »

Do they have to be all-seaters for the tournament? I'm not sure they do. I remember sitting on a grassy knoll in Rotorua watching Ireland play Russia.
http://whiffofcordite.com/ - Whiff of Cordite - The Rugby Nerd's Blog
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Fireworks wrote:
A quick look and I found the below. I know that all but one are GAA but there is plenty of capacity for us to do it alone. Even if the GAA do not want all seaters they could be converted on a temp basis. Yes I do know that the big all seaters are in Dublin but so what.

# Stadium Capacity Seats

I am sure there are problems with loads of these stadiums but nothing that can not be fixed plus I have not included any provincial grounds, may have to build on for the westies. I think somebody pointed out that it cost NZ €80m for stadium developments. Think we could do it for a significant bit less.
The Stadia in bold are the ones that have been offered by the GAA to the bid back in March. In addition to them I suppose there'd be Lansdowne Rd, Thomond Park, Ravenhill, Sportsground and RDS.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/b ... 51237.html
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Cianostays wrote:
Fireworks wrote:

# Stadium Capacity Seats

The Stadia in bold are the ones that have been offered by the GAA to the bid back in March. In addition to them I suppose there'd be Lansdowne Rd, Thomond Park, Ravenhill, Sportsground and RDS.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/b ... 51237.html
I think it cost NZ €185m in all - there would need to be substantial upgrade to all of the GAA stadia with the exception of Croker. One stadium in probably Belfast or Cork would need to be substantially upgraded - ie up to 40K seated in proper stands - as a QF venue - no way could Dublin cope with 4 QFs (Aviva and Croker) in two days. However supplementary infrastructure cost would not need to be great as pretty much all of the stadia have good rail, road links (exception of MacHale Park) I also think the above would change - government would be funding this so there would have to be more of a spread - Midlands and South West very absent from the grounds above (hence Nowlan and O'Moore). Maybe look to base some teams in counties other than those where there are games - Donegal. Mayo, Kerry, Wexford would all all have good setup for stuff like this

Could all be done and would definitely prefer if we went ot alone - think it would stand to teh bid as well - South Africa, if they went for it, would be hard to beat
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

Every community in the country would be involved. They would put the Japanese team in Carlow, the Namabia team in Letterkenny, USA in Killarney, Southafricans in Limerick etc etc etc. Every team that travels for more than 2,000 miles will be based here for a few weeks. all you need is a 4 star hotel and a school ground to give them their world cup base
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

mtleinster wrote:Every community in the country would be involved. They would put the Japanese team in Carlow, the Namabia team in Letterkenny, USA in Killarney, Southafricans in Limerick etc etc etc. Every team that travels for more than 2,000 miles will be based here for a few weeks. all you need is a 4 star hotel and a school ground to give them their world cup base
They could even hype it the way they did for the Special Olympics and encourage the locals to adopt their teams when not supporting Ireland.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

mtleinster wrote:Every community in the country would be involved. They would put the Japanese team in Carlow, the Namabia team in Letterkenny, USA in Killarney, Southafricans in Limerick etc etc etc. Every team that travels for more than 2,000 miles will be based here for a few weeks. all you need is a 4 star hotel and a school ground to give them their world cup base
Not sure its quite as simple as that - for the smaller teams yes. But the top 10 teams they will want the likes of Carton House - those facilities are there, by the way (or at least could be pretty easily develoepd), but you are not going to be able to tell NZ where to stay. You could maybe use the Special Olympics idea and push it out to ten counties - ideally counties where there are no games being played and get them behind particular teams - ie Kerry-USA, Wexford-Canada, Mayo - Russia, etc. Can't see New Zealand rocking up to Bewleys