O'Gara Gone

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: O'Gara Gone

Post by Donny B. »

ROG wrote:
"It’s easy to repeat the foray, the trek to the North Pole [but] it’s the first fellas that did it is what I take pride in, that’s what motivates me, consistently delivering week-in, week-out," he added.
Is this a nostalgia piece, cause it's a hell of of long-time since he was doing that. And while whinging about not starting against Scotland, he makes no mention of his disastrous performance when he did come on against Scotland or indeed his poor form when he came on against England. The fact is, it was his own poor form that got him dropped. Deal with it ROG!

Positive mental attitude is one thing, complete and utter delusion is another.
Last edited by Donny B. on April 4th, 2013, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
"It’s easy to repeat the foray, the trek to the North Pole [but] it’s the first fellas that did it is what I take pride in,
Really Roig? If you did it this year it would be a far, far more impressive feat than when it was done with an international 1-10 playing against club sides without that luxury. Were they the ten people who made it possible? I love the bitterness in that, attempting to belittle other people's achievements. Real classy.
Actually reading it again, perhaps it's a very gracious tribute to the Ulster team that first "make the trek" and a putdown to his team for taking so long to "repeat the foray"? :wink:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Donny B. wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: "It’s easy to repeat the foray, the trek to the North Pole [but] it’s the first fellas that did it is what I take pride in,
Really Roig? If you did it this year it would be a far, far more impressive feat than when it was done with an international 1-10 playing against club sides without that luxury. Were they the ten people who made it possible? I love the bitterness in that, attempting to belittle other people's achievements. Real classy.
Actually reading it again, perhaps it's a very gracious tribute to the Ulster team that first "make the trek" and a putdown to his team for taking so long to "repeat the foray"? :wink:
I'm sure that's possible.

:lol:

If nothing else he has a fresh perspective, there aren't so many players who are so vocal about their greatness.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

fourthirtythree wrote:attempting to belittle other people's achievements. Real classy.
More a statement of pride in the fact that they were first (with respect to Ulster!). They were the bar-setters (as acknowledged by most high-profile Leinster voices). Of course Leinster have raised that bar now, but his point stands, as does his pride in that.

It was a frank, honest interview; not the glossed, pre-vetted generic statements hogwash we're used to hearing from pro players. Invariably, points made under those circumstances will be mis-interpreted; and I think you've done that here.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

meinster wrote: More a statement of pride in the fact that they were first (with respect to Ulster!).
Or, in other words, second.
I have Bumbleflex
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

fourthirtythree wrote:
johng wrote:Whereas your post calling him raw egg and somehow managing to interpret his statement as "belittling other people's achievements" is the absolute height of class.
A - Roig is hardly offensive
B - Somehow managing to interpret his statement EXACTLY as he presented it is purely reading English. That's what he said. W
"...expect to win Heineken Cup buts there were about 10 people in Irish rugby who created that path.

"It’s easy to repeat the foray"

What else does he mean? It's a stretch to see it as anything other than an attempt at self-aggrandising at the expense of other people.

But, you know, feel free to find me pointing out the bleeding obvious offensive.
The point I was making was that it is ironic for you or any of the rest of us who have slagged him off in a classless way to point out that he is classless. Not whether he was right or wrong in what he said. In fairness you can legitimately claim that he is belittling other peoples's achievements. I skimmed through that bit of his speech, sorry.

Anyway. It's not that important. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers or gave you the impression you had ruffled mine.

I am in danger of becoming an apologist for Rog here. Not a position I would be comfortable with. He can be hard to like at times. But at least he doesn't speak in riddles like Kidders and say nothing.
fourthirtythree wrote:EDIT
Roig is as inoffensive a nickname as it is possible to give someone: it's a joke on all the various pronunciations of his nickname on here (and William Gibson's use of characters who he has someone else explain the pronunciation of in his books). FFS it's the Catalan for "Red" and more or less their national name. He's love it!
Yeah. We all knew that. :lol: Speaking fluent Catalan and having read all of yerman's books and put that together. (and I thought some of my references were obscure)
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

johng wrote:sion you had ruffled mine.

I am in danger of becoming an apologist for Rog here. Not a position I would be comfortable with. He can be hard to like at times. But at least he doesn't speak in riddles like Kidders and say nothing.

Yeah. We all knew that. :lol: Speaking fluent Catalan and having read all of yerman's books and put that together. (and I thought some of my references were obscure)

Thing is, I really enjoy that he uses interviews to make points in public. It's a lot more interesting. I also don't blame him for being selected for Ireland and do think that his attitude as regards winning and self-confidence is superb. The downside of that is that he is quite catty towards other people, he does belittle others' achievements, and he does have a monstrous ego which he polishes in public. Most successful sports people do I suppose, if I had done what he had I would be undoubtedly even more insufferable.
But he does mean what he says in interviews. He is setting his agendas. And to think otherwise would be to suggest that he is less intelligent than I believe he is.

And yes, he is discounting Ulster.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Dave Cahill wrote:Or, in other words, second.
Or, to be even more pedantic, first!
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

It's an improvement on:
"The atmosphere in the camp is great......
We are doing great in training........
It's our fault not Declans..........
We are a couple of passes away from playing great.......
We'll learn from this and take it to bed and dry hump it till the media have forgotten about it........"
Sort of shite i'm used to for the last few years. Arrogant, yep- but he's entitled to think what he wants.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

meinster wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Or, in other words, second.
Or, to be even more pedantic, first!
No, using the ROG method, we were first - you know, with respect to Ulster and Munster.
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Peg Leg wrote:It's an improvement on:
We'll learn from this and take it to bed and dry hump it till the media have forgotten about it........"
Sort of shite i'm used to for the last few years. Arrogant, yep- but he's entitled to think what he wants.
Fine, but we're also entitled to call him on his delusional, arrogant bullshit.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

fourthirtythree wrote:The downside of that is that he is quite catty towards other people, he does belittle others' achievements, and he does have a monstrous ego which he polishes in public. Most successful sports people do I suppose, if I had done what he had I would be undoubtedly even more insufferable.
Yup, that's all fair enough.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

fourthirtythree wrote:
johng wrote:sion you had ruffled mine.

Thing is, I really enjoy that he uses interviews to make points in public. It's a lot more interesting. I also don't blame him for being selected for Ireland and do think that his attitude as regards winning and self-confidence is superb. The downside of that is that he is quite catty towards other people, he does belittle others' achievements, and he does have a monstrous ego which he polishes in public. Most successful sports people do I suppose, if I had done what he had I would be undoubtedly even more insufferable.
But he does mean what he says in interviews. He is setting his agendas. And to think otherwise would be to suggest that he is less intelligent than I believe he is.

And yes, he is discounting Ulster.
It's a bit of Roy Keane attitude. He's a hard working competitor and sometimes you have to take the good and the bad. Without that will driving him, he'd be an unknown. I accept him and the important role he has played within Irish rugby. But I don't deny his flaws and I don't agree with a lot of what he says.
meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Dave Cahill wrote:No, using the ROG method, we were first - you know, with respect to Ulster and Munster.
Hang on, we were talking about ROG being delusional here; wait your turn!
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

I think the most impressive thing about all this is that our mate He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named managed to get three stories about ROG into the Indo out of one interview.

Say anything you like about He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, but the sheer quantity of his Munster articles is second-to-none in world rugby journalism.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Donny B. wrote:
That is why we're here, yes!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
"It’s easy to repeat the foray, the trek to the North Pole [but] it’s the first fellas that did it is what I take pride in,
I think fellas is plural, so he could be referring to 10 people.

Really classy of you (I assume it was a deliberate attempt to twist what he said).
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Donny B. wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
Peg Leg wrote: Really Roig? If you did it this year it would be a far, far more impressive feat than when it was done with an international 1-10 playing against club sides without that luxury. Were they the ten people who made it possible? I love the bitterness in that, attempting to belittle other people's achievements. Real classy.
Ulster was a one-hit wonder. They didn't even qualify for the knock-outs for another 10 years. They didn't kick on from that. Mind you - Leinster followed their path for a good few years. :(
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Peg Leg wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
That is why we're here, yes!
We live to serve... :D

Seriously though, I actually hopes, for his sake, that he retires at the end of this season. At this stage he's actually damaging his legacy and doing more harm than good for Munster and no amount of "I'm as good as ever" press interviews is going to change that.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He wants a contract. If he gets an offer that's worth his while, he'll play on. If not (which would indicate that he's not in the running to start), he'll quit.

Every one of that Munster generation played for pretty much as long as they could looking for one more glory day, rather than skipping into the sunset. I've no problem with that btw, I lamented the Leinster players who went with so much to offer still.

In his own way, he's still a decent player, but Munster (and Ireland) need to put on too much of a tactical straitjacket to get the best out of him, the time for being willing to accept that is past.