Sevens

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Sevens

Post by Dave Cahill »

nc6000 wrote: June 20th, 2021, 7:22 pm Was Olympic qualification one of Nucifora's goals?

Yes, qualification for the Olympics for the men in 2020 and the women in 2016 and 2020
I have Bumbleflex
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 20th, 2021, 7:36 pm
nc6000 wrote: June 20th, 2021, 7:22 pm Was Olympic qualification one of Nucifora's goals?

Yes, qualification for the Olympics for the men in 2020 and the women in 2016 and 2020
So he's one from three on that one.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 20th, 2021, 6:42 pm Jordan Conroy is the most Offaly man ever
:shock:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

After La Rochelle knocking us out of the Heino and then Toulouse becoming the first team to earn a fifth star, I must admit to a degree of Schadenfreude, that it was the French the BIG 7s beat for the place at the Tokyo Olympics.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeinsterLeader wrote: June 20th, 2021, 6:39 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: June 20th, 2021, 6:36 pm Brilliant, very emotional, interview from Billy Dardis post match currrently
Seems like a hugely genuine guy! As we say in Dublin "A decent skin" :)
https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/1 ... 64832?s=20
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That Seven's Squad have been magnificent. Despite receiving a relative pittance as professional sportsmen, they have inspired each other to go the extra yard and fulfill their dreams. They will forever be the first Irish Seven's Team to compete in the Olympics and they probably have inspired thousands of young boys and girls around the country to have their own dreams tonight.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

This is a massive bugbear of mine, nothing annoys me more - f%~king sync up the audio and the video. I understand when it's live, over streaming, with all the problems currenetly with covid etc, but I've just had six pints of guinness and including download and upload it took me 4 minutes and 20 seconds to sync it all up (or at least I think I did - six pints like)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iXU8hng5Mp3rn58Z7
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Any chance that one of the tech wizards on here (or in Leinster or IRFU) could put together the package of YouTube clips comprising:

A. The Ire v Samoa game;
B. The France v Ire Final; and
C. The post match interview with Dardis, McNulty & Kennedy & Conroy.

These were the best rugby moments of this Irish season and should be available for posterity.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

cormac wrote: June 21st, 2021, 10:31 am All of Day 3 is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS6WKZUJsTA&t=32037s
Well done @ cormac, much appreciated.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

cormac wrote: June 21st, 2021, 10:31 am All of Day 3 is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS6WKZUJsTA&t=32037s
Great question.
Great answer.
Great Pashun
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ireland drawn against the Blitzboks, USA and Kenya
I have Bumbleflex
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Given the other options, I'd say that's a reasonable draw.
pool1 NZ, Oz & Argentina
pool 2 Fiji, GB & Canada
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

‘Good’ article from Murray Kinsella today about Ian Fitzpatrick but it’s somewhat marred for me by starting off with “he was let go by Leinster”. Is it just me or is Murray finding more and more ways to get little digs in?

Also, are Leinster the only team to ever let academy players go because we only ever seem to get those stories. I wish I had the time and resources to look back at the Munster, Ulster and Connacht academy players over the last 5 years and see where they are now - at least we know the lads who come through our system are so well trained that they’re wanted elsewhere.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

7s is a 2nd chance for provincial players who didn't quite make it. I don't know if there's much point in changing that narrative. The 7s team wouldnt have gotten anywhere without picking up pros on the edge of the game. I don't really see this as a slight against Leinster.

There a player on the Lions tour who was released by Leinster. There are 2 uncapped back rows in the Ireland squad who came through the Leinster system and got 2nd chances in other provinces. Did we miss out? Probably not (except Beirne). If our rejects are leapfrogging the players we keep then I worry. If they're leapfrogging the players produced by other provinces then it's a mark against those other provinces. At least Connacht and Ulster can take those players and continue their development.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Xanthippe wrote: July 4th, 2021, 12:47 pm ‘Good’ article from Murray Kinsella today about Ian Fitzpatrick but it’s somewhat marred for me by starting off with “he was let go by Leinster”. Is it just me or is Murray finding more and more ways to get little digs in?

Also, are Leinster the only team to ever let academy players go because we only ever seem to get those stories. I wish I had the time and resources to look back at the Munster, Ulster and Connacht academy players over the last 5 years and see where they are now - at least we know the lads who come through our system are so well trained that they’re wanted elsewhere.
Ah come on, that's hugely sensitive.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The42 has a decent note about the selection of the Olympic Sevens Squad. Gavin Mullan made the Squad:

https://www.the42.ie/ireland-sevens-squ ... 7-Jul2021/

Good luck to Billy Dardis and his men and delighted to see he picked up a First Class Honours Degree from Smurfit Business School during the week. So this group will be well guided from the Captain
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

In case people haven't seen the results yet
Show Spoiler:
Ireland's Olympic campaign has had a terrible start losing to both the Blitzbokke and the Eagles. Only a two point loss to the Yanks though, which may come into it in terms of being the best third place team, providing we beat Kenya at 3am tomorrrow morning
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Dave Cahill wrote: July 26th, 2021, 10:58 am In case people haven't seen the results yet
Show Spoiler:
Ireland's Olympic campaign has had a terrible start losing to both the Blitzbokke and the Eagles. Only a two point loss to the Yanks though, which may come into it in terms of being the best third place team, providing we beat Kenya at 3am tomorrrow morning
Show Spoiler:
It was always going to be a tall order in what has been deemed the group of death. SA are near the top and the USA where doing well before COVID hit. Fingers crossed they do the business against Kenya and get that best third place team spot.
Anyone But New Zealand
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

Spoilers for those who haven't seen Kenya game.
Show Spoiler:
Felt inevitable at half-time game would pan out the way it did. Had so many chances to cruise ahead. Still at least got a win at the Olympics on the board but the manner of it probably makes it feel like a 50 point hammering would have been better.