Sevens

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Sevens

Post by Dave Cahill »

Show Spoiler:
SoupyNorman wrote: July 27th, 2021, 4:07 am Spoilers for those who haven't seen Kenya game.

Felt inevitable at half-time game would pan out the way it did. Had so many chances to cruise ahead. Still at least got a win at the Olympics on the board but the manner of it probably makes it feel like a 50 point hammering would have been better.
You could see the effects of pressure in that game - in the first half when they had nothing to lose they looked like the sevens team we know - but in the second half at 12-0 when they did have something to lose you could see them struggle with the pressure. They had a couple of great chances to score the third try early in the half but guys made errors that were totally out of character for them
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Show Spoiler:
So Irelands sevens tournament comes to an end with a loss to Kenya to finish 10th - which matches their World Series position last season. Its a weird one - getting to the tournamenet in the first place was such an achievement, however I can't help but feel that the team will be pretty disappointed with how they performed. They never really fired a shot and never looked like themselves at all - one of the commentators said they looked like a shadow of the team they really are, and that is a pretty accurate summation.
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Have we any idea what the net cost of the 7s programme is for IRFU?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the spoofer wrote: July 28th, 2021, 10:26 am Have we any idea what the net cost of the 7s programme is for IRFU?
From what I read in the accounts I think the net cost for the mens team is about 500-600k taking various grants etc into account - I wouldn't take my reading of the accounts to the bank though, they are somewhat oblique
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: July 28th, 2021, 11:55 am
the spoofer wrote: July 28th, 2021, 10:26 am Have we any idea what the net cost of the 7s programme is for IRFU?
From what I read in the accounts I think the net cost for the mens team is about 500-600k taking various grants etc into account - I wouldn't take my reading of the accounts to the bank though, they are somewhat oblique
They always are. I see that Nucifora is pushing for underage 7s teams. This is his pet project and someone needs to challenge him on it.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

the spoofer wrote: July 28th, 2021, 12:19 pm
They always are. I see that Nucifora is pushing for underage 7s teams. This is his pet project and someone needs to challenge him on it.
Underage 7s teams playing what level and where and why does it need to be challenged?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

ormond lad wrote: July 28th, 2021, 12:28 pm

Underage 7s teams playing what level and where and why does it need to be challenged?
Cause 7s is as different a game from rugby as hurling and football. It should be responsible for financing itself and not draw on proper rugby.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ormond lad wrote: July 28th, 2021, 12:28 pm Underage 7s teams playing what level and where and why does it need to be challenged?
Because it's a separate sport and would be taking players away from rugby uniion.
I have Bumbleflex
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

the spoofer wrote: July 28th, 2021, 12:36 pm
ormond lad wrote: July 28th, 2021, 12:28 pm

Cause 7s is as different a game from rugby as hurling and football. It should be responsible for financing itself and not draw on proper rugby.
Not sure the comparison works here as hurling and football are financed by the one organisation...
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

If any reasonable rugby supporter had said we would be competing in the Olympics three years ago, he would have been laughed at.

The Seven's Squad have been superb and deserve to be lauded for leading the way into the future. The IRFU Committee have shown little or no support for Sevens for the past decade and only Nucifora's arrival changed that picture. Nucifora doesn't attract many positive comments for anything he does but his support and drive to develop our Sevens has been a triumph, despite the pittance that players receive.

The Provinces and Clubs have now got to take the baton and carry this on. Sevens is in effect a different game from 15's but the players come from the same pool. That pool is in the Clubs and Schools and remains largely interchangeable until players are mid-20's. It is a viable route for boys and girls and could substantially increase the numbers playing the game, especially those attracted to rugby from other field sports.

I'd love to see Leinster take a lead on this but fear that the Schools may fear that it will take from the 15's game and thus relegate it to the back of the queue.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ruckedtobits wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:40 am If any reasonable rugby supporter had said we would be competing in the Olympics three years ago, he would have been laughed at.

The Seven's Squad have been superb and deserve to be lauded for leading the way into the future. The IRFU Committee have shown little or no support for Sevens for the past decade and only Nucifora's arrival changed that picture. Nucifora doesn't attract many positive comments for anything he does but his support and drive to develop our Sevens has been a triumph, despite the pittance that players receive.

The Provinces and Clubs have now got to take the baton and carry this on. Sevens is in effect a different game from 15's but the players come from the same pool. That pool is in the Clubs and Schools and remains largely interchangeable until players are mid-20's. It is a viable route for boys and girls and could substantially increase the numbers playing the game, especially those attracted to rugby from other field sports.

I'd love to see Leinster take a lead on this but fear that the Schools may fear that it will take from the 15's game and thus relegate it to the back of the queue.
Couldn’t disagree more. Set up a 7s Union funded internally if you want to play and support 7s. It’s a different sport. Rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes. 7s isn’t.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

the spoofer wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:37 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: July 29th, 2021, 7:40 am If any reasonable rugby supporter had said we would be competing in the Olympics three years ago, he would have been laughed at.

Couldn’t disagree more. Set up a 7s Union funded internally if you want to play and support 7s. It’s a different sport. Rugby is a game for all shapes and sizes. 7s isn’t.
:clap:
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

It wont work unless all provinces have coordinated effort to work harder on developing 7s. the schools can be shown it wont take at all from 15s as the 7s season doesnt need to be that long and still will/can have plenty of games/game days for kids to be playing and it can also be a way to integrate schools players back into clubs as well.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

A very good showing by a callow M7s squad.

We lost our last two play off games against Kenya and England. As per the IRFU report below: "Anthony Eddy’s youngsters came to Vancouver with a collective haul of just 22 World Series caps, compared to the Kenyans’ 195 and Britain’s 255."

www.irishrugby.ie/2021/09/19/ireland-me ... es-opener/
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Another round of World Series Sevens in Edmonton, Canada. This was won by SA again beating GB in the final with Kenya beating Canada to take Bronze. Ireland unfortunate to lose to Canada in q/f having beaten GB in Pool game.

The surprise package for me was Germany who had two Pool wins and look a coming force.

Only picked up highlights but it looked like Ireland had Dardis, Kennedy and some others of the Olympuc Squad.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ireland men and women both lose their opening two fixtures in Dubai, to the Boks and GB, and Fiji and GB, respectively.

Ireland M's game against GB was the usual tight fixture with GBs winning try coming on the hooter.

In other news, which should turn those last useful idiots who think that sevens is of any value to Rugby Union back to the light, Hugh Cahill is one of the commentators
I have Bumbleflex
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Qualified to cup quarter final but beaten in extra time by Argentina. Could very easily have went the other way.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Sevens in Malaga started well winning our Pool with key win over Australia. However, we came a cropper against Argentina in the 1/4 Final and now play France in 5th Place play-off.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Sevens in Singapore started really well with wins against Fiji and Japan. Last match in Pool was lost 5-12 to France but we've made the Q/F and will face winner of SA v USA tomorrow morning. Many of the familiar faces and a couple of new ones including U.20's winger Chay Mullins.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

And Irish Sevens keep going with 14-12 win over USA in Q/F and now face NZ. Aus v Fiji in other S/F.