Sevens

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

kermischocolate
Mullet

Re: Sevens

Post by kermischocolate »

Donny B. wrote:And now the Womens team aren't going either. Maybe now they can go back to giving a sh!t about the Six Nations?

They never were going to go but good on them for retaining their Core Team Status for next year.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Good win for Ireland Men's Sevens over the weekend. Now qualified for European Series next Season, one level below World Series.

Mick McGrath piled in the tries. Well done Ireland.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Progression is going very nicely so far. Here's hoping it continues next year.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

So Mick McGrath is a sevens sensation. What does this mean for Ireland, Leinster and Mick?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:So Mick McGrath is a sevens sensation. What does this mean for Ireland, Leinster and Mick?
He might get a full time gig out of it
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
kermischocolate
Mullet

Anyone watch the 7s at the Olympics?

Views? Opinions?
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

kermischocolate wrote:Anyone watch the 7s at the Olympics?

Views? Opinions?
Good fun to watch but still the duplo to 15s Lego technic. When what's basically a scratch side of players (team GB) can medal it seems a bit strange that full timers didn't.
Anyone But New Zealand
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

FLIP wrote:

Views? Opinions?
Good fun to watch but still the duplo to 15s Lego technic. When what's basically a scratch side of players (team GB) can medal it seems a bit strange that full timers didn't.
Are team GB effectively not just England's 7 side? Apologies but I didn't really follow the 7 game too closely
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

TerenureJim wrote:
FLIP wrote:

Views? Opinions?
Are team GB effectively not just England's 7 side? Apologies but I didn't really follow the 7 game too closely
They had some pretty good ringers like Mark Bennet of Scotland, Glasgow and ex Clermont plus the Scarlets James 'Cubby' Davies and thats off the top of my head
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

They had a lad from Melrose too, maybe one more scot but that was it. It was pretty much the England team on mostly I thought, but Davies was good for them. They were rather fortunate to beat japan and to win the quarter final (v Argentina). That game was played in a downpour and both teams kept kicking it away. It finished nil-nil (!) and GB got their try in extra time. The semi final was impressive, though I think senatla may not have played for SA in that game. It was low scoring too and that was never gonna cut it against Fiji.

New Zealand seemed to suffer from bringing in the 15s men. SBW got unlucky with injury, but the Ioane lads were really poor. They've looked good to me in 15s. They are good players. But they both looked a bit casual and slack and my goodness it did not go well for them.

Fiji took in Nakawara from 15s and he was arguably their best player (no mean feat, they were amazing) and their Toulon player Tuisova (very similar body shape to stefon armitage and basteareud) also impressed. They all did, but Nakawara was just outrageous.

I personally thought it was brilliant. But I maybe like my 7s more than most. Japan were the big story obviously. Their technique at breakdown was a thing of beauty. I could easily see that translating to a benefit in 15s. States were very unlucky not to qualify and I think they gave Fiji a reasonable game in the groups. Spain (who put us out in qualifying) lost all 3.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Another great win for Ireland Men in the European Grand Prix Series in Clermont today. Alongside the win in Moscow in early June, this puts us top of the Table as they go to Exeter in a couple of weeks.

Beat Russia in final today by 17 -14 with a winning try coming from Conroy ( Buccs).

Well done Billy Dardis and Squad
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ireland beat France, Spain and Russia ( Final) today and Wales, Italy and Belgium yesterday
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A little surprised that Ireland's second Grand Prix win in Men's Sevens didn't make more news last weekend. An excellent performance by the team captained by Billy Dardis. Playing a particular brand of defensive-pressing Sevens, with just one out and out speed merchant, Jordan Conroy, on the Squad.

With just the Final Grand Prix in Exeter to go, the top three teams are well ahead of the others which included France, Wales and England:
1st. Ireland: 56 points
2nd. Russia: 54 points
3rd. Spain: 52 points

4th. Germany: 34 points.

So Ireland have qualified for Hong Kong next year and are in a good place to claim one of the two slots for next year's World Cup Sevens in San Francisco.

Well done to all.

(Edited to correct ref to Sevens World Cup)
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Hopefully it spurs on the academy lads involved.
the-goon
Beginner

Post by the-goon »

Really impressed with Dardis' kicking, restarts, goal and line kicking have been of the highest order.

Conroy is rapid, not seen an Irish player with that kind out stop end speed before. He doesn't seem to have the best rugby brain, but he is big and quick so hopefully it will come.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

the-goon wrote:Really impressed with Dardis' kicking, restarts, goal and line kicking have been of the highest order.

Conroy is rapid, not seen an Irish player with that kind out stop end speed before. He doesn't seem to have the best rugby brain, but he is big and quick so hopefully it will come.
Can you see these games somewhere or were you just at the matches? Would love to get a look at them if possible.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Can you see these games somewhere or were you just at the matches? Would love to get a look at them if possible.
Eir were showing the two days. Rugby Europe have been streaming these events as well. If you go on their website I think there are replays of selected games
Ruckedtobits wrote:A little surprised that Ireland's second Grand Prix win in Men's Sevens didn't make more news last weekend. An excellent performance by the team captained by Billy Dardis. Playing a particular brand of defensive-pressing Sevens, with just one out and out speed merchant, Jordan Conroy, on the Squad.

With just the Final Grand Prix in Exeter to go, the top three teams are well ahead of the others which included France, Wales and England:
1st. Ireland: 56 points
2nd. Russia: 54 points
3rd. Spain: 52 points

4th. Germany: 34 points.

So Ireland have qualified for Hong Kong next year and are in a good place to claim one of the two slots for next year's World Cup Sevens in San Francisco.

Well done to all.

(Edited to correct ref to Sevens World Cup)
Greg O'Shea has a 10.87 100m time from 2012
kermischocolate
Mullet

They've done very well. Here's hoping they continue to improve, finish on a high in Exeter and do well in Hong Kong.

Germany have thrown money at 7s and were very unlucky not to qualify for this season's Series. They just ran out of steam in Hong Kong and Spain's experience showed.

Games are streamed on Rugby Europe website.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

1st class, thanks.
the-goon
Beginner

Post by the-goon »

Fan with smartphone wrote:
the-goon wrote:Really impressed with Dardis' kicking, restarts, goal and line kicking have been of the highest order.

Can you see these games somewhere or were you just at the matches? Would love to get a look at them if possible.
Yep, as mentioned, it's on the Rugby Europe website. Ireland have looked like the best team across the 3 events so far, and that is against the 1st team of Spain and Russia, 2 World Series teams. It shows that the depth is there to put out a competitive team in 7s. It's another event to support Ireland in, so happy days.

Even though it's a year out, we should be targeting a win the HK qualifer. Japan, Germany, Chile and Hong Kong themselves will likely be the main challengers.