Six Nations Thread - General and other teams

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Six Nations Thread - General and other teams

Post by Donny B. »

Rugby: Centre Manu Tuilagi will miss England’s Six Nations opener against Scotland at Twickenham, coach Stuart Lancaster has announced.
Tuilagi has been ruled out of Saturday’s encounter with an ankle injury but could return for the second round of the championship against Ireland on Sunday week.

Lancaster also confirmed that prop Alex Corbisiero will be sidelined for the entire Six Nations with a knee problem.

“Manu has run out of time for Scotland and we’ll make a call on him for Ireland early next week,” Lancaster said.

Tuilagi was devastating during last autumn’s record 38-21 victory over world champions New Zealand, scoring one try and creating two more.

The explosive 21-year-old is England’s most dangerous player and, when fit, has been an ever-present in their midfield since making his debut in 2011.

“By the end of the week we expect Manu to be running fully and changing direction,” Lancaster said.

“The message I’m receiving from the medical team is that he will be training fully by Tuesday or Wednesday next week, but I’ll need to make a call earlier in the week. He won’t be training properly until at least Friday.

“Manu is a big loss, he was outstanding against New Zealand. But he missed the first two games of last year’s Six Nations because of a hamstring and it’s an opportunity for someone else. It’s disappointing for him, but it’s not a long-term injury so he’ll be back soon.”

England must decide whether to draft in Billy Twelvetrees or Jonathan Joseph to partner Brad Barritt, while outhalves Toby Flood and Owen Farrell are alternatives.

“We have a pretty good idea of how we’ll rejig the midfield. We have our thoughts,” Lancaster said.

“It changes the emphasis a little bit, but it won’t fundamentally affect the way we play.

“Brad will be in the equation and we need to make sure we can still break the gainline and have physical defenders. We’ve got to have the ability to get across the gainline and defend.”

The initial outlook on Corbisiero’s knee problem was that he could return against France on February 23rd, but London Irish director of rugby Brian Smith revealed last night that his rehabilitation will take longer.

Lancaster, however, denies Smith’s suggestion that the injury is more grave than has been made public.

“The reality is the surgeons recommended two weeks rest and said it would then take six to eight weeks to be back playing, so that will rule him out of the Six Nations,” said Lancaster.

“Hopefully he’ll be back around the final game against Wales, but the reality is he’ll have to play two or three Premiership games first.

“It’s a shame because everything I heard about the operation was positive, but it’s going to take a while to get right. Everyone’s positive and upbeat about his recovery.

“Alex is a big loss, but Joe Marler has played well for Harlequins recently. Mako Vunipola is improving all the time and Nick Wood was outstanding for the Saxons.”

Gloucester outhalf Freddie Burns has been ruled out against Scotland and Ireland with knee ligament injury damage, while Wasps number eight Billy Vunipola is struggling with an ankle problem.

Meanwhile, Kelly Brown has been told he can keep hold of the Scotland captaincy for the opener against England.

Interim head coach Scott Johnson has decided to stick with the Saracens man, who was skipper for the autumn internationals, when the Scots run out for the Calcutta Cup match.

Brown, capped 52 times, said: “It’s a huge honour to captain Scotland. The job now is to work with all the players in the squad to deliver a performance to make the country proud this weekend.”

Johnson has refused to confirm whether Brown, who missed last year’s Six Nations through injury, would continue in the role. However, he is content for him to carry on as he is for now.

Johnson said: “It was right and proper that the coaches considered the captaincy at the same time as we were looking at selection of our squad for the England game.

“We believe Kelly has the qualities we’re looking for to captain Scotland. Captaincy is about deed in my book, not Churchillian oratory, and the experience that Kelly brings to the Test match arena is good for this team.

“We are looking at our leadership group and I’ll be naming two vice-captains in the team we announce tomorrow.”

Johnson’s reluctance to confirm Brown’s continuation in the role for the whole Championship stems from the fact his own place in the team is not guaranteed.

The 30-year-old played in all three backrow positions during Scotland’s three November Tests with New Zealand, Australia and Tonga, whose surprise victory at Pittodrie eventually forced former coach Andy Robinson to resign.

He faces competition for the number eight jersey from a resurgent Johnnie Beattie, while Alasdair Strokosch and Al Kellock offer alternative options in other key forward positions.

But Brown insists getting Scotland off to a winning start in London this weekend is his main focus and not holding on to his role as skipper.

He said: “It’s not about that. It’s not about me, it’s about the team. Yes I want to play well, but by playing well that will enable the team to be successful.

“That’s what all of the guys in the group have to buy into. It’s all about the team.”
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Six Nations Thread - General and other teams

Post by Donny B. »

Another else think BBC have outdone themselves with the poxy TV times this year?

Why the hell does the Ireland - Wales match have a 1.30 kick off this Saturday? The England - Scotland game could have been played at 5.00 or 5.30 without putting anyone out leaving room for a 2.30 or 3.00 KO for our match. In fact, every other Saturday, bar the last, the games are at 2.30 and 5.00.

Then there's two Sunday games for Ireland, including the Ireland-England match, which I'm sure has the publicans of Dublin taking out a contract on them.

Then on the final day, we're playing Italy at half two but the last game doesn't take place until 8 in the evening.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

You appear to think that the Six Nations is some kind of sporting tournament. Disavow yourself of that notion.
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dave Cahill wrote:You appear to think that the Six Nations is some kind of sporting tournament. Disavow yourself of that notion.
I know, I know, more of a corporate jamboree at this stage!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Donny B. wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:You appear to think that the Six Nations is some kind of sporting tournament. Disavow yourself of that notion.
They're having a conference to work out how to hold the tournament without that 80 minutes of commercial free running around that currently happens in each event.
I have Bumbleflex
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
They're having a conference to work out how to hold the tournament without that 80 minutes of commercial free running around that currently happens in each event.
Quite right too. Bloody ruins it and means less time for Prawn sandwiches...
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rbuLn-Y8KM

Michael Lynagh's prediciton of the Ireland game.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Thought Maitland was a project player for them, didn't know he was already qualified. Quite a back three then with Hogg and Visser, but hard to see them getting a pass with that midfield.

Interim head coach Scott Johnson has awarded a Test debut to wing Sean Maitland for Saturday's Six Nations opener against England at Twickenham.

In addition to New Zealand-born Maitland, the Kiwi's Glasgow Warriors team-mate Dougie Hall gets his first start in six years at hooker while number eight Johnnie Beattie is recalled to the side.

In all, Johnson has made six changes and one additional positional switch from the team that ended the November Tests with defeat to Tonga in Aberdeen for this weekend's Calcutta Cup clash.

Sean Lamont moves from wing to centre, Ruaridh Jackson returns at fly-half with Greig Laidlaw starting an international for the first time at scrum-half - the position in which he was reared and in which his uncle, Roy Laidlaw, scored a superb solo try in Scotland's last Twickenham victory in 1983.

In the pack Ryan Grant is restored from injury at loosehead, Hall begins a Scotland game for the first time since the 2007 Championship match against Ireland at Murrayfield and completing the front-row Euan Murray becomes the 33rd Scot to reach the landmark of 50 or more caps.

Jim Hamilton is recalled to partner Richie Gray in the second row and, in the back-row, Beattie is back on duty for the first time since the pre RWC warm-up match against Ireland at Murrayfield in 2011.

"I've spoken about the importance of this competition, the history and tradition of it, and you couldn't get a more mouth-watering opening than the game between international rugby's oldest foes," said Johnson.

"Selection for us has been about form but also with an eye to the future.

"Sean Maitland is very proud to be pulling on the Scotland jersey for the first time. His family will be rapt because they raised him in New Zealand always reminding him of his Scottish heritage, getting up in the early hours of the morning to watch both the Five and Six Nations games on the TV.

"He's shown he can play footy with the best of them and the impact he's made since arriving at Glasgow in the autumn has underlined what we'd seen of him playing for the Crusaders in Super Rugby.

"I've named Greig and Ryan as vice-captains because they're both quality rugby players and the sort of blokes that I reckon can add to the leadership mix.

"I've been impressed by what I've seen of Johnnie Beattie. He brings dynamism to our back-row and we're looking for him to bring that to bear on Saturday."

Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Sean Maitland, 13 Sean Lamont, 12 Matt Scott, 11 Tim Visser, 10 Ruaridh Jackson, 9 Greig Laidlaw, 8 Johnnie Beattie, 7 Kelly Brown, 6 Alasdair Strokosch, 5 Jim Hamilton, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Euan Murray, 2 Dougie Hall, 1 Ryan Grant.
Replacements: 16 Ross Ford, 17 Moray Low, 18 Geoff Cross, 19 Alastair Kellock, 20 David Denton, 21 Henry Pyrgos, 22 Duncan Weir, 23 Max Evans.

Date: Saturday, 2 February
Venue: Twickenham
Kick-off: 16:00 GMT
Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant referees: John Lacey (Ireland) and Leighton Hodges (Wales)
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Jim Telfer :"England arrogant , Wales Lazy..."
http://www.espnscrum.com/six-nations-20 ... 76203.html
This piece is going up on the dressing room wall. He mustn't like Johnson
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Donny B. wrote:Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Sean Maitland, 13 Sean Lamont, 12 Matt Scott, 11 Tim Visser, 10 Ruaridh Jackson, 9 Greig Laidlaw, 8 Johnnie Beattie, 7 Kelly Brown, 6 Alasdair Strokosch, 5 Jim Hamilton, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Euan Murray, 2 Dougie Hall, 1 Ryan Grant.
Replacements: 16 Ross Ford, 17 Moray Low, 18 Geoff Cross, 19 Alastair Kellock, 20 David Denton, 21 Henry Pyrgos, 22 Duncan Weir, 23 Max Evans.
I think Scotland will be the surprise package in the championship this season. They won't win it - obviously - but I think they'll win 2 games and might........just sneak a third one. There are tries in the outside backs, especially Maitland. His Super Rugby try scoring ratio is very impressive. If Dean Ryan keeps the pack gaining parity, they'll be very difficult to beat.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

suisse wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Scotland: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Sean Maitland, 13 Sean Lamont, 12 Matt Scott, 11 Tim Visser, 10 Ruaridh Jackson, 9 Greig Laidlaw, 8 Johnnie Beattie, 7 Kelly Brown, 6 Alasdair Strokosch, 5 Jim Hamilton, 4 Richie Gray, 3 Euan Murray, 2 Dougie Hall, 1 Ryan Grant.
I think Scotland will be the surprise package in the championship this season. They won't win it - obviously - but I think they'll win 2 games and might........just sneak a third one. There are tries in the outside backs, especially Maitland. His Super Rugby try scoring ratio is very impressive. If Dean Ryan keeps the pack gaining parity, they'll be very difficult to beat.
Ryan could be the key man for them alright. It's certainly a big pack but it shows how far Ross Ford's stock has fallen that they've brought back ould Dougie Hall ahead of him. They should be competitive enough up front but it's the halves and midfield where they are seriously missing. The last time I say Jackson play was for Glasgow against us and he was beyond woeful. And at this stage Laidlaw is probably a better ten than a nine. In midfield they have Matt Scott (who?) and Lamont, a big basher who only ever thinks of a pass as a last resort.

For the back three to have any impact, they will need to counter-attack off every opportunity cause they'll probably only get chances they create between themselves. They're talented enough to do that mind, but it's a risky strategy against a tough English defense.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I seriously rate big Jim Hamilton as well. In fact, I'd prefer to see him get the nod for the Lions over Mr. Overrated Grey. He is a serious bruiser, and doesn't give an inch. Geoff Parling and Hamilton would make a seriously good pairing for the Lions this year IMO.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Toulon centre Mathieu Bastareaud has made the second cut for a place in France's squad for this year's Six Nations.

Bastareaud, recalled after a near three-year absence, took one step closer to a Test return after coach Philippe Saint-Andre trimmed his initial 33-strong group to an official squad of 24 for Sunday's opener against Italy.

Flanker Thierry Dusautoir and prop Luc Ducalcon were also retained in a group which will ultimately be cut further down to 23 on Wednesday after Saint-Andre works out his options on the fitness of his loose forwards.

Saint-Andre will unveil his starting line-up on Friday.

Bastareaud is in superlative form with Top 14 leaders Toulon, who also topped their Heineken Cup pool to reach the quarter-finals, and is seemingly a reformed character since his move from Stade Francais.

His fall from grace there had been remarkable after he had been considered one of the brightest prospects both at club and international level.

Humiliatingly, he had to admit he lied over a late-night incident on the 2009 tour of New Zealand where he claimed he sustained facial injuries after being assaulted on his way back to the team hotel.

It turned out he had fallen over a table in his room having returned in a drunken state.

Bastareaud nevertheless played a full role in the 2010 Six Nations Grand Slam campaign, starting all five games, but since then he has failed to add to his nine caps amid poor form and weight problems.

But now he is back in favour and ready to seize a new chance to shine.

Dusautoir, IRB player of the year in 2011, has not worn the blue shirt since the last Six Nations in which the French came a desultory fourth.

He was left off the subsequent tour of Argentina and then missed out in the November Tests owing to a knee injury. But now the Toulouse forward is likely to claim a starting berth with Montpellier's Fulgence Ouedraogo nursing an ankle injury.

Racing Metro's Ducalcon last featured at the 2011 World Cup but also makes the squad, while Saint-Andre has given a vote of confidence to 22-year-old second row Romain Taofifenua, who has just one cap to date.

France squad:

Forwards: Vincent Debaty (Clermont), Yannick Forestier (Castres), Benjamin Kayser (Clermont), Dimitri Szarzewski (Racing-Metro), Luc Ducalcon (Racing-Metro), Nicolas Mas (Perpignan), Yoann Maestri (Toulouse), Pascal Pape (Stade Francais, capt), Romain Taofifenua (Perpignan), Damien Chouly (Clermont), Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse), Yannick Nyanga (Toulouse), Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), Louis Picamoles (Toulouse)

Backs: Maxime Machenaud (Racing-Metro), Morgan Parra (Clermont), Frederic Michalak (Toulon), François Trinh-Duc (Montpellier), Mathieu Bastareaud (Toulon), Benjamin Fall (Racing-Metro), Wesley Fofana (Clermont), Florian Fritz (Toulouse), Yoann Huget (Toulouse), Maxime Mermoz (Toulon)
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Donny B. wrote:Toulon centre Mathieu Bastareaud has made the second cut for a place in France's squad for this year's Six Nations.

Bastareaud, recalled after a near three-year absence, took one step closer to a Test return after coach Philippe Saint-Andre trimmed his initial 33-strong group to an official squad of 24 for Sunday's opener against Italy.

Flanker Thierry Dusautoir and prop Luc Ducalcon were also retained in a group which will ultimately be cut further down to 23 on Wednesday after Saint-Andre works out his options on the fitness of his loose forwards.

Saint-Andre will unveil his starting line-up on Friday.

Bastareaud is in superlative form with Top 14 leaders Toulon, who also topped their Heineken Cup pool to reach the quarter-finals, and is seemingly a reformed character since his move from Stade Francais.

His fall from grace there had been remarkable after he had been considered one of the brightest prospects both at club and international level.

Humiliatingly, he had to admit he lied over a late-night incident on the 2009 tour of New Zealand where he claimed he sustained facial injuries after being assaulted on his way back to the team hotel.

It turned out he had fallen over a table in his room having returned in a drunken state.

Bastareaud nevertheless played a full role in the 2010 Six Nations Grand Slam campaign, starting all five games, but since then he has failed to add to his nine caps amid poor form and weight problems.

But now he is back in favour and ready to seize a new chance to shine.

Dusautoir, IRB player of the year in 2011, has not worn the blue shirt since the last Six Nations in which the French came a desultory fourth.

He was left off the subsequent tour of Argentina and then missed out in the November Tests owing to a knee injury. But now the Toulouse forward is likely to claim a starting berth with Montpellier's Fulgence Ouedraogo nursing an ankle injury.

Racing Metro's Ducalcon last featured at the 2011 World Cup but also makes the squad, while Saint-Andre has given a vote of confidence to 22-year-old second row Romain Taofifenua, who has just one cap to date.

France squad:

Forwards: Vincent Debaty (Clermont), Yannick Forestier (Castres), Benjamin Kayser (Clermont), Dimitri Szarzewski (Racing-Metro), Luc Ducalcon (Racing-Metro), Nicolas Mas (Perpignan), Yoann Maestri (Toulouse), Pascal Pape (Stade Francais, capt), Romain Taofifenua (Perpignan), Damien Chouly (Clermont), Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse), Yannick Nyanga (Toulouse), Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), Louis Picamoles (Toulouse)

Backs: Maxime Machenaud (Racing-Metro), Morgan Parra (Clermont), Frederic Michalak (Toulon), François Trinh-Duc (Montpellier), Mathieu Bastareaud (Toulon), Benjamin Fall (Racing-Metro), Wesley Fofana (Clermont), Florian Fritz (Toulouse), Yoann Huget (Toulouse), Maxime Mermoz (Toulon)
:shock: Where is Rougerie? :(
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Dropped. Not for the first time. Saint Andre making some big calls, no Medard either.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Rougerie is 32 and hasn't been selected in almost a year. No surprise really he's not in the panel. Medard was injured for a good chunk of the season and has struggled to get back into the Toulouse side. France have a scary amount of options in the back three when you look at the players omitted: Malzieu, Medard, Poitrenaud, Clerc, Palisson, Buttin etc. We think we have options!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

True, but still surprised that Huget and Fritz are chose ahead of their many fine options.

By the looks of things Fofana will continue on the wing perhaps?
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Prediction time. The Scottish team isn't as bad as people were suggesting. You have to remember the back 5 of the Scottish pack don't play there rugby in Scotland and are less likely to roll over than say the edinborough or Glasgow pack would be in twickenham. On paper there's not much between them and England. Reckon England will win but by less than 7 and if the weathers bad Scotland might sneak it.
I think France and italy will be a dogfight. Italy always give a good performance first time out in Rome and France are notoriously bad on the road. I could see an upsetbut I'd say France will win by about 9 in the end.
Think Ireland will sneak home on Saturday against Wales by about 2 points. Wales are missing too many key players in the pack and there are question marks over the fitness of the french based players.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Donny B. wrote: By the looks of things Fofana will continue on the wing perhaps?
French mate said that they reckon that will be the case, alright. Pity if so; he still has a little extra to develop in terms of distribution but he's still probably the most threatening 12 in Europe for me currently.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd go further than that and say that he's the best player in Europe at the moment.