Six Nations Thread - General and other teams

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: Six Nations Thread - General and other teams

Post by suisse »

Predictions?

Ireland to beat England but lose to France. England to beat France but lose to Ireland. France to beat Ireland but lose to England.

I also think Scotland will win 3 matches - v Italy, Wales and one of the other 3. I'm gonna put my head on the block and say England, who judging by the media reports, are the finished article now.

France 4 wins, take the championship on points difference.
Ireland 4 wins
England 3 wins, lose to Scotland, but take 3rd on points.
Scotland 3 wins
Wales 1 win
Italy 0 wins, a hopeless campaign for the Italians.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Much as I'd love to see it happening, can't see Scotland beating England at Twickers.

You could be right about the four wins each for Ireland, England and France though, but I would take England for winners then as they normally put up a massive score at home to Itlay and Ireland and France both have to go there.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

England have included uncapped Gloucester centre Billy Twelvetrees in their 23-man squad for the Six Nations opener with Scotland on Saturday.

With Manu Tuilagi out injured, 24-year-old Twelvetrees has been preferred to London Irish outside centre Jonathan Joseph, who has been sent back to his club.

Saracens wing David Strettle has also been included, but there is no place in the squad for Northampton full-back Ben Foden.

England head coach Stuart Lancaster will confirm his starting XV on Thursday.

Mouritz Botha, who has revealed he is heading to New York "for the rest of the week", Thomas Waldrom, Lee Dickson, Billy Vunipola, Ugo Monye, Henry Thomas and Matt Kvesic were the other players released

"We've had to make some tough calls with a lot of competition for places," Lancaster.

"The players' attitude and application in training has been first rate and we know those going back to their clubs and playing in the LV= Cup will be pushing hard for contention for the Ireland match."

England squad:

Forwards (13): Dan Cole, Dylan Hartley, James Haskell, Joe Launchbury, Courtney Lawes, Joe Marler, Ben Morgan, Geoff Parling, Chris Robshaw, Mako Vunipola, David Wilson, Tom Wood, Tom Youngs,

Backs (10): Chris Ashton, Brad Barritt, Mike Brown, Danny Care, Owen Farrell, Toby Flood, Alex Goode, David Strettle, Billy Twelvetrees, Ben Youngs.

Players released: Mouritz Botha, Lee Dickson, Ben Foden, Jonathan Joseph, Matt Kvesic, Ugo Monye, Henry Thomas, Billy Vunipola, Thomas Waldrom
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Wow! Surprised they left out Foden altogether
mhow
Knowledgeable

Post by mhow »

http://thegainlineblog.wordpress.com/20 ... ry-harder/

Article on low try scoring in 6N - better defence or poor attack?
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Donny B. wrote:Much as I'd love to see it happening, can't see Scotland beating England at Twickers.

You could be right about the four wins each for Ireland, England and France though, but I would take England for winners then as they normally put up a massive score at home to Itlay and Ireland and France both have to go there.
Can see us getting two wins if we are lucky and that's Italy and England
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Leoslovechild wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Much as I'd love to see it happening, can't see Scotland beating England at Twickers.

Can see us getting two wins if we are lucky and that's Italy and England
Don't see us beating Scotland? They're getting a lot of love on here! :shock:
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

When is the last time that Scotland haven't flattered to deceive?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Donny B. wrote:Dropped. Not for the first time. Saint Andre making some big calls, no Medard either.
:roll: Who cares about Medard he's not all pretty like le beau Aurelian
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

:happy clapper:
Xanthippe wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Dropped. Not for the first time. Saint Andre making some big calls, no Medard either.
:roll: Who cares about Medard he's not all pretty like le beau Aurelian
:happy clapper: :happy clapper:
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

I can't see Scotland breaking their 30 year drought at Twickenham with this squad,some good individuals,but not yet a team.I believe they start winning at home to Italy and build from there.
I see Wales as a team in trouble and could be fighting with Italy for the wooden spoon,Ireland should have enough to win at the Millenium.
Italy at home will be handfull and I fancy they might win a game or even two,not sure it will be against France this week.
England by more than a score
Ireland by a score
France by more than a score
(a score to me is a try,not 20 points)
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

PR wrote:Uncapped Gloucester centre Billy Twelvetrees will start for England against Scotland at Twickenham on Saturday.

Twelvetrees comes in for Manu Tuilagi, while Joe Marler replaces Alex Corbisiero in two changes from the side that started against New Zealand in December.

Dylan Hartley, Toby Flood and David Strettle come on to the replacements' bench for David Paice, Freddie Burns and Jonathan Joseph respectively.

"We are happy to stick with the team that did so well against New Zealand, especially in light of the fact that they have all been in good form for their clubs since then," said England head coach Stuart Lancaster.

"There were some very tight calls, with some experienced players coming back into contention, and I am sure the bench will have a significant impact on the game.

"We can't wait to get back to Twickenham and hopefully experience the same atmosphere as the autumn when the crowd was superb. It means a lot to the players to have such support in the ground and watching on television."

England: 15 Alex Goode, 14 Chris Ashton, 13 Brad Barritt, 12 Billy Twelvetrees, 11 Mike Brown, 10 Owen Farrell, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Ben Morgan, 7 Chris Robshaw (c), 6 Tom Wood, 5 Geoff Parling, 4 Joe Launchbury, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Tom Youngs, 1 Joe Marler.
Replacements: 16 Dylan Hartley, 17 David Wilson, 18 Mako Vunipola, 19 Courtney Lawes 20 James Haskell, 21 Danny Care, 22 Toby Flood, 23 David Strettle.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Imagine being an England sub and having to sit through a match with Hartley, Lawes & Haskell. What an incentive to get into the first 15.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

nc6000 wrote:Imagine being an England sub and having to sit through a match with Hartley, Lawes & Haskell. What an incentive to get into the first 15.
I imagine the conversation would revolve around how much creatine you can consume in one sitting.
Last edited by domhnallj on January 31st, 2013, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

domhnallj wrote:
nc6000 wrote:Imagine being an England sub and having to sit through a match with Hartley, Lawes & Haskell. What an incentive to get into the first 15.
I imagine the conversation would revolve around how creatine you can consume in one sitting.

Mmmmmmm Creatine... Allllllggggggrrrrhhhhhh.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

"36" starts. Do they really not have any better centres than him? Never struck me as anything beyond ordinary tbh.

Uncapped Gloucester centre Billy Twelvetrees will start for England against Scotland at Twickenham on Saturday.

Twelvetrees comes in for Manu Tuilagi, while Joe Marler replaces Alex Corbisiero in two changes from the side that started against New Zealand in December.

Dylan Hartley, Toby Flood and David Strettle come on to the replacements' bench for David Paice, Freddie Burns and Jonathan Joseph respectively.

"We are happy to stick with the team that did so well against New Zealand, especially in light of the fact that they have all been in good form for their clubs since then," said England head coach Stuart Lancaster.

"There were some very tight calls, with some experienced players coming back into contention, and I am sure the bench will have a significant impact on the game.

"We can't wait to get back to Twickenham and hopefully experience the same atmosphere as the autumn when the crowd was superb. It means a lot to the players to have such support in the ground and watching on television."

England: 15 Alex Goode, 14 Chris Ashton, 13 Brad Barritt, 12 Billy Twelvetrees, 11 Mike Brown, 10 Owen Farrell, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Ben Morgan, 7 Chris Robshaw (c), 6 Tom Wood, 5 Geoff Parling, 4 Joe Launchbury, 3 Dan Cole, 2 Tom Youngs, 1 Joe Marler.
Replacements: 16 Dylan Hartley, 17 David Wilson, 18 Mako Vunipola, 19 Courtney Lawes 20 James Haskell, 21 Danny Care, 22 Toby Flood, 23 David Strettle.

Date: Saturday, 2 February
Venue: Twickenham
Kick-off: 16:00 GMT
Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant referees: John Lacey (Ireland) and Leighton Hodges (Wales)
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Donny B. wrote:"36" starts. Do they really not have any better centres than him?
Nope, can't think of anyone better off the top of my head. He has been ok anytime I've seen him.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Been hearing great things about this Launchbury guy but haven't really seen him play. Obviously he played in the All Blacks game but I wasn't really concentrating on him. Seems a decent sort though and anyone who keeps Courtneeeeeyyyyyyyyyy! out is alright by me! A good campaign and he could be a bolter for the Lions.

Couldn't believe Foden was left out of the squad. Brown a good fullback but way too slow for the wing and I'm not sold on Alex Goode at all. He seems to get great reviews but I'd struggle to remember a single good thing he's ever done for England.

Good pack but the backline looks very toothless, especially with Farrell trying to move a backline.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

domhnallj wrote:
I imagine the conversation would revolve around how much creatine you can consume in one sitting.
Either that or arrangements for their next trip to the disciplinary hearing
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Donny B. wrote:Been hearing great things about this Launchbury guy but haven't really seen him play.
Saw him play 6 for Wasps a couple of years ago when he was about 5 or so.

Bit of an Ian Henderson. Kid's head perched on top of a big tough bastid's body.