Ireland Under-20s squad?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland Under-20s squad?

Post by blockhead »

This may sound a bit daft to some of you but the 100m is an endurance sprint. I would much rather see their comparative times over 60m. Much more applicable to the game of rugby.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I wouldn't even say 60m, to be honest. Not often a 60m flat sprint is required. A lot of the functional sprints done by the pro teams are timed over 10m and 30m. I don't know who holds the records now but Wally held them for a long time in the Irish camp.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ceemec wrote:If he manages to maintain his current speed and bulk up then he'll be a serious weapon. That sort of speed simply isn't found in this part of the world. If he can combine it will elusiveness, he's going to be a winner. Jordan Williams for Wales has really impressed me with his broken field running.

Great little video showcasing his talents from this year's tournament here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbKu534J6QU
Meh, just another Andrew Conway, build up their hopes and then will f**k off to the Ospreys... :wink:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ceemec wrote:I wouldn't even say 60m, to be honest. Not often a 60m flat sprint is required. A lot of the functional sprints done by the pro teams are timed over 10m and 30m. I don't know who holds the records now but Wally held them for a long time in the Irish camp.
Wasn't Thomas O'Leary the fastest player in the Irish squad at one stage?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ceemec wrote:I wouldn't even say 60m, to be honest. Not often a 60m flat sprint is required. A lot of the functional sprints done by the pro teams are timed over 10m and 30m. I don't know who holds the records now but Wally held them for a long time in the Irish camp.
I'd go for 40 yards and use the fact that there's a huge amount of data from American sports on those times.
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

40 yards is about 35M
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Strong team, shame there's no coverage again.

The Ireland Under-20 team, sponsored by PwC, to face Australia in Sunday's 7th-8th place play-off at the IRB Junior World Championship has been named.
Head coach Mike Ruddock has made four personnel changes to the team for Ireland's final match of the Junior World Championship in France.
Adam Byrne returns on the right wing in place of Darren Sweetnam with Rory Scholes retaining the full-back berth.

The rest of the back-line - marshalled by captain Luke McGrath and Steve Crosbie - is unchanged as Alex Wootton, a late call-up for the injured Tom Daly, prepares for his second successive start on the left wing.

Darragh Leader and Peter Dooley both miss out through injury with the latter's place at loosehead prop going to Edward Byrne, the twin brother of starting hooker Bryan Byrne.

Gavin Thornbury comes in for Sean McCarthy in the second row and Daniel Leavy has recovered from injury to line out at blindside flanker, the selected back row seeing Conor Joyce revert to the number 8 position.

This is Ireland's second encounter of the tournament with Australia. Ruddock's charges opened their Pool B campaign with a memorable 19-15 win over the Junior Wallabies and they will be looking to repeat that result to claim seventh place overall.

There are nine players in Sunday's team who started the pool opener against the Australians. Wootton is the only personnel change in the back-line - although Scholes was on the wing that day and current centre Rory Scannell was positioned at full-back.

There is a completely new front row in the Byrne brothers and Christopher Taylor, while lock Thornbury and flanker Leavy are the other new inclusions.

IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v Australia Under-20s, 2013 IRB Junior World Championship 7th-8th Place Play-Off, Stade Henri Desgrange, La Roche-sur-Yon, Sunday, June 23, kick-off 3pm local time/2pm Irish time):

15 - Rory Scholes (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster)
14 - Adam Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
13 - Thomas Farrell (Lansdowne/Leinster)
12 - Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster)
11 - Alex Wootton (Northampton Saints/Exile)
10 - Steve Crosbie (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
9 - Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
1 - Edward Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
2 - Bryan Byrne (UCD/Leinster)
3 - Christopher Taylor (Malone/Ulster)
4 - Gavin Thornbury (UCD/Leinster)
5 - John Donnan (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
6 - Daniel Leavy (UCD/Leinster)
7 - Josh van der Flier (UCD/Leinster)
8 - Conor Joyce (Malone/Ulster)

Replacements:

16 - George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons/Exile)
17 - Ryan Furniss (Worcester Warriors/Exile)
18 - Adam Boland (Lansdowne/Connacht)
19 - Sean McCarthy (Shannon/Munster)
20 - Peadar Timmins (UCD/Leinster)
21 - David Shanahan (Clontarf/Leinster)
22 - Mark Roche (Lansdowne/Connacht)
23 - David Panter (Corinthians/Connacht)
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Any link to updates from this match? Can never find anything on that poxy IRB site. :evil:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

http://www.irb.com/jwc/matches/match=13961/index.html

Found it. 3-0 to Aus

Thornbury off already and Scannell takes up where he left on against France by missing penalty kicks. :(
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Holy f**k. 20-0 down now.
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

New Zealand doing well in the other match
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Spoke too soon.

Intercept try for SA. Scores level now.

Comeback on for Ireland too .... hopefully. 11 points on the board now
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

23-17 now. Still in it. Does anyone know how long is left?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Lamb of BOD wrote:23-17 now. Still in it. Does anyone know how long is left?
Finished 28-17. At least they made some sort of a game of it in the second half.

Some comback from South Africa. Back from 21-0 down to win 41-34
Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Post by Lamb of BOD »

The South African number 12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg impressed me in that side. Lovely open field runner, well balanced, good passer. Looked to tackle low, particularly when sizing up big opposition forwards. He plays with the Bulls, it seems. They could have a star on their books with this lad.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Fantastic try from the Welsh there.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

With all games now played the final rankings and the pool draw for next year are below
1 england
2 wales
3 south africa
4 new zealand
5 france
6 argentina
7 australia
8 ireland
9 samoa
10 scotland
11 fiji
12 usa
world trophy
1 italy

england. argentina, australia, italy
wales, france, ireland, fiji
south africa, new zealand, samoa, scotland
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

ormond lad wrote:With all games now played the final rankings and the pool draw for next year are below
1 england
2 wales
3 south africa
4 new zealand
5 france
6 argentina
7 australia
8 ireland
9 samoa
10 scotland
11 fiji
12 usa
world trophy
1 italy

england. argentina, australia, italy
wales, france, ireland, fiji
south africa, new zealand, samoa, scotland
Pity after a great start to the tournament. We finished where people outside of Ireland would have picked us to finish. Outsiders will say we played to form. Personally thought we were good enough to finish ahead of Agentina & France but it wasn't to be!
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

England too big and strong for wales in the end, their bench wore us down and hats of to them they were the better side . Great tournament for us though and look forward to playing you in the next one, both sides will feel they can win that group
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

munster#1 wrote:I await the surprise, i am not saying that there are no players faster than that, but it would be a very very small number, and i doubt any of the players you have listed could run sub 11 sec using correct timing equipment, most of the times being thrown around about how fast a rugby player can run is based on hand timing, which is fair inaccurate.
It is a good start to have some speed but he will lose some of it with a changed training regime. Also 11 for the 100 is not that quick. It is a very good base for a young sprinter but if he was going to have a future in athletics he would need to be comfortable under 11 already.

However I will happily welcome any bit of speed and maybe he can add some speed work in to the other backs training sessions.