BOD/Lions

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

thepunter
Bookworm

BOD/Lions

Post by thepunter »

Trying to get a general feel on opinions for something folks - take off your Leinster/ireland hats for a second and and riddle me this -

In your view does BOD make the Lions squad this year once he's injury free, with Gatland at the helm?
dropkickrugby.com/forum, Us lot bet on rugby
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: BOD/Lions

Post by johng »

thepunter wrote:Trying to get a general feel on opinions for something folks - take off your Leinster/ireland hats for a second and and riddle me this -

In your view does BOD make the Lions squad this year once he's injury free, with Gatland at the helm?
That's the dream anyway... Let's see what kind of season he has first.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

On current form no.

However, Jamie Roberts would probably beg for him to be included.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Must admit that I think not but that I don't really care that much.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He's a definite for me. The way he lifts teams is just incredible. I can't see any of the other candidates being better than him on the tour. Davies and Tuilagi are excellent players but Bod is the guy I'd want in my team.

He was dreadful on Saturday but I doubt that'll happen again any time soon.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I should also say that whilst I would take him and also start him in the test team, I would absolutely hate for him to travel but not be a starter.
thepunter
Bookworm

Post by thepunter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He's a definite for me. The way he lifts teams is just incredible. I can't see any of the other candidates being better than him on the tour. Davies and Tuilagi are excellent players but Bod is the guy I'd want in my team.

He was dreadful on Saturday but I doubt that'll happen again any time soon.
These are pretty much my thoughts. I cant see anyone else having the leadership ability and all round recognition and respect from all of the countries, hence why I think he'll be captain maybe.

How is his relationship with Gatland anyone? It's something I never pad attention to/can't remember from all those years ago.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Gattie's biggest problem with Welsh backline was identical centres ie bosh merchants, which is why he was always so desperate for Henson to be given more chances so
Roberts a shoe in, beyond him Davies and Tuilagi are identical style players and Scotland have no centres so even if he wants to grind Australia into the ground with 2 huge centres BOD is on the plane at the very least
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I think he has to take him with the squad. Team is a tougher call but it's a long way away. I think he'll make it.
thepunter
Bookworm

Post by thepunter »

so im hearing alot of my own thoughts echoed here. And my logical conclusion is that he has a great chance of getting the captaincy of the squad if he goes. Warburton the overwhelming favourite but can't see it with tipuric contesting his spot in the autumn and 6 nations, and Pauly is carrying alot of injuries and very little rugby (for now). Thoughts on the captaincy?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Coach and Captain from the same country is quite rare in modern times
I have Bumbleflex
thepunter
Bookworm

Post by thepunter »

Dave Cahill wrote:Coach and Captain from the same country is quite rare in modern times
cracking point Dave, never thought of that
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

thepunter wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Coach and Captain from the same country is quite rare in modern times
Ah but it's Wales lads and they do have a bit of a knack at having a whole lot of their way with the Lions.

As for BOD if he's fit he's got to go, there's no one that comes close to him in the 13 channel from any of the other three countries and he always performs against the Aussies.

(Other oldies that I'd take on tour are Hines and possibly Shaw)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was thinking more about this on my way home from work.

Assuming he's picked and assuming that one or both of Davies and Tulagi are also picked...picture that first Lions training session...do you think either of them would get the better of him? I don't!
thepunter
Bookworm

Post by thepunter »

In yeer opinion, if he goes is he captain lads? I reckon he goes if fit for sure
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

It's between him and Warburton and maybe O'Connell
Only Scottish players with a chance of making the test side are Gray and Visser and they arent captains
Robshaw won't make test side and no other English leadership candidates
No captaincy candidates in Welsh backline and cant see Alan Wyn Jones getting it ahead of Warburton if Gatty is picking
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

thepunter wrote:
It's a good point but it'd hardly be controversial if he went with Warburton as captain. Great player and an inspirational player for the Welsh. He went up hugely in my estimation with the genuine grace he conducted himself in after the WC SF last year.

BTW, if he's fit, BO'D is a shoe in for the plane and, possibly, the test team.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
thepunter
Bookworm

Post by thepunter »

Cianostays wrote:
thepunter wrote:
It's a good point but it'd hardly be controversial if he went with Warburton as captain. Great player and an inspirational player for the Welsh. He went up hugely in my estimation with the genuine grace he conducted himself in after the WC SF last year.

BTW, if he's fit, BO'D is a shoe in for the plane and, possibly, the test team.
Warburton definitely a class act, but in playing terms been very quiet since the WC, and has Tipuric on his back who will get a start or two at least for Wals over the Autumn and 6 nations.

I think BOD has a great chance of captaincy.

When is the squad announced roughly ?
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

thepunter wrote:
When is the squad announced roughly ?
The day after it's announced gently.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I reckon Heaslip has an outside chance of the captaincy actually. While some disagree, I think he he is very likely to be the test number 8, and I think he would be an outstanding captain. He is also not very injury prone, which isn't something you can say for O'Connell, Warburton or O'Driscoll.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”