Michael Bent- Irish Q'd

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Mauler
Seán Cronin

Re: Michael Bent- Irish Q'd

Post by Mauler »

suisse wrote:Your identity is determined by the people around you (family, siblings etc) and how you were brought up to embrace your family's nationality. Basically, I don't want someone like Thomas Waldroum playing for Ireland. Ringing up his mother to determine if the granny was, in fact, born in the UK.
We've already had a situation like this with Brian Smith in the '90's when the SRU initally rejected him, (He was in Uni in England) the IRFU parachuted him straight into the starting XV despite having played against us for Australia in the 1987 RWC, and having never played a single game of rugby in Ireland (he played for Leicester). After the 1991 5N and just prior to that years RWC he ditched Ireland to head back to play Rugby League for Balmain Tigers under Alan Smith.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Mauler wrote:
suisse wrote:Your identity is determined by the people around you (family, siblings etc) and how you were brought up to embrace your family's nationality. Basically, I don't want someone like Thomas Waldroum playing for Ireland. Ringing up his mother to determine if the granny was, in fact, born in the UK.
We've already had a situation like this with Brian Smith in the '90's when the SRU initally rejected him, (He was in Uni in England) the IRFU parachuted him straight into the starting XV despite having played against us for Australia in the 1987 RWC, and having never played a single game of rugby in Ireland (he played for Leicester). After the 1991 5N and just prior to that years RWC he ditched Ireland to head back to play Rugby League for Balmain Tigers under Alan Smith.
But there was a good reason for him to go back to Alan Smith (s) Tigers.......allegedly. The clue is in the title of the thread.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Alan Jones
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote:Alan Jones
Mea culpa!

Alan Jones, Alan Smith, Alan Hughes, they all seem the same to me.
Bite and Belloq
Learner

Post by Bite and Belloq »

Marta was watching the game with me when she said, "You know, most of these sports are based on the idea of one group protecting its territory from invasion by another group." "Yeah," I said, trying not to laugh. Girls are funny.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Think a large element of Bent coming here was his career was stalled at provincial level, never mind all blacks, due to style of play from props they wanted at Hurricanes

IMO nationality can be a grey area in some cases but I wish Andrew sheridan and Doran Jones hadve stayed Irish :D

Wallabies hooker Stephen Moore said he wanted to come here to play for Ireland years ago as both his parents were from here, Connacht and Ulster were interested, but then suddenly Australia capped him off the bench in a couple of minor tests to tie him, even though he was second choice hooker at the then worst Australian super rugby side! Dont think he played again for Australia until he merited on form again. They did the same thing with Radike Samo (Fiji)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Offiah
Bookworm

Post by Offiah »

good article on Bent - link below:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sp ... y/7859195/

He flys out this Saturday and it seems Leinster want him to play against the sprays, with a view to Kidney having a look at him.

Bent was the only Taranaki forward to appear in every one of Taranaki's 13 first-class matches this season, with midfielder Jayden Hayward and utility back Kurt Baker the only other players to manage the feat.

His workrate, excellent scrum work and ball-carrying must put him close to being named Taranaki player of the year, although fellow prop Chris King would also be close to the title.

Unwanted by Hurricanes coach Mark Hammett for most of the Super Rugby season, Bent showed his potential by producing the best form of his career.

He repeatedly came in for praise from Tenderlink Taranaki coach Colin Cooper who paid tribute to the front rower after Saturday's match in Christchurch.

"He is an outstanding player and I think he had a great year for us," he said.

"He has improved his game, both defensively and on attack, because his scrummaging was always good.

"We asked him to improve his ball-carrying and I think he did that, so it's a real shame to lose him because he is still young. Hopefully he might come back."

Hopefully he can show all these skills for Leinster!!
The Overseer
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If he's another Fosi or Gomez I'll cry
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Nice to see that appetite for rugby when he could be stepping back. Hopefully he's also patient.
Offiah
Bookworm

Post by Offiah »

In my view we have 3 very good inexperienced options at tight head - Hagan (more experience), Moore and Furlong. McGrath also seems to be seen as a tight head option. All will defo be good options over the next few years. However I wouldn't trust any in a Heineken cup game to replace Ross. My fingers are crossed that Bent can do this - reports seem to suggest that he could do a job late in the 2nd half for us!
The Overseer
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Well Hagan isn't even at the races imo. I'd rather see this IQ fella given a run and hopefully be up to the standard, or parachute someone like Furlong in to the bench spot for P12 games and get him on the field for 20 / 30 minute cameo's a half dozen times this season, see how he gets on and blood him a little bit.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I think the only miscalculation that Bent has made is that he should have gone to Munster.
five matches with them and he'd be in line for a cap, especially as he's a TH.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

nah, only good scrummaging tighthead at Munster since the claw was a saffer they signed from Ulster, and he still gets mangled on ocassion, Leinster will suit him better :)
1. Ross 2. Bent 3. Moore with Hagan to loaned before release next summer
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

[quote="simonokeeffe"]nah, only good scrummaging tighthead at Munster since the claw was a saffer they signed from Ulster, and he still gets mangled on ocassion, Leinster will suit him better :)
1. Ross 2. Bent 3. Moore with Hagan to loaned before release next summer[/quote

Dont forget Jack O'Connell or is he classified as a LH these days.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote:I think the only miscalculation that Bent has made is that he should have gone to Munster.
five matches with them and he'd be in line for a cap, especially as he's a TH.
Nothing to stop them signing him when his contract expires.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

simonokeeffe wrote:If he's another Fosi or Gomez I'll cry
Or Craig Rhyland
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the spoofer wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:nah, only good scrummaging tighthead at Munster since the claw was a saffer they signed from Ulster, and he still gets mangled on ocassion, Leinster will suit him better :)

Jack O'Connell firmly a loosehead these days
as an aside Martin Moore (5'11 and 19st) seems to be getting forgotten about with hype over Furlong, he was unlucky to miss a lot of last season with injury but he was a phenomenal scrummager for Ir u20s against much bigger packs and front rows including this Vunipola lad England have just called up to senior panel
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

TerenureJim wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
So would you say the same of the Easterbuy's, Simon Geoghan, Keith Gleeson, Issac Boss?
:cry: This is the most disturbing thing I've ever read. I always thought Simon Geoghan was 100% Connacht born and bred and just got a move to England as he was so good...

The Maitland signing is weird, I was sure the Maori was NZ "A" and always has been. I've certainly never heard of New Zealand "A" before, just heard of the Maori, in the same way you'd hear of the Saxons or Wolfhounds, they were just the first ones to give it a name I thought...

To be honest, I couldn't care less where players come from, as long as they are or become Irish qualified, are really good and play for Leinster. Strauss is now as Irish to me as freckles, bad debt and domestic violence. A few more like him would be nice.

Regarding McCaw, I think if he wanted to come to Europe, he'd be virtually impossible to get, as Toulon and Racing Metro and all the sugar daddies would pay whatever it takes to get him - literally the Diego Maradona of our day, he'll be remembered in 40 years as one of the greatest ever. Plus, it's in one of our strongest areas, back row, both in terms of quality and depth.
I'm happy to stand corrected on Geoghan but I think he was born in England.
Regarding Simon Geoghegan, Wikipedia wrote:Simon Patrick Geoghegan (born 1 September 1968 in Knebworth) is a former Irish rugby union footballer who played at wing in England for London Irish and Bath and in the Irish Inter-provincial Championships for Connacht Rugby and the Exiles. Simon finished his rugby career at Bath Rugby where a debilitating toe injury limited his appearances and finally ended his playing career.

Geoghegan qualified for Ireland through his Galway born father. His grandfather played in the 1929 All-Ireland Hurling Final.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Offiah
Bookworm

Post by Offiah »

simonokeeffe wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:nah, only good scrummaging tighthead at Munster since the claw was a saffer they signed from Ulster, and he still gets mangled on ocassion, Leinster will suit him better :)

Jack O'Connell firmly a loosehead these days
as an aside Martin Moore (5'11 and 19st) seems to be getting forgotten about with hype over Furlong, he was unlucky to miss a lot of last season with injury but he was a phenomenal scrummager for Ir u20s against much bigger packs and front rows including this Vunipola lad England have just called up to senior panel
I like the look of Moore - traditional tight head shape and size. Looks the real deal. Would like to see more of him to evaluate his work around the field.
The Overseer
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Read somewhere during the week that he's arriving today. Cead mile failte at that rate.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP