Now that the HC is over (for the moment)..

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Now that the HC is over (for the moment)..

Post by Golf Man »

Obviously a hugely successful weekend for all four provinces, and with the three quarter finalists only losing two games out of eighteen in the group games, we are obviously in rude health provinically. Where does this leave the 6N - and what if any effect will it have on selection etc

Front Row: Healy/Best/Ross - easy decision here although I'm concerned by Ross at the moment
Second Row: POC/Ryan - POC was obvious and is in great form. Ryan made the decision easy at the weekend - although playing 6 he was immense again - playing far and away the best I've evr seen him play
Back Row: Ferris/SOB/Heaslip - Again easy decision but there are still doubts over SOB's form and ability at 7
Half Backs: Murray/Sexton - Murray had another good game at the weekend and this partnership must be allowed time to gel
Centres: Darcy/Earls - Earls had his best game at 13 for a long time at the weekend and is definitely ahead of the other options. 12 is the most difficult choice on the team - in some ways I'd prefer McFadden but he has played very little there of late - he is solid but unexceptional at 13 and on the wing, 12 should be his best position but he is not getting any game time there - Schmidt presumably has a reason for this.
Back 3: Trimble/Bowe/Kearney - Bowe is not impressing hugely but has been one of our best players in the last couple of years - the other two are shoo-ins

Bench - Cronin, Court, Tuohy, POM, Reddan, ROG, McFadden

Couple of debatable ones heres - Cronin, Court and ROG are no brainers. 2nd row replacement is either Tuohy/DOC/Toner/McCarthy - I think Tuohy offers the best impact and has versatility. In the back row its between Henry and POM, I don't think Jennings should be considered against these two. Both offer versatility - just think that POM has stood out more this year. Reddan offers more off the bench than Boss. McFadden/Fitz should be the selection query - I think McFadden is the better bench option, having played 12,13 and 14 successfully this year

Wolfhounds
Archer/Varley/Wilkinson
McCarthy/Tuohy
Muldoon/Henry/Ruddock
Boss/Keatley
Spence/O'Malley
Fitz/Hurley/Duffy
Bench - Loughney, Sherry, Toner, McLaughlin, O'Leary, Madigan, Kearney
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Re: Now that the HC is over (for the moment)..

Post by Leinsterman »

I'd be happy enough with that squad.
Earls was good on Saturday but I still doubt his ability at 13.
Might be Bowe at 13 and Earls on the wing.
Bowe was tried at 13 in the get-together in Carton House.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Leinsterman wrote:I'd be happy enough with that squad.
Possibly and not too bothered if it is - I think its a better mix with Earls at 13 and Bowe on the wing. Earls is better on the wing (as is Bowe) but he a lot better at 13 than he is given credit for
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Golf Man wrote: Bench - Cronin, Court, Tuohy, POM, Reddan, ROG, McFadden

In the back row its between Henry and POM, I don't think Jennings should be considered against these two.
Not sure any if the six ' young ' players will be promoted to the full squad - as far as I read they are being included in the training squad for experience only - had hoped it might be Ruddock who would be promoted but more likely to be Henry
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Golf Man wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:I'd be happy enough with that squad.
Possibly and not too bothered if it is - I think its a better mix with Earls at 13 and Bowe on the wing. Earls is better on the wing (as is Bowe) but he a lot better at 13 than he is given credit for
He's not. He simply does not have the head for 13, and while he was ok on Saturday, I’m genuinely struggling to think of another game where he was anything better than 6/10 at 13. He’s a top class wing, and maybe even better again at 15 but there is too much thinking and too much leadership required at outside centre and I think that makes him a bit jittery. Let him finish and let him counter from the back 3, let someone with the awareness, game understanding & power such as Cave, Bowe, McFadden, Griffen, O’Malley take up the BOD mantle.

POM over Henry for that bench-spot, what POM has done in his debut HEC season is unbelievable. Henry has had a few cameos at international level and not looked up to it.
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Xanthippe wrote:
Golf Man wrote: Bench - Cronin, Court, Tuohy, POM, Reddan, ROG, McFadden

In the back row its between Henry and POM, I don't think Jennings should be considered against these two.
Not sure any if the six ' young ' players will be promoted to the full squad - as far as I read they are being included in the training squad for experience only - had hoped it might be Ruddock who would be promoted but more likely to be Henry
Don't think that meant anything really - none of the DK announcements do. I'd be shocked if the likes of Ruddock, Muldoon are ahead of POM in terms of that bench spot.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Earls was excellent in 2009 when he broke through first at centre, and while its not his best position, he deserves a chance. He makes a few defensive errors and its been held against him - his defence has improved no end, his break is still the best of all the options, and his hands have impropved. I would have had Cave ahead of him at 13, and possibly Bowe. McFadden is not a 13, will offer very little in attack, O'Malley is fine but still too small, Griffin , possibly in time. Earls is easily ahead of these options

On POM - the 6 "additional"players is weird - POM stood out a mile in that bunch, because he has impressed so much this year. The bench spot is between Jennings, Henry, Ruddock, McLaughlin, Muldoon and POM - I would have thought that POM is ahead of all of them this season in terms of form and way ahead in terms of potential - he is also as versatile if not more so than pretty much all of the other options
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Guess we'll get four games of slow ball from Murray, while he's been praised to the eyeballs for the odd good run. Then like last season we might get one game of Reddan and Sexton and we'll finally play well and win. But then at the press conference Kidney will take out a Men In Black device to make the press forget it was Reddan and Sexton playing and we'll go back to the same old thing that didn't work before.

Can't wait!
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

Donny B. wrote:Guess we'll get four games of slow ball from Murray, while he's been praised to the eyeballs for the odd good run. Then like last season we might get one game of Reddan and Sexton and we'll finally play well and win. But then at the press conference Kidney will take out a Men In Black device to make the press forget it was Reddan and Sexton playing and we'll go back to the same old thing that didn't work before.

Can't wait!

you're forgetting rog

he has to save us
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

We'll win all our matches up to the last one and then Dekko will change the starting half backs, to prove once again that history does repeat itself.
Hell Leamy might even make it back in time to make the bench. In which case Dekko's cup will runneth over!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

berniemac67 wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Guess we'll get four games of slow ball from Murray, while he's been praised to the eyeballs for the odd good run. Then like last season we might get one game of Reddan and Sexton and we'll finally play well and win. But then at the press conference Kidney will take out a Men In Black device to make the press forget it was Reddan and Sexton playing and we'll go back to the same old thing that didn't work before.

Can't wait!

you're forgetting rog

he has to save us
I've promised myself I'm not going to get upset anymore about Deccie's crappy selections. Just let them happen and look forward to getting back to some exciting rugby in April when the HC is back.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Donny B. wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:

Can't wait!

you're forgetting rog

he has to save us
I've promised myself I'm not going to get upset anymore about Deccie's crappy selections. Just let them happen and look forward to getting back to some exciting rugby in April when the HC is back.
I know what you mean, I was trying to describe the same to a friend as- (as a hetro-type) having a grown man breathing down the back of your neck! It doesn't actually cause any harm but nothing good can come from it happening either!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Eh, notwithstanding the frustration of the top 50 players last week (which really meant nothing) - there hasn't been a selection howler by DK since Ross was left out in November '10, and TOL's presence in last year's 6N lasting far too long. I wouldn't have any major issue with the half-back calls since then.

As jezzer highlights on another thread, the game-plan and style of play is by far and away the main issue - we need to see progress on this front. However, I don't understand why people have lost interest in the international team because of murray over reddan or rog over sexton.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Comer Toes wrote:Eh, notwithstanding the frustration of the top 50 players last week (which really meant nothing) - there hasn't been a selection howler by DK since Ross was left out in November '10, and TOL's presence in last year's 6N lasting far too long. I wouldn't have any major issue with the half-back calls since then.

As jezzer highlights on another thread, the game-plan and style of play is by far and away the main issue - we need to see progress on this front. However, I don't understand why people have lost interest in the international team because of murray over reddan or rog over sexton.
Would never loose interest in the national team, its simply a case of having to make the most out of what we're given.
ROG v Wales is right up Howler Ave. on my map!!
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Comer Toes wrote:Eh, notwithstanding the frustration of the top 50 players last week (which really meant nothing) - there hasn't been a selection howler by DK since Ross was left out in November '10, and TOL's presence in last year's 6N lasting far too long. I wouldn't have any major issue with the half-back calls since then.

Read your own post very carefully. The answer to your lack of understanding is in there.
Regardless of any differences of opinion we might have on the players you mention, ask yourself these questions.
Style (Including game plan):- As in kicking, running, 10 man, expansive and so on!
What style does picking Murray/Rog represent?
What style does picking Reddan/Sexton represent?
What style does picking Murray/Sexton represent?
What style does picking Reddan/Rog represent?
What style does picking Boss/Rog represent?
What style does picking Boss/Sexton represent?

Now what style do you want us to play? Possibly in the context of home and away and opposition, if you want to give a complete, rather than a compromise answer.
Your answers should indicate who you would have at half back, for each of the 6Ns games
Dekko's choices will indicate the style he wants to play.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Oldschool wrote:

Read your own post very carefully. The answer to your lack of understanding is in there.
Regardless of any differences of opinion we might have on the players you mention, ask yourself these questions.
Style (Including game plan):- As in kicking, running, 10 man, expansive and so on!

Now what style do you want us to play? Possibly in the context of home and away and opposition, if you want to give a complete, rather than a compromise answer.
Your answers should indicate who you would have at half back, for each of the 6Ns games
The scrum half selections have arguably been more contentious than the out half selections over the last year

TOL was given too much time and Murray came from nowhere to start. In fairness a lot of this is down to Reddan being inconsistent and prone to errors, and Boss never convincing at international level.

ROG/Sexton I thought was being managed pretty well, ensuring that we had really good impact from the bench. The Quarter Final was the big call and in knock out rugby going with a guy whose kicking form had been atrocious was never going to happen

I think everybody is going to pick Sexton and hope that he reproduces his Leinster form - it is in his hands - no blaming of scrum halves, coaches etc - he has to lead the team and has to kick well

I'm presuming you are going to say Reddan should be picked with him - it should definitely be Murray. People seem to think he is slow to the breakdown, slow to make decisions etc. I honestly don't know if these people actually watch him playing or just repeat stuff that they've heard or seen posted. Look at the northampton game - sure he slows it down at times, but this is when the forwards are taking it on and setting themselves - its not pretty ut its what he should be doing in that circumstance, in a team playing in that way (which Munster have for most of the season). He can get to the breakdown early and pass it out, but there won't be anyone there to recieve as the game plan is to play it through the forwards. When Munster started playing it in the backs in the second half Murray was getting to teh breakdown and getting the ball away quickly - he can easily play both styles

While Reddan has a break he doesn't offer a huge threat in the tight as he is too small - his breaks tend to be on the back of planned moves from a scrum/overlap etc, Murray can do this and offers a threat in tight situations due to his physicality.

If you play Murray/Sexton you have more options - the defence can't stray too much from Murray because he can break through a ruck - if its passed this gives Sexton plenty of time to take his options. People seem convinced that Murray can't play a more expansive game, but there is no evidence whatsoever of this - in the same way while ROG is a better tactical kicker than Sexton, thats not to say that Sexton can't do it- he really can.

While I want to see a more open game plan and the attacking game in general needs to be improved hugely - an all out running game isn't going to work either - we need to be hard as nails to beat as well (if that means Sexton kicking more because of teh particulra demands for that then so be it)

It has to be Murray/Sexton - they offer us the best capability to achieve the above and have huge potential as a partnership. They should also get Wales/France and Italy games as a minimum - and personally I'd prefer to see them get teh 5 games together
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Golf Man wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

The scrum half selections have arguably been more contentious than the out half selections over the last year

TOL was given too much time and Murray came from nowhere to start. In fairness a lot of this is down to Reddan being inconsistent and prone to errors, and Boss never convincing at international level.

ROG/Sexton I thought was being managed pretty well, ensuring that we had really good impact from the bench. The Quarter Final was the big call and in knock out rugby going with a guy whose kicking form had been atrocious was never going to happen

I think everybody is going to pick Sexton and hope that he reproduces his Leinster form - it is in his hands - no blaming of scrum halves, coaches etc - he has to lead the team and has to kick well

I'm presuming you are going to say Reddan should be picked with him - it should definitely be Murray. People seem to think he is slow to the breakdown, slow to make decisions etc. I honestly don't know if these people actually watch him playing or just repeat stuff that they've heard or seen posted. Look at the northampton game - sure he slows it down at times, but this is when the forwards are taking it on and setting themselves - its not pretty ut its what he should be doing in that circumstance, in a team playing in that way (which Munster have for most of the season). He can get to the breakdown early and pass it out, but there won't be anyone there to recieve as the game plan is to play it through the forwards. When Munster started playing it in the backs in the second half Murray was getting to teh breakdown and getting the ball away quickly - he can easily play both styles

While Reddan has a break he doesn't offer a huge threat in the tight as he is too small - his breaks tend to be on the back of planned moves from a scrum/overlap etc, Murray can do this and offers a threat in tight situations due to his physicality.

If you play Murray/Sexton you have more options - the defence can't stray too much from Murray because he can break through a ruck - if its passed this gives Sexton plenty of time to take his options. People seem convinced that Murray can't play a more expansive game, but there is no evidence whatsoever of this - in the same way while ROG is a better tactical kicker than Sexton, thats not to say that Sexton can't do it- he really can.

While I want to see a more open game plan and the attacking game in general needs to be improved hugely - an all out running game isn't going to work either - we need to be hard as nails to beat as well (if that means Sexton kicking more because of teh particulra demands for that then so be it)

It has to be Murray/Sexton - they offer us the best capability to achieve the above and have huge potential as a partnership. They should also get Wales/France and Italy games as a minimum - and personally I'd prefer to see them get teh 5 games together
A well reasoned response TBH and not too biased either TBF. (He did have the option of starting McF to cover kicking and keep Sexton, at OH, but no matter)
However, I think there is one thing at least that you need to update. Your view of Boss is way out of date.
Since Boss has come under Joe's wing at Leinster, he has become a better player. I think, that while Reddan still has his sponsors, most Leinster fans would favour Boss. There is also an issue of horses for courses and tactical options within a game.
In making that comment, I'm beginning to wonder is this is Dekko's real problem. Having dished a player out of his thinking, does he ever consider the possibility that the player might actually improve and be worth reconsidering. The converse of this, which definitely seems to be the case is that once Dekko rates a player, he doesn't seem to be able conceive of a situation whereby the player is no longer up to it.
I'll give you two examples DOC/Ryan and just to keep a balance Luke/? in last seasons 6N, although he did seem to get over that fixation a lot quicker than his fixation on DOC.
Given that I think Dekko will stick with Murray, I personally would far prefer Boss on the bench instead of Murray.
Murray needs to stop posing and start playing. It's not just posters on here, who criticise his slow play, I've heard sky commentary doing so and your own Quinlan also.
There is a problem and denial is not the way to fix it. Otherwise Murray will never become the player we would all like him to become.
To finish, if Dekko picks Earls at 13 and Murray at 9 then I agree you that it should be for the whole series.
What I don't expect to happen, but what should happen is that Dekko will then consider the results of those experiences and make hard nosed decisions about both players. In Earls case is he really a 13 or just a winger. In Murray's case, yes he's ready or perhaps another few games in the HEC and on the bench might be more beneficial. It's certainly too soon to throw in the towel on him.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Golf Man wrote:
Oldschool wrote:

ROG/Sexton I thought was being managed pretty well, ensuring that we had really good impact from the bench. The Quarter Final was the big call and in knock out rugby going with (a)a guy whose kicking form had been atrocious was never going to happen

If you play Murray/Sexton you have more options - the defence can't stray too much from Murray because he can break through a ruck - if (b)its passed this gives Sexton plenty of time to take his options. People seem convinced that Murray can't play a more expansive game, but there is no evidence whatsoever of this - in the same way while ROG is a better tactical kicker than Sexton, thats not to say that Sexton can't do it- he really can.

(a) so play your supposed 'best' kicking outhalf and get him to play a running game was the way to win the QF
(b) 'plenty of time' ? thats the whole point about Murray - he doesnt give an OH that split second extra time needed.
Any coach worth his salt will decide who his no 1 in any position is, and who's his backup. This 'we've 2 great outhalves, ... ETC BS ' does neither any favours in mentally preparing for games.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Golf Man wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
Comer Toes wrote: Some stuff
More stuff
Lots and lots of stuff
Nice discussion, for me I would have Reddan & Murray in the 22, if we're worried about Murray been slightly ponderous at the base than Reddan is the game changer- Boss wouldn't work.
Murray is the future at SH.
Regardless of who is picked at 9 & 10, I hope the policy of replacing the entire half-back paring as one will change.
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Yes but the half-backs dictate the style of play. You can want to play a fast expansive game all you want but if you pick half-backs who are too slow to implement it, it simply won't work. After suffering with slow ball from O'Leary for so long we finally got Reddan and Sexton together for the England game and finally we saw what we're capable of with some decent quick ball. We got an even better performance against Australia with the same half back pairing but Kidney just couldn't help himself and had to chuck them both out and it was back to slow ball. Got away with it against Italy when they tired in the second half but paid the price against Wales.

All the early indications are we're going to see the same poorly thought-out selections again from Kidney and a Irish team which should be favourites for the Six Nations based on HC performance will be brought back down to earth with a thud.

Of course I'll continue to support Ireland, but just don't ask me to get excited about it while Kidney is still in charge. Hopefully we'll do well enough for him to get the Lions job and take him off our hands.