RWC 2023: Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Re: RWC 2023: Ireland

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Rumour mill starting already ahead of rwc.

The new rule is stupid should have been limited to tier 1 to tier 2 transfers.

https://extra.ie/2022/09/30/sport/rugby ... y-scotland

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BOD is GOD!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That article seems to just be based on the journalist knowing Cooney is eligible for Scotland? They should be all over him though.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Really great to see Luke Marshall back in harness and doing things of which only the best Irish centres are capable. When you go through the current candidates, we are now building the sort of depth we used dream about.

Henshaw, Ringrose, Bundee, Marshall, Hume, Frawley, Hawkshaw, Farrell, Moore, Osbourne and McCloskey is certainly a very reasonable list of candidates.

Full-back, Out-half, Tight-head are still my main concerns for national depth but barring identifying J10's line of succession, I think we'll have acceptable depth at 15 and 3 come World Cup time, subject only to some of them getting relevant game experience in the coming months.

15. Keenan, O'Brien, Lowry, Carbury, Campbell, Addison, Fitzgerald.

3. Furlong, Bealham, Moore, O'Toole, Clarkson, Abeladze, Salanoa
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Forecast.
Jason Jenkins will be be selected for the Boks RWC squad and will play against us in the pool game.
Hopefully before that he'll win a HCC medal.
Redemption in advance.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Not specifically linked to Ireland, but Rugby World Cup 2023 have just announced that they have sacked their CEO (M. Claude Atcher) following investigation of allegations in LEquipe newspaper of his "management by terror" style.

This could spill over onto the President of French Rugby (FFR) M. Bernard Laporte who played a key role in his appointment.

https://www.the42.ie/claude-atcher-2023 ... 0-Oct2022/
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 11th, 2022, 2:35 pm Not specifically linked to Ireland, but Rugby World Cup 2023 have just announced that they have sacked their CEO (M. Claude Atcher) following investigation of allegations in LEquipe newspaper of his "management by terror" style.

This could spill over onto the President of French Rugby (FFR) M. Bernard Laporte who played a key role in his appointment.

This story is all over French media and they seem sure there's more to follow.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2022/11/07/to ... for-rwc23/

Tours selected as Ireland team base for 2023

Hopefully a better base camp than 2007
Anyone But New Zealand
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 11th, 2022, 2:35 pm Not specifically linked to Ireland, but Rugby World Cup 2023 have just announced that they have sacked their CEO (M. Claude Atcher) following investigation of allegations in LEquipe newspaper of his "management by terror" style.

This story is still running hard in France, fronted by L'Equipe. Given their track record of following sports irregularities - think cycling & Olympic drug taking in particular - this story isn't going away and someone will take the heat:

https://www.the42.ie/france-2023-invest ... 1-Nov2022/
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

As horrible as it sounds, the good guys finish last when it comes to these things

Ireland got comprehensively out hustled. There's scarcely ever been a big tournament without some shenanigans coming to light before, during or afterwards.

It'd be great if it were different but money always seems to talk when tournaments are handed out.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

jezzer wrote: November 10th, 2022, 1:16 pm As horrible as it sounds, the good guys finish last when it comes to these things

Ireland got comprehensively out hustled. There's scarcely ever been a big tournament without some shenanigans coming to light before, during or afterwards.

It'd be great if it were different but money always seems to talk when tournaments are handed out.
It can't sing and dance, and it, definitely, can't walk.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Something that has been said plenty of times but bears repeating; doing the draw so far out from the RWC is f%~king ridiculous.

Take Wales as today's example. They were in Band 1 for the draw - a top 4 ranked team. They're now 8th after holding off 9th placed Argentina at the weekend. Their overall win rate against the other Top 10 sides since the last RWC is 28%.

We all know they've a record of turning things around out of the blue for at least a short spell. But that's not the record of a top 4 team.

While I'm at it, England (ranked third) were also in Band 1 while France (ranked seventh) were in Band 2. That bears no resemblance to the picture we're seeing 10 months out.
Last edited by Twist on November 17th, 2022, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

As an Irish supporter I'd like to get rid of double points for the WC as well!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

RavenhillRaider wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:58 am Rumour mill starting already ahead of rwc.

I see The 42 also ran with this story yesterday https://www.the42.ie/john-cooney-switch ... 3-Nov2022/ but what I found most interesting was the comment section. I'm not sure how it came to be part of the story but about a week ago I started hearing 'whispers' that the reason Cooney wasn't picked for Ireland was because Johnny Sexton didn't like him!!! I dismissed the stories last week as ridiculous - what national coach would ever allow one of his players to determine which others could be part of the team. However, the story now seems to have grown legs and is referenced by more than one person in the comments.

Has anyone else heard these stories and do you think there is any scenario whereby a national coach would drop one player to keep another (even one as important as Sexton) happy?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Xanthippe wrote: December 1st, 2022, 2:00 pm
RavenhillRaider wrote: October 1st, 2022, 11:58 am Rumour mill starting already ahead of rwc.

I see The 42 also ran with this story yesterday https://www.the42.ie/john-cooney-switch ... 3-Nov2022/ but what I found most interesting was the comment section. I'm not sure how it came to be part of the story but about a week ago I started hearing 'whispers' that the reason Cooney wasn't picked for Ireland was because Johnny Sexton didn't like him!!! I dismissed the stories last week as ridiculous - what national coach would ever allow one of his players to determine which others could be part of the team. However, the story now seems to have grown legs and is referenced by more than one person in the comments.

Has anyone else heard these stories and do you think there is any scenario whereby a national coach would drop one player to keep another (even one as important as Sexton) happy?
I’ve only ever see that by the usual nutjobs down in Shelbyville… it’s a theory that just doesn’t carry water if you ask me
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Cooney has given an interview to the BBC stating publicly that he is open to playing for Scotland, but it will depend on his contract with Ulster.

I never heard of the JS bad relationship rumour before though.

Full interview will be broadcast tonight at 22.00 on BBC 2.

BOD is GOD!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

It's a rumour that's done the rounds on Ulster and Munster forums for a while. No idea if there's any truth to it. Sounds fairly ludicrous.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

On his first day as Leinster coach Joe Schmidt walked out on the training pitch where the players were doing a passing drill. Brian O'Driscoll, Irelands greatest player, dropped a poorly thrown pass. Schmidt, walking past him, said, "Great players catch those".

The idea that Joe Schmidt would allow a player, any player, dictate anything to him is beyond ridiculous.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: December 1st, 2022, 4:47 pm On his first day as Leinster coach Joe Schmidt walked out on the training pitch where the players were doing a passing drill. Brian O'Driscoll, Irelands greatest player, dropped a poorly thrown pass. Schmidt, walking past him, said, "Great players catch those".

The idea that Joe Schmidt would allow a player, any player, dictate anything to him is beyond ridiculous.
Well yes, but there has to be some reason why a player who does well for his province doesn't get picked often for his country. It can't be that they're not as good as many people think they are.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: December 1st, 2022, 6:21 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: December 1st, 2022, 4:47 pm On his first day as Leinster coach Joe Schmidt walked out on the training pitch where the players were doing a passing drill. Brian O'Driscoll, Irelands greatest player, dropped a poorly thrown pass. Schmidt, walking past him, said, "Great players catch those".

Well yes, but there has to be some reason why a player who does well for his province doesn't get picked often for his country. It can't be that they're not as good as many people think they are.
I don’t reckon a “but” fits in there at all. John Cooney is playing during Conor Murray‘s career which accounts for a lot and obviously doesn’t offer what either Joe Schmidt and/or Andy Farrell were looking for in a back up Scrum Half.

Conspiracy theories are not required here…
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

I thought it was Cooney that didn't want to play with Sexton rather than the other way around.

Not wanting to play with Sexton would limit ones opportunities as a scrum half in the Irish national set up.

Wasn't there an interview where he talked about how happy he was to arrive in Connacht and play with Jack Carty and that it was a better experience than playing with Sexton and that Sexton needed to mature as a person.