Ireland 2015

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

berniemac67
Mullet

Re: Rebuilding The International Team

Post by berniemac67 »

Oldschool wrote:The replacement process needs to be carefully managed. The older a player is the sooner he gets replaced.
The aim should be to have the changeover more or less complete and certainly well on the way in roughly two years.
This means the younger players have to be eased into the squad over the 2 year period.
We're talking about 12 new faces roughly. Some of the replacement already a work in progress.
Luke, Touhy, McGlaughlin, McCarthy perhaps.
Some positions need urgent action already. The hooker and Prop position for example.
Prop:
We have three functioning props right now, Healy, Ross and Court (And that's being optimistic).
We need another four/five for the WC and we need 2/3as a matter of urgency.
They are in the pipeline, but we need to start exposing them to international competition.
Hooker:
We have Best and Cronin, who is untested. We have Strauss and Sherry in the pipeline.
Second Row:
We have Touhy, McCarthy in the pipeline, with Nagle and Toner as other possibilities.
Back row:
Is probably OK, but we do need a couple of genuine 7s - The WC has proved this and we must adapt. Do we even have a pipeline?
Peter O'Mahoney has impressed for Munster. Dominic Ryan and Ruddock are other possibilities. What's the story with Faloon?
Scrum half:
Looks like a problem area in 4 years time. Murray is being touted as the heir apparent, but he needs competition for the position.
Out half:
Looks OK - Keatley and Madigan are already showing form. Keatley first and then Madigan need international exposure sooner rather than later, because this such a key position.
Centres:
D'Arcy's replacenment first and use Bod to bed him in. Trimble, McFadden and Spense need to be brought in asap.
Bod might be good for another two years and towards the end of that time he should get 50 minutes only as his replacement is introduced.
Bowe, McFadden and Cave are the main contenders.
Wingers:
Earls and Luke are fine, but Gilroy is looking like the real deal already and Hurley looks pretty capable too. Conway is another.
FB:
Kearney and who else - Actually the Connacht FB looks pretty useful.

Marginal Calls:- POC and Ross are two players that fall into this category. Great to have them, if they're OK in four years time, but there is a but.

It should be assumed, quite frankly that anybody posting on this topic is not calling for a slash and burn approach, without having to specifically say so.
It's more about where we should be in 4 years time, than the nitty gritty of how we get there.
A measured but identifiable timeline is required.
We must use our bench, with a strong bias towards giving the next generation their chance.

We also need to look at our coaching team. I think having foreign coaches in the setup is the right way to go.
Do we want to make more use of Greg Feek. Is/Should there be a role for Schmidt.

We need to think about the captaincy and when the changeover should take place.

And we need to look at the reason why we are not doing better in all international competitions.
Over the last 10 years we are the perennial under achievers. Why is this?

My heart wants to give the WC squad, in it's entirety one more shot at a GS. My head says, it's time to start to move on.
Thankfully Declan Kidney has to make that decision.

Great review of our situation.

My only problem is the last bit. If we want to perform at the RWC then progressively stronger 6N and AI performances become more important in 2014 and 2015. Going into the next RWC battle-hardened and on the back of a strong run of form and results would be immensely valuable. The seeds of doubt need to be sown in SH minds long before they arrive for the tournament proper (consider England in 2003 for example, they went and beat the SH teams in the SH before the RWC). Also, the confidence to beat our nearest and dearest also needs to arise form having done it repeatedly immediately before the tournament rather than the time before last. My concern is that a year's delay in beginning the transition reduces the likelihood of that happening if you presume that a team has to lose before it learns to win. I'd prefer a couple of lean years now with the prospect of rewards thereafter instead of a bonanza next year followed by a fallow period that includes the next RWC.

I'm not saying change for change's sake, but rather that change should be planned so as to ensure a strong run in 2014 and 2015 rather than a strong run from the second pool match onwards in RWC 2015 ... defeat yesterday would not have happened if the team had been winning for more than the past few weeks (IMHO).

PS. I particularly take your point about BOD to be limited to 50 mins per run as he transitions. I had been thinking about that earlier today and settled on 40, but the principle is the same.

PPS. DK has to take these decisions, but I'm not all that thankful for that. The approach I favour is one where a settled team emerges and is strongly supported by the management, DK has shown clear ability to do this (e.g. TOL). But I prefer the Aus version, where there is loyalty shown and players know their value to the squad BUT if they start playing like sh!t (e.g. TOL) they get booted into touch and left there until it is clear they are back to where they need to be(e.g. not TOL). The TOL saga and the ROG situation have compounded my doubt of DK as manager - the original doubt (heavily seasoned with dismay and anger) having been sown by the teams performances in 2010 and 2011. My personal view is that DK should be shuffled upwards, sidewards or outwards; I'm sure he can play a role but he shouldn't be given responsibility for selection or tactical issues.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland 2015

Post by Twist »

So who are we going to lobby for for the backs coach position? I think it's a huge appointment. I have faith in Smal, Feek and Kiss. A good backs coach would complete the set and rejuvenate the squad in every sense.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Leinsterman wrote:Image

Has just started a new job with a second division (?) team in France. Are you suggesting he does a Kidney by walking and screwing them over
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Leinsterman wrote:Matt Williams
I see your one Australian and raise you another - Eddie Jones. Although if I were the IRFU I'd be throwing all the money required to get Ewen McKenzie in as head coach sometime before 2015.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

West Brit wrote:
I see your one Australian and raise you another - Eddie Jones. Although if I were the IRFU I'd be throwing all the money required to get Ewen McKenzie in as head coach sometime before 2015.
As backs coach??
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

berniemac67 wrote:
West Brit wrote:
As backs coach??
Eddie Jones as backs coach, Ewen McKenzie as head coach. I still think personally that Eddie Jones knows what he's doing with backs, as he proved with South Africa at the last world cup. I also fully concede I may be in a minority of two (me and Eddie).
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
Ulster's Best
Bookworm

Post by Ulster's Best »

As backs coach??[/quote]
Eddie Jones as backs coach, Ewen McKenzie as head coach. I still think personally that Eddie Jones knows what he's doing with backs, as he proved with South Africa at the last world cup. I also fully concede I may be in a minority of two (me and Eddie).[/quote]

You ARE Eddie!
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

Ulster's Best wrote: You ARE Eddie!
Or his mother!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Scott wrote:

Has just started a new job with a second division (?) team in France. Are you suggesting he does a Kidney by walking and screwing them over
Eh- yeah can't say I'd feel too guilty about that if he can negotiate his way out!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Ulster's Best
Bookworm

Post by Ulster's Best »

artaneboy wrote:
Scott wrote:

Eh- yeah can't say I'd feel too guilty about that if he can negotiate his way out!
Have you NO respect for your Ulster brethern?? :roll: :lol:
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Signed up to help rebuild Narbonne who have some serious money behind them and all things being equal will soon enough get back into the Top 14 and be pushing for honours (either a European spot or the Bouclier de Brennus) if the investment that's been speculated is there
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on Matt Williams but I think we could do a lot worse.

Lookin at the shorter term, there us a lot of agreement on our desired end-state for 2015 but how do we get there? The 6N is the first step. There would be my priorities for that tournament in terms of player devopment;

Hagan; To be given a run as our number 2 at number 3

Tuohy and Ryan; Both to be given a chance, including starting at least one game together

Centres; One viable alternative at each position. That's you at 13, Tommy Bowe (we can cover wing). Is McF strong enough for 12? Looked ok v France during last 6N. Are we officially ignoring Downey? If so, can Spence's hands be developed?

Backs in general; Not so flat

Those would be 'musts' imo. I'd LIKE to see another LH get a look-in, a back or two blooded and a 7 at 7 (esp if BO'D is rested) but wholesale change overnight is a good way of ensuring a few demoralising hammerings
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

The best player for each position should start regardless of age, devalues the jersey otherwise, what I'd want to see is our style of play evolve, all Irish teams senior A under 21 should play the same style, therefore when players step up to the next level it should be relatively straight forward. I think the only changes in the starting line up will be sexton for o gara, spence for darcy, ruddock or o mahoney for leamy on bench. As a new backs coach what about Brian smith.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

But Lummix, if you stick too strictly to the "pick only the very best" rule you end up with no depth and a load of front liners flogged to bits. It's what EOS did in Black '07
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

lummix wrote:The best player for each position should start regardless of age
That hasn't happened in a long time!
And it hasn't happened for best 22/23 match day squad either.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

lummix wrote:The best player for each position should start regardless of age, devalues the jersey otherwise
Even for meaningless , pointless matches like Samoa last season? And now Canada and the US are getting regular matches against Tier 1 teams should we still wheel out BOD at 13 against them? I don't get this whole Munsteresque devaluing the jersey nonsense. Surely the best way to honour a jersey is to win major competitions, and to do that you need a good, deep squad, and to get that you have to give people a go to see if they are up to international standard and try different partnerships.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

So who/what combinations would you try in the immediate future?

Slight tangent, but does anyone know what the story is with Ferris' injury long term?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Twist wrote:So who are we going to lobby for for the backs coach position? I think it's a huge appointment. I have faith in Smal, Feek and Kiss. A good backs coach would complete the set and rejuvenate the squad in every sense.
A few names I would like:

Jean-Baptiste Ellissalde (language permitting)
David Nucifora (whether he would move is another question)
Mils Muliaina (if his Japanese playing contract can broken, & Gibbes might be able to help)
Ian Foster (think he's available since he left the Chiefs)
Felipe Contepomi
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Mils Muliaina is an interesting one