Ireland V England

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Ireland V England

Post by Dexter »

Given the squad announcement and the bumps and bruises from Saturday, what do people think?

Possibly:

Court - Healy rested, bruised foot
Best - Flannery to get significant time
Ross
DOC
POC
O'Brien
Wallace
Heaslip
Boss - needs gametime, share a half each with Murray
Sexton
D'Arcy
BOD
McFadden - needs gametime
Bowe
Kearney

Bench:
Flannery
Buckley
Cullen
Ferris
Murray
ROG
Trimble

Hard to know but I think there's a balancing act between getting a result and giving game time to squad members who haven't had much up to now.
Dont Panic!
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland V England

Post by Degz »

Ross should probably be rested, considering his importance. I'd imagine Rog will start this one.

Flannery to be risked with a start?
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Turnstiles needs a game so he and Kearney may get a half each.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
AidoB

Post by AidoB »

I'd say most of it is bang on. I'd see Ferris starting though. O'Brien has seen enough game time, Heaslip might drop too. Flannery may start and Murray or at least get a decent amount of time. Wallace may play as well. We could do with keeping BOD and D'Arcy in cotton wool. I'd stick Geordan in from the start if he's ok. I hope bowe starts, looking forward to seeing him again.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Degz wrote:Ross should probably be rested, considering his importance. I'd imagine Rog will start this one.

We need a win Degz. Kidney will selrct his strongest side available

Healy
Flannery
Ross
DOC
POC
SOB
Wallace
Jamie
Boss - has to start, simply has to. Either that, or DK will have completely thrown out the playbook for OZ. Massive chance for Boss
Sexton
Trimble
Darcy
BOD
Bowe
Kearney

Court Best Leo Ferris Murray ROG Earls benching
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

suisse wrote:
Degz wrote:Ross should probably be rested, considering his importance. I'd imagine Rog will start this one.

Healy
Flannery
Ross
DOC
POC
SOB
Wallace
Jamie
Boss - has to start, simply has to. Either that, or DK will have completely thrown out the playbook for OZ. Massive chance for Boss
Sexton
Trimble
Darcy
BOD
Bowe
Kearney

That would certainly be my first choice team at this point.I just dread to think of what would happen v Italy if Ross is not there.
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

I think Trimble has played plenty. Need to see Bowe. Half each from Kearney and Murphy.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

In the backs I'd start with Geordan Murphy at 15 and McFadden at 12 with a half back pairing of Boss & RO'G (need to play together) which swaps for Murray & Sexton at some stage second half. In the centre I'd switch Trimble (or Bowe if fit) with McFadden at 12 at some point in the game just to try out a few combos with Drico (maybe even move Drico to 12 if Bowe could move into 13). P.Wallace maybe to come on to replace Drico and McFadden to move to outside centre otherwise.

Scrumwise maybe give Ross a half with Court but then take him off and finish off with Court & Buckley (more important Ross is fit against Australia then us getting a win here). At hooker share the match between Flannery and Cronin (both need gametime). Secondrow I'd like to see PO'C and Leo start with Ryan to come on for Leo at some stage (we know what PO'C and DO'C do so try another combo please). Backrow needs to be Wallace, Heaslip and SO'B with Ferris to come on and grab a half with SO'B coming off.

Time to experiment with players that are actually going to maximise their potential. The result means feck all, even the All Blacks are going into the RWC with a loss in the tri-nations and the Aussies aren't bothered about the last game against them. Focus on the big picture - player fittness and performance and don't sweat the little detail of a result. That will take care of itself if the performance is kept simple ball in hand, no sloppy box kicks, silly turnovers due to lack of support. It's a simple game plan keep the ball and you win.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

suisse wrote:

Healy
Flannery
Ross
DOC
POC
SOB
Wallace
Jamie
Boss - has to start, simply has to. Either that, or DK will have completely thrown out the playbook for OZ. Massive chance for BossSexton
Trimble
Darcy
BOD
Bowe
Kearney

Would Murray not be just as capable of fulfilling the plan for Australia - and offering more?
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

15. Kearney; 14. Bowe, 13. BOD (captain), 12. McFadden, 11. Earls; 10. ROG, 9. Boss; 1. Court, 2. Flannery, 3. Ross; 4. Cullen, 5. DOC; 6. SOB, 7. Wallace, 8. Heaslip.

16. Cronin, 17. Healy, 18. Buckley, 19. POC, 20. Ferris, 21. Murray, 22. Sexton, 23. Trimble.

Healy needs a rest. Don't want to take too many risks with Ferris. Kearney, Bowe, Boss and McFadden could all do with some additional game time.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

1. Court, 2. Fla (give him 50 mins), 3. Buckley (Ross on the bench if things start to get embarrasing), 4. PO'C, 5. Leo, 6. SO'B, 7. Wally, 8. Heaslip, 9. Murray, 10. Sexton, 11. Earls, 12. D'Arce, 13. BO'D, 14. Bowe, 15. Rob

16. Cronin, 17. Ross, 18. Ryan, 19. Fez, 20. Boss, 21. RO'G, 22. Murphy

I reckon if we're going to look at Fla starting against Australia, we need to start him here and spring Cronin after 50 mins. I simply don't trust Buckley but we need to protect Ross as much as we can. Fez should get 30 mins if at all possible. We need to allow unfamilliar half back combinations to get used to each other so that's why I've paired up Murray with Sexton and Boss with RO'G (I don't actually mind which one starts). Murphy to get a half to help him try and get up to speed.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Golf Man wrote:
suisse wrote:

Healy
Flannery
Ross
DOC
POC
SOB
Wallace
Jamie
Boss - has to start, simply has to. Either that, or DK will have completely thrown out the playbook for OZ. Massive chance for BossSexton
Trimble
Darcy
BOD
Bowe
Kearney

Would Murray not be just as capable of fulfilling the plan for Australia - and offering more?
Sure, possibly, but we have nothing to base it on since he has only played about a dozen first class rugby matches and has yet to start for his country. If it is true that Murray was told he wouldn't be traveling last week, then the selectors obviously had Boss lined up for the TOL role if anything happened to their golden child. It would be an unbelievable state of affairs if Murray was considered surplus to requirments 24 hours before the O'Leary meltdown and then suddenly he is first choice scrum half without having played.

Then again, Boss has come from absolutely nowhere to earn an Ireland RWC squad place having hardly featured in 4 years. Plainly, the management team got it totally wrong for 12 months regarding a vital position on the rugby field. 12 months ago, Boss and Murray would have been rank outsiders for the RWC (a lot of general rugby rugby fans would never have heard of Murray) and now they are traveling despite Murray's inexperience and Boss' primary role as Reddan's back up. I'm presuming the Irish selectors liked what they saw when Boss went down to Clermont and played extremely well, but, then again, why was he never really considered for the 6N and only given one start (a 50 min job v Connacht) this August? They backed themselves into a corner are are essentially picking 2 SHs they probably never really wanted to select in the first place.
Last edited by suisse on August 23rd, 2011, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

That'd be a doubler
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

[quote="suisse] Sure, possibly, but we have nothing to base it on since he has only played about a dozen first class rugby matches and has yet to start for his country. If it is true that Murray was told he wouldn't be traveling last week, then the selectors obviously had Boss lined up for the TOL role if anything happened to their golden child. It would be an unbelievable state of affairs if Murray was considered surplus to requirments 24 hours before the O'Leary meltdown and then suddenly he is first choice scrum half without having played.

Then again, Boss has come from absolutely nowhere to earn an Ireland RWC squad place having hardly featured in 4 years. Plainly, the management team got it totally wrong for 12 months regarding a vital position on the rugby field. 12 months ago, Boss and Murray would have been rank outsiders for the RWC (a lot of general rugby rugby fans would never have heard of Murray) and now they are traveling despite Murray's inexperience and Boss' primary role as Reddan's back up. I'm presuming the Irish selectors liked what they saw when Boss went down to Clermont and played extremely well, but, then again, why was he never really considered for the 6N and only given one start (a 50 min job v Connacht) this August? They backed themselves into a corner are are essentially picking 2 SHs they probably never really wanted to select in the first place.[/quote]

Some of that is probably right although I don't believe that Murray was told he wasn't going - I think Murphy was told he wasn't unless there was an injury, which obviously happened

I'm not sure that TOL was nailed on to start against Oz - Thornley has been spouting on for ages about that but he got the squad wrong so he is not in the know about everything.

I also think that Reddan is, deservedly, ahead of Boss. I think they want a reliable sh for the Russia games and to come in if needed - Boss fills that role. If Murray was earmarked at this stage as third choice (and obviously it could all change) and in line for the Russia game I don't think they would have brought him - TOL could have filled in here. If they are bringing Murray I reckon that they intend to use him. I reckon its Reddan/Murray/Boss as the order at the moment - again its a paucity of resources - Murray is unproven but the optiosn aren't exactly great
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Golf Man wrote: Some of that is probably right although I don't believe that Murray was told he wasn't going - I think Murphy was told he wasn't unless there was an injury, which obviously happened

I'm not sure that TOL was nailed on to start against Oz - Thornley has been spouting on for ages about that but he got the squad wrong so he is not in the know about everything.

I also think that Reddan is, deservedly, ahead of Boss. I think they want a reliable sh for the Russia games and to come in if needed - Boss fills that role. If Murray was earmarked at this stage as third choice (and obviously it could all change) and in line for the Russia game I don't think they would have brought him - TOL could have filled in here. If they are bringing Murray I reckon that they intend to use him. I reckon its Reddan/Murray/Boss as the order at the moment - again its a paucity of resources - Murray is unproven but the optiosn aren't exactly great
There was no injury though. Apparently Murray was told TOL, Reddan and Boss were the SHs but TOL's disaster must have finally forced the management's arm on the issue. They simply couldn't bring TOL after that. I reckon TOL was nailed on for Aus if he didn't f%~k up - at every opportunity, Kidney paired Sexton and TOL. Had the look of a first choice pairing.

I agree that Reddan is deservedly ahead of Boss but it depends on how Kidney wants to play it. For the past 12 months, he has been blowing 2 horns; high tempo game (then play Reddan) and more aggressive presence around the fringes (then play Boss). Unfortunately we don't have a 9 who covers both.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

suisse wrote:For the past 12 months, he has been blowing 2 horns; high tempo game (then play Reddan) and more aggressive presence around the fringes (then play Boss). Unfortunately we don't have a 9 who covers both.
Murray? He's certainly the closest we have amongst the three travelling (and the two who aren't).
Four Stars
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Lar wrote:
suisse wrote:For the past 12 months, he has been blowing 2 horns; high tempo game (then play Reddan) and more aggressive presence around the fringes (then play Boss). Unfortunately we don't have a 9 who covers both.
Murray? He's certainly the closest we have amongst the three travelling (and the two who aren't).
Murray played 12 matches for Munster last season, has one cap for Ireland and played almost a half against Connacht last week (I missed it).

In all that time he hasn't scored one try for Munster and hasn't to my recollection shown many signs of having a break worth taking about. Reddan and Boss do, O'Leary is more inclined to run into contact but does at least attack around the fringes. Against France Murray didn't carry the ball a single time. I've never disputed that he's a promising player, but I think it's important to be realistic.

It's way too early to be talking about him as being a complete scrumhalf who can terrorise around the fringes and destroy defences while at the same time running a crisp, efficient passing game that gets outside the fastest blitz defences.

Besides which, you can't really have a scrumhalf who does both styles at the same time. If you're breaking all the time you're at the bottom of a lot of rucks, so you can't be getting the ball away quickly.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

1. Court, 2. Flannery, 3. Buckley, 4. POC, 5. Leo, 6. Ferris, 7. Wally, 8. Heaslip, 9. Murray, 10. ROG, 11. Earls, 12. D'Arce, 13. BO'D, 14. Bowe, 15. Rob

16. Cronin, 17. Ross, 18. Ryan, 19. Leamy, 20. Boss, 21. Sexton, 22. Murphy

Sean O'Brien has played every game, no? Give him the week off.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Kinger83
Knowledgeable

Post by Kinger83 »

Article in the Indo today saying SOB has picked up a knee injury...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/w ... 57248.html
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

CiaranIrl wrote:1. Court, 2. Flannery, 3. Buckley, 4. POC, 5. Leo, 6. Ferris, 7. Wally, 8. Heaslip, 9. Murray, 10. ROG, 11. Earls, 12. D'Arce, 13. BO'D, 14. Bowe, 15. Rob

16. Cronin, 17. Ross, 18. Ryan, 19. Leamy, 20. Boss, 21. Sexton, 22. Murphy

Sean O'Brien has played every game, no? Give him the week off.
I would have the same 22 but i'd swap kearney and murphy
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.