Italy -v- France

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Sincero
Graduate

Italy -v- France

Post by Sincero »

Just to put this in context, yes, Italy are currently on-course of a wooden spoon, however the Italians are not particularly fond of the French, to put it mildly. The Azzurri are full of pride, and when it comes to a home match in Rome against the 'transalpini', you know that they'll lift their game to the maximum.

France have the class throughout the squad... surprise/insane selection includes the inclusion of Capt. Caveman at 8, with Dusautoir and Bonnaire completing the back-row, while Imanol is benched, and Picamoles is left at home. Beats being dropped again, I suppose. Yachvili beats Parra to the 9 jersey, while Medard is switched into FB, meaning Poitrenaud takes his spot on an illustrious bench.

France: M Medard (Toulouse); Y Huget (Bayonne), A Rougerie (Clermont Auvergne), Y Jauzion (Toulouse), Vincent Clerc (Toulouse); F Trinh-Duc (Montpellier), D Yachvili (Biarritz); S Marconnet (Stade Francais), W Servat (Toulouse), N Mas (Toulouse); J Pierre (Clermont Auvergne), L Nallet (Racing Metro); T Dusautoir (Toulouse, capt), J Bonnaire (Bourgoin), S Chabal (Racing Metro).

Replacements: G Guirado (Perpignan), L Ducalcon (Castres), J Thion (Biarritz), I Harinordoquy (Biarritz), M Parra (Clermont Auvergne), D Traille (Biarritz), C Poitrenaud (Toulouse).

The same problems have come back to haunt Italy again this season as have every season since Diego and Tronky packed it in. The pack is as ever outstanding, and can go toe-to-toe with any 8 in the world. The backs have some individual talent, but haven't gelled as a unit. Mirco has played some great rubgy, but his kicking has wavered from excellent to dire. And basically the usual 'oriundi', or plastic eyeties, have been atrocious. It seems Mallet in particular, and the FRI are content to cap Aussies, Kiwis, Saffers and Argies that have been, with very good reason, rejected and expelled from their native lands for being utter trousers at the game. Italy are to announce their team tomorrow.

That said, there is more than enough in this squad to trouble the French come Saturday. If Italy could tweak some minor issues, start with Semenzato and Burton who are capable of a competent display, and set their backs up to receive the ball within sight of the gain-line, I think we could see a serious game here. Call me optimistic, and admittedly I am biased, as I held a season ticket for the Flaminio when I lived in Rome, and always cheer on Italy as my second national team... but...

the bookies are calling it 16-17 points, and I think I'll be having a slice of that this weekend... Thoughts/predictions?
Be there, be blue! Sing loud and true! (Drink pint... or eight...) Diddlydoo!
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Re: Italy -v- France

Post by tigerburnie »

Can't decide if the French are trying combinations for the World cup or if they've spat out their dummy and given up!
odyboody
Knowledgeable

Post by odyboody »

definitely haven't spit out the dummy, he is still in charge :)
Sincero
Graduate

Post by Sincero »

All bets are off, which isn't great, as I'd already backed the Azzurri... not thrilled with this selection at all, and Orquera should really have been shoved in the Thames after the Twickenham debacle, if not long before. Can't believe he's gotten the nod. Why oh why do the Italians refuse to murder Nick Mallett? It's been clear for everyone to see that he's actually the brother of Timmy Mallett, and coaches correspondingly.

Italy: 15 Andrea Masi, 14 Tommaso Benvenuti, 13 Gonzalo Canale, 12 Gonzalo Garcia, 11 Mirco Bergamasco, 10 Luciano Orquera, 9 Fabio Semenzato, 8 Sergio Parisse, 7 Robert Barbieri, 6 Alessandro Zanni, 5 Carlo Antonio Del Fava, 4 Santiago Dellape, 3 Martin Castrogiovanni, 2 Carlo Festuccia, 1 Andrea Lo Cicero.
Replacements: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17 Salvatore Perugini, 18 Quintin Geldenhuys, 19 Paul Derbyshire, 20 Pablo Canavosio, 21 Kristopher Burton, 22 Luke McLean.

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16 ... 59,00.html
Be there, be blue! Sing loud and true! (Drink pint... or eight...) Diddlydoo!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Sweet jebus France are good in broken play.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

COME ON ITALY
Daniel Sullivan
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

4:30 to hold on
T - 45
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

This will be a big test for their rugby maturity. Hope they don't panic!

What's Italian for "Up the jumper"?
random punter
Bookworm

Post by random punter »

Come on Italy!!!
Statistically, 13 out of 13 Triskaidekaphobics will be scared of this signature.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Jaysus, me nerves! What a finish. Well bloody done Italy!

Glad it was France and not us.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

The only bad thing about that result is that Hookie monster predicted it!
Daniel Sullivan
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

great win for them. Does it put our rome display into perspective? No, still think we were shite against them. But what a way to get only your second ever win against france!!
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool may have said this already, but Mallet for Ireland
Daniel Sullivan
random punter
Bookworm

Post by random punter »

Was shouting at the telly at the end of that. Great match and well done Italy!
Statistically, 13 out of 13 Triskaidekaphobics will be scared of this signature.
leinster80
Enlightened

Post by leinster80 »

Great day for Italian rugby, should win over a lot of supporters after this.
Shake your di*ks, this pissing contest is over!
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Where the fock did all those penalties come from? I'll have to watch it again but I find it believe France actually infringed that much.
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Caught the last 5 mins having done a tour with a group of students from Toulouse. All 40 of us crowded around the computer. They weren't happy at all but I more than balanced it out :wink:

A magnificent result for them and for rugby in Italy in general :clap: :clap: :clap:
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Italy have deserved a win like that for a while. In fairness France had a complete off day. I just hope Italy can now go and build on it and get a result in Scotland rather than it being a flash in the pan lucky win.

And as has been said elsewhere: Sergio Parisse- King of Italy!!
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

tate wrote:great win for them. Does it put our rome display into perspective? No, still think we were shite against them. But what a way to get only your second ever win against france!!
maybe it puts our match against france in perspective.

delighted for italy.

Peg Leg wrote:The only bad thing about that result is that Hookie monster predicted it!

i wouldn't worry about it, hook also thought it was a good idea when Mallet named bergamasco (an openside flanker) at scrum half
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

just getting to watch this game in full now. i think whats even more amazing than the result is the fact that italy did it without their scrum - they were minced by the french tight 5.

some class commentary on roughly 64 mins "France - is the wounded beast about to, eh, breath fire? and change into what we always imagine France to be; a killing beast"

comical.
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson