U 20 Six Nations

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: U 20 Six Nations

Post by CiaranIrl »

How did it end?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

26 all. We had a conversion to win but hit the post. Good finish though
A proud Winsome Fluter
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:26 all. We had a conversion to win but hit the post. Good finish though
Bah. Cheers.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Donny B. wrote:
Leinster Lout wrote:McIlroy doing his best to keep Wales in this. He has been consistently poor, while du toit looks twice the player. Bizarre
And he's not even on the bench any more. :evil:

Ireland have been completely dominant in all aspects of the game and yet Wales are only four points down.
What is the problem we seem to have with producing top notch scrum halves in this country. Attended my first rugby match in 1984 and Stringer is the best of a fairly mediocre bunch that have worn green since. In the last six Lions tours (89,93,97,01,05,09) only one Irish scrum-half has been selected for a Lions tour and he's not recaptured that form since the injury that stopped him touring.

We've managed to produce world class performers in practically every other position so what is behind our inability to produce a scrum-half who can master all the skills of that position?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Leinster Lout wrote:McIlroy doing his best to keep Wales in this. He has been consistently poor, while du toit looks twice the player. Bizarre

Ireland have been completely dominant in all aspects of the game and yet Wales are only four points down.
What is the problem we seem to have with producing top notch scrum halves in this country. Attended my first rugby match in 1984 and Stringer is the best of a fairly mediocre bunch that have worn green since. In the last six Lions tours (89,93,97,01,05,09) only one Irish scrum-half has been selected for a Lions tour and he's not recaptured that form since the injury that stopped him touring.

We've managed to produce world class performers in practically every other position so what is behind our inability to produce a scrum-half who can master all the skills of that position?
Scally. A few months older than BOD, younger than Stringer, on his fourth and final cap before knee injury he was starting in the 5N and BOD was an unused sub.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There was some clear talent out there. Pack was strong, especially in the scrums and from phase play. I felt that we let the game get too open too easily against Welsh opposition and were punished a few times for it. We showed good discipline early in the game but relaxed and they very quickly worked their way back into the game. They got away with a lot in terms of spoiling and as we moved the ball around more we tended to let ourselves get isolated. I noticed that in extended periods of open play we started to lose our shape, all the more reason not to play that way.

I was hugely impressed with Tracy, in the last few minutes as we were chasing the game he was everywhere.

I had been going on and on and on to my sister about Gilroy so it was perfect timing for him to score such an excellent try. Showed a great range of skills.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Don't worry chief. Conor Murray is going to solve our scrum half problem and drag us out of recession. I'm only half joking.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

cormac wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

I didn't think McIlroy was that bad. He looked cool under pressure and always seemed to have time on the ball. It wouldn't surprise me to see him playing for Ulster in a few years. I was disappointed with Jacksons kicking. Some of it was very poor and I was expecting better. Maybe it was nerves?

It looked like Ireland ran out of steam alright. Wales completely dominated the breakdown for the last 20 min. Throughout the match though Wales got quick ball when they did attack and Irish ball was slowed up.

Also a mention for the dozy linesman. Sherlock put a foot in touch and caught the Welsh clearence but the linesman gave the decision to Wales! It was about 15 min to go Ireland had Wales pinned down in the Welsh half and that decision ment they were attacking i the Irish half. Also the last Irish try was a clear knock on. Wales didn't deserve to win that though.

Overall it was a good display and something to build on. Even if Wales won Ireland were the better team.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dropkick wrote: I didn't think McIlroy was that bad. He looked cool under pressure and always seemed to have time on the ball. It wouldn't surprise me to see him playing for Ulster in a few years. I was disappointed with Jacksons kicking. Some of it was very poor and I was expecting better. Maybe it was nerves?

It looked like Ireland ran out of steam alright. Wales completely dominated the breakdown for the last 20 min. Throughout the match though Wales got quick ball when they did attack and Irish ball was slowed up.

Also a mention for the dozy linesman. Sherlock put a foot in touch and caught the Welsh clearence but the linesman gave the decision to Wales! It was about 15 min to go Ireland had Wales pinned down in the Welsh half and that decision ment they were attacking i the Irish half. Also the last Irish try was a clear knock on. Wales didn't deserve to win that though.

Overall it was a good display and something to build on. Even if Wales won Ireland were the better team.
That was very poor from the linesman, there was no plausible way he could have come to that conclusion without making a gross error. Wasn't watching too closely but didn't see it as a knock on.

The 22 drop out from our blocked down kick was a mistake from the TMO that got them out of real trouble. Ball bounced off the kicker before going past the try line so should have been a 5m attacking scrum in a great attacking position.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

Agree, very poor knowledge of the rules from the TMO. After the block down a welsh player clearly touched the ball last while it was in play. Overall though the refs didn't have too much affect onthe game and the 50 50 decisions evened out. They did slow our ball down a lot but they did so legally by rucking past the ball.

Ulster have a some very enviable prospects coming through in the back line but we looked really soft in defense in midfield throughout. Very entertaining game though.
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Always thought the last score was possible, fair play to them. Pity about the kick, thought it was over, nice respect from the crowd :|
There was no way Wales deserved to win that game in any case, a combination of errors and lack of ruthlessness meant we never put the game away..not helped by a pretty bad touch judge error.
Dont Panic!
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

ronk wrote:
cormac wrote: What is the problem we seem to have with producing top notch scrum halves in this country. Attended my first rugby match in 1984 and Stringer is the best of a fairly mediocre bunch that have worn green since. In the last six Lions tours (89,93,97,01,05,09) only one Irish scrum-half has been selected for a Lions tour and he's not recaptured that form since the injury that stopped him touring.

Scally. A few months older than BOD, younger than Stringer, on his fourth and final cap before knee injury he was starting in the 5N and BOD was an unused sub.
I've said the exact same thing numerous time about our inability to produce great scrum halves (and 6's), Colin Patterson is probably out best ever albeit on the back of a handful of caps. Scally was unfulfilled potential, can't call him world class.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

combatlogo wrote:
I've said the exact same thing numerous time about our inability to produce great scrum halves (and 6's), Colin Patterson is probably out best ever albeit on the back of a handful of caps. Scally was unfulfilled potential, can't call him world class.
The bar was set at Stringer's height, so in that sense he deserves mention, we'll never know if he was actually going to be world class. He was still only potential when he was playing.

Part of me thinks that we would have decided that Matt Dawson was rubbish if he had declared for Ireland.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

ronk wrote:
That was very poor from the linesman, there was no plausible way he could have come to that conclusion without making a gross error. Wasn't watching too closely but didn't see it as a knock on.

The 22 drop out from our blocked down kick was a mistake from the TMO that got them out of real trouble. Ball bounced off the kicker before going past the try line so should have been a 5m attacking scrum in a great attacking position.
I assumed at the time that the ref wanted to know this as part of his question, but I didn't hear his question. They were two Italians and had to communicate in English "you my not award the try" "what?" "you my not award the try" "I may award the try" "you my not award the try". Pure comedy. There was no way the TMO was going to be asked was the ball brought over the line by the Welsh.

Top marks to the commentary team for not even mentioning it as an issue.

The game should have been out of reach before the last 20. Well done to Wales for coming back so strong though.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

fourthirtythree wrote:
ronk wrote:

I assumed at the time that the ref wanted to know this as part of his question, but I didn't hear his question. They were two Italians and had to communicate in English "you my not award the try" "what?" "you my not award the try" "I may award the try" "you my not award the try". Pure comedy. There was no way the TMO was going to be asked was the ball brought over the line by the Welsh.

Top marks to the commentary team for not even mentioning it as an issue.

The game should have been out of reach before the last 20. Well done to Wales for coming back so strong though.
Yeah, reminded me of Inspector Clouseau.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rolfj5MMBbA
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

I see a certain young Tiger was MOTM again,George Ford a name for the future,8/8 kicks,assists for the first three tries.Do England play you in Ireland?
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Post by Justtoby »

From a Leinster perspective James Tracy, Martin Moore and Jordi Murphy looked good. Tracy scrummaged strongly and was lively in open play. Moore seemed to be carrying an injury and must have gone down injured about half a dozen times but he locked the scrum on Irelands put in and made life awkward on Welsh' ball. Murphy was everywhere.

Would I be right in saying that of the nine Leinster players on show, four of them came through the clubs system? Michael Sherlock, Andrew Boyle, Michael Kearney and Tadhg Furlong came through the clubs scene as far as I know. Great credit should go to the Leinster branch for growing that side of the game. Hopefully a flood of players will feed onto the Leinster scene from the club game to compliment those who come the more traditional route. The more Sean O'Briens, Trevor Brennans, Shane Horgans, Jamie Hagans, Mark McHughs and, eh, Niall Ronans the better.
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Ireland have been completely dominant in all aspects of the game and yet Wales are only four points down.[/quote]

We've managed to produce world class performers in practically every other position so what is behind our inability to produce a scrum-half who can master all the skills of that position?[/quote]

Don't worry chief. Luke McGrath is going to solve our scrum half problem and drag us out of recession. I'm only half joking.[/quote]

Fixed that there
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/22625.php
delighted to see carlos marsh get a start against england. whether he'll make it or not as a pro i don't know but he really knows how to get a backline moving, click on the link below, its highlights from the schools cup qf last season, the best outhalf performance i've seen in schools rugby

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Video/Watch/S ... 14-Feb-10/
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

Leinster Lout wrote:Ireland have been completely dominant in all aspects of the game and yet Wales are only four points down.

We've managed to produce world class performers in practically every other position so what is behind our inability to produce a scrum-half who can master all the skills of that position?[/quote]

Don't worry chief. Luke McGrath is going to solve our scrum half problem and drag us out of recession. I'm only half joking.[/quote]

Fixed that there[/quote]

agree completely about luke mcgrath, an incredible talent, a lot of clubs chasing him
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008