Geordan out - Who-T-F in?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Geordan out - Who-T-F in?

Post by Isaac4leinster »

FROM RTE:
Ireland rugby coach Declan Kidney could be without Geordan Murphy for the early stages of the RBS 6 Nations championship.

The Leicester captain was stretchered off after 71 minutes of Saturday's English Premiership match against Northampton and it is now believed that he has suffered a dislocated ankle.

'He's gone over on his ankle and we'll assess it over the next couple of days,' said Leicester boss Richard Cockerill in the wake of his side's victory over Northampton, but the prognosis does not appear to be promising.

Rob Kearney has already been ruled out of the opening games of the Six Nations with a knee injury, leaving Kidney without his two first choice full backs and opening the door for Luke Fitzgerald.

Watching 6 One there just now and said Geordan Murphy is out of 6 Nations. Hate to say but I just don't like Fitz at fullback at all. What other options?

Jonny Murphy? or god forbid, Denis Hurley?
Bosco
Mullet

Re: Geordan out - Who-T-F in?

Post by Bosco »

Jeremy Manning
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Knowing Deccie & his blinkers, Earls is probably his prime candidate to assume the position.
T - 45
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Really don't think throwing Fitz in there would do him any favours, someone needs to tell him that playing at full back has come and gone for him.

Earls would be badly exposed at 15, though maybe that would be a wakeup call regarding what he's capable of, ie wing at international level. I'd actually prefer to see Jonny Murphy in there over Fitz.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Gavin Duffy.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
gowest
Bookworm

Post by gowest »

duffy out to
sally
Bookworm

Post by sally »

Wouldnt mind Earls at 15 - could be make or break. Wouldnt mind trying Fitz there either for the same sort of reason. If either works out you have a top quality attacker at fullback for the next 6 years. I dont think Rob is cut out for the current version of fb play and Geordie is getting on so maybe a good time to have a look at the future?

Wouldnt go near Johne Murphy. Slow with dodge defence.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

An opportunity for someone. Will Force Kidney to select someone different and that can only be a good thing.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'd go for Bowe at 15, Horgan at 14 and Fitzgerald at 11, assuming Luke regains a bit of form. McFadden, Earls or Trimble at 11 alternatively.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Bosco wrote:Jeremy Manning
would like to see that, he is a very nice guy who was very unfortunate with injuries. supposed to have played a blinder at full back at the weekend and is in good form all season.
i am not saying he should play there or that i believe that he is the best option, just that i would like to see the lad do well for himself.

imo ireland are in trouble. fitz is in poor form, earls has shown he is not a full back, the game has past kearney out and as has been said already, murphy is pushing on. this should have been jones's time to step in, but sadly for him he has failed to stay fit
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote:
would like to see that, he is a very nice guy who was very unfortunate with injuries. supposed to have played a blinder at full back at the weekend and is in good form all season.
i am not saying he should play there or that i believe that he is the best option, just that i would like to see the lad do well for himself.

imo ireland are in trouble. fitz is in poor form, earls has shown he is not a full back, the game has past kearney out and as has been said already, murphy is pushing on. this should have been jones's time to step in, but sadly for him he has failed to stay fit
He's not eligible for Ireland anymore, AFAIK. The residency rules expire if you don't play while you're over there. On the plus side he's signed a two year contract extension with Newcastle so he's doing okay, he'll end up qualifying for England at that point though.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

I first saw Tommy Bowe play when he turned out for an Ireland U-21(?) team at full back and he was the outstanding player on the pitch.

So its Bowe at full back and on the wings perm any two from Fitzgerald, Horgan, McFadden, Trimble, Earls, Murphy or Hurley.

Pity Jones is injured.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I wouldn't mind seeing Bowe at 15 at all. He has played there at HEC level and done quite well. Could be used as a strike runner still from deep and it would be an opportunity to give the form winger in the country a deserved recall at 14. The more I think of it, the more sense it makes (the less likely it is).
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

ronk wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

He's not eligible for Ireland anymore, AFAIK. The residency rules expire if you don't play while you're over there. On the plus side he's signed a two year contract extension with Newcastle so he's doing okay, he'll end up qualifying for England at that point though.
i think you are wrong on that 1, can you show me so proof?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

If it were a must win game, I'd probably go with Duffy who's a reliable player and is the most experienced fit full back we have. However we've got to do a little experimenting in the 6 nations imo so I'd like to see Bowe tried at 15. See if he's up to it at international level.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Cianostays wrote: experimenting
You know that Deccie is the coach right?
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I'd go with Fitz if he can get a game or two under his belt with Earls on the left wing.

He is nowhere near a complete fullback but he is willing to back himself and run the damned ball back more often then not. All the others are still too fond of kicking it.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Cianostays wrote: experimenting
You know that Deccie is the coach right?
That, alas, is why I had to throw in an "imo" because we've been made painfully aware of DK's consevative nature but, every now and again (Ferris against NZ in '08 and Johnny against SA in '09 AI's), he can pleasantly surprise us. Okay, they were'nt experimental really but they were selections that many on here did not expect him to make.

Here's hoping :)
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Fitzgerald would be my choice. He's no international winger imo.
I am the one who knocks!
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Bowe at 15 is the obvious and "safest" choice. I like Luuuuuuuke at 15 but he's been without game time for a while. Will he get much between now and then?
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk