Stuart Barne's Rugby world Lions 2011!!!

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Bodisgod89
Learner

Stuart Barne's Rugby world Lions 2011!!!

Post by Bodisgod89 »

anyone see Barne's Lions team he picked in rugby world if there was to be a tour this year, quite shocking in parts. Chris Ashton whom he describes as a cert for 14, no Bowe, even in his reps. Spent force Shane Williams at 11, a player not trusted on lions test teams even in his prime. Drico at outside centre of course nothing wrong with that. Welsh front row jenkins rees jones, again hard to argue. Sexton at 10, a shout I love, with stephen jones as rep. actually here it is ill let all of ye scrutinize :D

15 Ben Foden
14 Chris Ashton
13 Brian O Driscoll
12 James Hook
11 Shane Williams
10 Jonathan Sexton
9 Mike Phillips :happy clapper: (legend)
8 Jamie Heaslip
7 John Barcley
6 Tom Croft
5 Paul O Connell
4 Courtney Laws
3 Adam Jones
2 Matt Rees
1 Gethin enkins

Reps: Dan Cole, Dylan Hartley, Richie Grey, Stephen Ferris, Ben Youngs, Stephen Jones, Rob Kearney.

unbelievably disappointed with that I know these dream teams are just page fillers but I would have thought Healy, wyn jones, roberts, fitzgerald and the like qualify alot higher than some, i also think dylan hartley is useless
AND BOWE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: Stuart Barne's Rugby world Lions 2011!!!

Post by Logorrhea »

Paul O'Connell? All he has done this year is get sent off.

No problem with that particular selction, but if your picking off reputation you have to play Roberts at 12 with Drico at 13.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Would be some team all the same! Roberts has been off form for a while now! I Don't mind Ashton but I would have a Bowe in my side all day before Williams even at 11
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

An exercise whereby Barnes can pick as many English as he can for a non existent Lions team

pointless
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

Can't wait for my copy of the magazine to arrive :roll:
Bodisgod89
Learner

Post by Bodisgod89 »

Good issue actually, good interview with Ciano and also Ferris!!!
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Sure doesn't Tommy score a try in every single match he plays in. (If he doesn't and an anorak tells me so, it sure as hell feels like he does!!!!)
LEINSTER pour toujours
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

My patriotism aside, Ferris is taking the piss lately and would be a dead very for 6.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

gleesonisgod wrote:My patriotism aside, Ferris is taking the piss lately and would be a dead very for 6.
What's a dead very?
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

johng wrote:
gleesonisgod wrote:My patriotism aside, Ferris is taking the piss lately and would be a dead very for 6.
What's a dead very?
You're a dead very.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

CiaranIrl wrote:
johng wrote:
What's a dead very?
You're a dead very.
Thanks Mate. Nicest thing anyone has said to me since 27/12/10
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Foden, Ashton and Croft .... give me strength.

Just spotted Lawes too. :roll:

Kearney/Byrne >>>>>>>> Foden
Bowe >>>>>>>>> Ashton
Ferris/O/Brien >>>>>>>>>>> Croft

Bloody hell, not really a vintage crop if Lawes is considered an in-form Lions lock. :x
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Leinsterman wrote:Foden, Ashton and Croft .... give me strength.

Just spotted Lawes too. :roll:

Kearney/Byrne >>>>>>>> Foden
Bowe >>>>>>>>> Ashton
Ferris/O/Brien >>>>>>>>>>> Croft

Bloody hell, not really a vintage crop if Lawes is considered an in-form Lions lock. :x
* Hard to say that Byrne or Kearney would get the full back place ahead of Foden on current form

* Ashton ahead of Shane Williams and Bowe at 14 would make more sense.

* Hard to select two in form locks. Who would be ahead of Lawes, given that we realistically have to look at internationals primarily? He would be a good foil for POC as well, I imagine.

* Lewis Moody would have a case for the openside slot. Hard to argue with Barnes for SOB at blindside when he can't make the Ireland team, in our head coach's eyes.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

johng wrote:
What's a dead very?
Whilst CiaranIRL is correct in stating that you are indeed a dead very, I had meant to say dead cert. iPhone has a mind of its own at times.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

gleesonisgod wrote:
johng wrote:
What's a dead very?
Whilst CiaranIRL is correct in stating that you are indeed a dead very, I had meant to say dead cert. iPhone has a mind of its own at times.
Yeah! They're chyte aren't they :lol:
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

gleesonisgod wrote: iPhone has a mind of its own at times.
apologies in advance (josie's fault really)

http://damnyouautocorrect.com/category/best-of-dyac/
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

CiaranIrl wrote:* Hard to say that Byrne or Kearney would get the full back place ahead of Foden on current form

* Ashton ahead of Shane Williams and Bowe at 14 would make more sense.

* Hard to select two in form locks. Who would be ahead of Lawes, given that we realistically have to look at internationals primarily? He would be a good foil for POC as well, I imagine.

* Lewis Moody would have a case for the openside slot. Hard to argue with Barnes for SOB at blindside when he can't make the Ireland team, in our head coach's eyes.

True enough, I wasn't really thinking of current form.
Still, when you see a team like that, it's worrying how few of the players you'd expect to make up a Lions XV are in form at all.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

CiaranIrl wrote:

* See Alan Quinaln.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Think we can safely say that the Lions would be destroyed if they played Oz this year. At least half that team is fairly questionable and there are no genuine Lions-class players in some crucial positions. Sexton, whilst probably the in form outhalf in the home nations currently, needs to improve his game management slightly still to be the pick. Not a lot of competition at outhalf. A 35 year old Jones, a hit and miss Biggar who has not built on his hugely impressive debut season or Toby Flood? Mike Catt type figure at 12 would be ideal for him and whilst Hook offers some of those qualities, he's not in Catt's league for me. In 2 years, I'd expect 15, 14, 10, 9, 8, 5, 3 and 1 to be in the squad if they hit anything like the form they're capable of ahead of the squad being picked.

Not sure why Ashton is getting grief. Bloke is arguably the best player in space in the NH. His try scoring speaks for itself and he's quite young and still learning given he only started playing union at the age of 20. Another year or two exposure at top level and he could be a fantastic player.
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

Once again.......NO BOWE?????