IRFU & Kidney

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

ror
Graduate

IRFU & Kidney

Post by ror »

So DKs contract expires after WC 2011, Do you think it will be extended before the WC. It strikes me as the type of Brainless thing the IRFU might do? Given
the current turmoil in the IRFU re tickets etc and the current form of the Irish team, surly it would be best so judge the man on results not effort.That said I bet they extend it before the WC.
JustinDee
Beginner

Re: IRFU & Kidney

Post by JustinDee »

ror wrote:So DKs contract expires after WC 2011, Do you think it will be extended before the WC. It strikes me as the type of Brainless thing the IRFU might do? Given the current turmoil in the IRFU re tickets etc and the current form of the Irish team, surly it would be best so judge the man on results not effort.That said I bet they extend it before the WC.
Erm . . . the Irish team haven't played since June.
There isn't exactly any current form to go on.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

ror wrote:That said I bet they extend it before the WC.

Nothing would surprise me with the IRFU
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

I would hope they would have learnt their lesson after doing the same thing in the build up to the last world cup with EOS contract
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

If we do well at the world cup, he has to be considered fro the Lions role.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
gowest
Bookworm

Post by gowest »

CiaranIrl wrote:If we do well at the world cup, he has to be considered fro the Lions role.
what would you class as well. he need to get to a semi to even be considered for lions job. ireland recent form is the kind of thing that got eddie sacked. we lose 3 games this november and then i think kidny will need a great wc to keep the job.

he wont get a new contract until after the wc. hopefully the irfu have learned from their mistakes.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

CiaranIrl wrote:If we do well at the world cup, he has to be considered fro the Lions role.
He can't have the Lions job - sure hasn't Gatland already negotiated a summer release in his Wales contract cause he's planning on getting the job!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Yeah, heard he has 5 weeks of 'holiday' booked in his contract. How convenient !!! On the other note ... dont do it IRFU ...DONT DO IT !!!!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

The IRFU are in a position to delay offering DK a new contract, if he wants one. If we are eliminated in the group stage, he walks. If we get to the semi or better, he is offered an extension of his choice. If we go out, again, in the QFs, I think the IRFU need to think very clearly about their next move. If the defeat, like 2003, is embarrassing, I would not renew his contract.

The reason they are in position is because for all of Kidney's attributes and qualities (and the Munster fans were on in large numbers with the Best Coach thread), he is not exactly the type of guy to be hired by another major international team. The Lions can w&%k all over the Wasps/Wales collection, and they will. But can you really see any of the other 6 Nations teams appraoching Kidney?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Does it definitely expire after the World cup? I thought that that was the case with O'Sullivan's contract which is why that was renewed when it was but Kidney's went as far as the 2012 6N.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

I doubt if candidates will be lining up for the Ireland job tbh. They weren't when Deccie got the job and that was with a few world class players on offer. Most coaches prefer a club situation (and I'd be pretty sure with his record he wouldn't have much of a problem finding a club). A club like the Os might actually win something with Deccie as coach.

Who do you reckon he should be replaced with by the way.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

janeymac08 wrote:I doubt if candidates will be lining up for the Ireland job tbh. They weren't when Deccie got the job and that was with a few world class players on offer. Most coaches prefer a club situation (and I'd be pretty sure with his record he wouldn't have much of a problem finding a club). A club like the Os might actually win something with Deccie as coach.

There weren't many candidates because most other coaches were already in a world cup build up cycle by the time the irfu finally got rid of EOS. IIRC Jake White put his name in the hat just after the world cup but instead they persisted with EOS for another season.

personally i don't think he should be replaced right now, but we have been on a losing streak for a bit now and have recorded a record defeat against NZ. You can't fault people for questioning his tenure...
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
Bones
Mullet

Post by Bones »

janeymac08 wrote: A club like the Os might actually win something with Deccie as coach.
I seem to remember he once tried Wales for 5 minutes, before stopping off at Leinster for a further quarter of an hour, on a round trip starting and ending in Munster.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

slum wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:I doubt if candidates will be lining up for the Ireland job tbh. They weren't when Deccie got the job and that was with a few world class players on offer. Most coaches prefer a club situation (and I'd be pretty sure with his record he wouldn't have much of a problem finding a club). A club like the Os might actually win something with Deccie as coach.

There weren't many candidates because most other coaches were already in a world cup build up cycle by the time the irfu finally got rid of EOS. IIRC Jake White put his name in the hat just after the world cup but instead they persisted with EOS for another season.

personally i don't think he should be replaced right now, but we have been on a losing streak for a bit now and have recorded a record defeat against NZ. You can't fault people for questioning his tenure...
Jake White put his name in the hat for the England job (they've had a few coaches since 2007)! You do realise White is still 'resting'. The IRFU did their best not to employ Kidney as the coach and a few turned them down.

The future captain of Ireland had a larger say in what happened against New Zealand than Kidney & his coaching staff had.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Bones wrote:
janeymac08 wrote: A club like the Os might actually win something with Deccie as coach.
I seem to remember he once tried Wales for 5 minutes, before stopping off at Leinster for a further quarter of an hour, on a round trip starting and ending in Munster.
Next stop Connaught or the us eagles!
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Bones wrote: I seem to remember he once tried Wales for 5 minutes, before stopping off at Leinster for a further quarter of an hour, on a round trip starting and ending in Munster.
That particular round trip included Ireland - as EOS's assistant. Don't tell me you are still moaning about Kidney going home to Cork to be close to a dying parent? The way you are talking you would think that player power didn't get Gary Ella sacked in Leinster a few months previous.
Bones
Mullet

Post by Bones »

janeymac08 wrote:
Bones wrote: I seem to remember he once tried Wales for 5 minutes, before stopping off at Leinster for a further quarter of an hour, on a round trip starting and ending in Munster.
That particular round trip included Ireland - as EOS's assistant. Don't tell me you are still moaning about Kidney going home to Cork to be close to a dying parent? The way you are talking you would think that player power didn't get Gary Ella sacked in Leinster a few months previous.
Well he didn't exactly cover himself in glory here but it was all finally forgotten once Cheiks fixed it.

......And from describing Declan Kidney's year long trip you can deduce that I'm denying the events surrounding Gary Ella? That's quite some talent you have there, you must explain to me some time how 2 + 2 = 4,725. Or maybe you were just looking for an opportunity to bring something up and, as irrelevant as it is, you thought that the next post would be a good enough opportunity.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

Bones wrote:
janeymac08 wrote: That particular round trip included Ireland - as EOS's assistant. Don't tell me you are still moaning about Kidney going home to Cork to be close to a dying parent? The way you are talking you would think that player power didn't get Gary Ella sacked in Leinster a few months previous.
Well he didn't exactly cover himself in glory here but it was all finally forgotten once Cheiks fixed it.

......And from describing Declan Kidney's year long trip you can deduce that I'm denying the events surrounding Gary Ella? That's quite some talent you have there, you must explain to me some time how 2 + 2 = 4,725. Or maybe you were just looking for an opportunity to bring something up and, as irrelevant as it is, you thought that the next post would be a good enough opportunity.
Leinster made the QFs which you hadn't the year before with the said Gary Ella. The point I was making about Gary Ella is that the Leinster players were happy enough to do the dirty on Gary Ella, but got all upset when Kidney moved to Munster to be close to his dying parent.

As for it being all forgotten now - you must be joking - you are still going on about it in this thread! :D
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

janeymac08 wrote: Leinster made the QFs which you hadn't the year before with the said Gary Ella.

That was John McWeeney's fault.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Bones
Mullet

Post by Bones »

janeymac08 wrote:The point I was making about Gary Ella is that the Leinster players were happy enough to do the dirty on Gary Ella, but got all upset when Kidney moved to Munster to be close to his dying parent.
Au contraire. Allow me to quote an extract from a year in the centre by Brian O'Driscoll:

I have nothing personal against Declan, we go back to the Under 19 world cup in France in 1998, when we won and he was the coach. He played a large part in that, convincing us that we were as good as any team in the world and hey, why shouldn't Ireland win? Thanks partly to those early lessons from declan I have never run out onto a rugby pitch feeling a lesser player than aby opponent. But it hasn't worked out at Leinster, and perhaps a parting of the ways is for the best.

In all honesty I have scarecely learned a thing, technically at Leinster for a couple of years now. My game hasn't progressed as I would have liked, I'm just honing old skills and maintaining fitness levels.