IRFU & Kidney

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

ror
Graduate

Re: IRFU & Kidney

Post by ror »

ror wrote:So DKs contract expires after WC 2011, Do you think it will be extended before the WC. It strikes me as the type of Brainless thing the IRFU might do? Given
the current turmoil in the IRFU re tickets etc and the current form of the Irish team, surly it would be best so judge the man on results not effort.That said I bet they extend it before the WC.
I new the Wan~ers would do it!!
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

From RTE:

Kidney signs Ireland contract extension
Friday, 22 July 2011 18:47
The Irish Rugby Football Union has revealed that Ireland coach Declan Kidney and his assistants Gert Smal, Les Kiss and Mark Tainton have all agreed new contract extensions.

The current coaching team had been contracted up to the conclusion of the World Cup in October, but the decision of the coaching team will see them remain with the squad until the conclusion of the 2012-13 season.

The only member of the current coaching staff that will not be continuing to work with the team after the World Cup is Alan Gaffney.

Gaffney has decided to return to his native Australia to continue coaching.

IRFU chief executive Philip Browne expressed his joy at the development, saying: "The IRFU is delighted that Declan, Gert, Les and Mark have all agreed to their new contracts.

"We felt it was important to give the team continuity over the next four months and importantly after the end of the World Cup tournament in New Zealand.

"Apart from securing the Grand Slam in 2009, the team has made significant progress over the last two years in terms of results and the development of players in international competition. This is not only due to the ability of the players, but the standard of coaching they have received.

"The contract extension to the coaching staff allows everybody to plan ahead following the World Cup with a greater degree of certainty and to allow the team to continue to develop. The focus now for the coaches and players is firmly on the preparations for the World Cup and the tournament itself."

Declan Kidney revealed his satisfaction with the new contract, saying: "It has been a privilege over the last three years to have been involved with the Ireland team and so I am delighted that the IRFU has offered me the opportunity to continue that work.

"To be able to work with the level of players and coaches that Ireland have had during that time is a chance that very few get, so it has been a wonderful experience.

"While the World Cup has been our focus in terms of developing the team and what we have been aiming at over the last number of years in terms of squad development, I think there are plenty more young players still to come through to international rugby and that is an exciting prospect for the future.

"I am especially pleased that three of the other coaches are staying in place to continue to work with the team, as I believe they have all been instrumental in helping to bring the squad along in terms of the players and performance levels.

"The players and coaches have had some good days during the last three years and the next four months represent the biggest challenge that this particular group have faced together.

"The hard work that the players, coaches and the IRFU are currently putting into our preparations has been immense and I believe that if we maintain this level of commitment to each other, we will be in a good place come August and the World Cup in September."
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable

Post by Ultra Vires »

JOKESHOP
The Bird is the Word
Sincero
Graduate

Post by Sincero »

Armchair wrote:I would hope they would have learnt their lesson after doing the same thing in the build up to the last world cup with EOS contract. -Nov. 2010
:lol: Ah there are some real gems in this thread as well. Many disbelieving... many hoping... and several able to predict this and the next few moves by the IRFU leading into World Cups now and for the foreseeable. Well done all. :happy clapper:
Be there, be blue! Sing loud and true! (Drink pint... or eight...) Diddlydoo!
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Bones wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:And why are Leinster fans bringing Kidney's short Leinster career up so many years later. G'wan, admit it, you still feel you were jilted :D Woman scorned etc. etc. :)
Nope wrong again. I saw nothing in that year to encourage me think that we were on the brink of something special under Uncle Deccie. So, whilst he may be Lord God almighty to you or some kind of infallible higher being, I'm afraid I didn't witness the awesomeness of your deity. Now don't get me wrong, in terms of what had happened the season before it was an improvement (never at the races in a home HEC quarter, lost to Munster in the Celtic Cup Semi and 3rd in the league) but it was nothing to get me banging the Deccie drum and praying to God (or Deccie in your case) that he'd stay.

Completely off topic and more than a bit conspiracy theory-ish but I've heard from a few names now that Leinsters success was to do with improved squad cohesion, and the squad cohesion improved dramatically after Denis Hickie retired
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

so denis hickie was tearing the squad apart?
"everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Well I certainly don't know, but supposedly there was major tension between him and at least one other big player in the team
BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Post by BlueBlue »

As bad as the IRFU may be, I'd take them over the welsh , English and Scotish Unions.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Turnip Boy
Knowledgeable

Post by Turnip Boy »

gfo wrote:Well I certainly don't know, but supposedly there was major tension between him and at least one other big player in the team

go on tell us the story that Francis wouldn't RWC 2007 :D
“It was a very simple gameplan, not the type of gameplan that would work for the Wallabies. I think it’d be too restrictive on the talent we have.” - Rocky on Leinster's style of rugby.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

gfo wrote:Well I certainly don't know, but supposedly there was major tension between him and at least one other big player in the team
"Big" - Is that a Freudian slip?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Like I said, anything I could tell you is hearsay and conjecture
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

gfo wrote:Like I said, anything I could tell you is hearsay and conjecture a rumour not based on fact and may bear no resemblance to the actual truth.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
Ultra Vires
Knowledgeable

Post by Ultra Vires »

KIDNEY OUT!!!!!
The Bird is the Word
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Ultra Vires wrote:KIDNEY OUT!!!!!
+1!!!!
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
The Last Stand

Post by The Last Stand »

Can I ask who would people choose to take over Kidney?

Serious question... It seems pretty bare, and ye guys don't want to lose Joe.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

The Last Stand wrote:Can I ask who would people choose to take over Kidney?

i heard someone ask gerry thornley one time and his response was along the lines of naming all the irish connected coaches (by birthplace/recent position) and said how none of them are ready to step up from provincial to national.

I do not want a coach with ANY links to ANY Irish province. full stop.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

The Last Stand wrote:Can I ask who would people choose to take over Kidney?

Nick Mallett??
Dont Panic!
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

John Kirwan has done wonders with Japan, not even messing. Anything but Pygmy.
slum
Mullet

Post by slum »

I've been told we are now at the lowest ranking in the history of IRB rankings
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

slum wrote:I've been told we are now at the lowest ranking in the history of IRB rankings
So what? The only think that matters is the 6 nations and the RWC. People calling for his head now are delusional. I honestly couldn't give a monkees about results in the warm up. The boys are clearly targeting the Oz game and I strongly suspect that they aren't revealing play patterns in advance of that game. The time to judge the coach is after the world cup not because we don't like the build up. The rights and wrongs of the build up will only be proven right or wrong when we take the field against Oz.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us