Jonathon Sexton take a bow

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Jonathon Sexton take a bow

Post by ronk »

I thought D'Arcy was fantastic too. Certainly it's going to be close between him and Wallace. Even his poor form is still good, just with a few handling errors.
awol
Bookworm

Post by awol »

Hes definitely one of the form players. Has been for some time. Hook and Pope made the very valid point that he should start next week to see what he can do. The comparison was made with Carter trying to break into the NZ squad, You have to give guys the opportunity. While i dont put him alongside Carter yet, the potential is there and he has a better defensive and running game than ROG.

Gotta like the guys attitude, in the interview said if he didnt start he was just going to kick on and play as well as he can.

Should start next week, wont... May make an appearance alright.

Thought Leo did ok, better than O Callaghan anyway...... Not a great night but didnt look like it for anyone in 2nd row.

Darcy was average, however is an average Darcy as much use as Paddy Wallace, dont have an answer on that one...

Buckley - Shocked. He needs to keep it up at that decent level as we dont see enough of it.
Court did well also. Dunno would he be ever No.1 choice but good to have.
Wexford man stuck in Cork....
sarahbear
Beginner

Post by sarahbear »

"Johnny got a BOOM BOOM,
Johnny got a BAMN..!!"

:happy clapper:
applause = well deserved!!
Heineken Cup 09. Happy out! <3
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Broken Wing wrote:Brilliant performance. 100% kicking rate for Ireland.

Hook and Pope both said he should start next week. With RO'G on the bench they can bring him in if things aren't working for The Sex but if we start RO'G we learn nothing. Unfortunately I don't think it will happen.
It won't. Kidney said in his post match interview "Ronan's still the number one". So that's that. He remembered to pretend that form was an issue later on when he said that they'd see who turned up for training on Monday and kick on from there.
But it isn't.
Sexton was superb last night and showed a set of skills that O'Gara simply never posessed let alone exhibits now. Court was, I thought, the other big winner last night, and Buckley. Losers were Darcy (one high profile mistake to butcher a try will be remembered: the two tries he layed on with excellent passing won't), Hayes, O'Callaghan (only on for a short time but did nothing but concede penalties) and O'Brien (as often pointed out he hasn't the hands for this level).
I just rewatched the game - If you're referring to his post match interview he actually lied said "Ronan's still a quality player." Love to see it but I can't see Judas picking Sexton, yet.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

ronk wrote:I thought D'Arcy was fantastic too. Certainly it's going to be close between him and Wallace. Even his poor form is still good, just with a few handling errors.
Agree D'Arcy was excellent, Earls wouldn't have been on the score board without him. His hands and timing of the pass were superb. Still think Wallace will get the call but great to see D'Arce returning to form.
mfjoc
Graduate

Post by mfjoc »

I know Kidney won't start him but so what
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Posting in a thread that started almost exactly 12 years ago is a little strange. @ronk is almost the only poster whose handle I recognise but I suspect that there are many like me who would like to mark Sexto's 100th cap and thank him for his contribution to Leinster and Ireland along the way.

He's a player I'd love to have played with. A fanatical desire to win. A demanding personality that every team-mate should be as fanatical as he is. No respecter of reputations, he only values effort and effectiveness. A player who has honed each of his skills and talents by hard work and dedication. A player whose smile in success is as radiant as his glower in defeat. A player who never concedes a battle until the last touch of the ball.

It's impossible to imagine how much we'll miss him when he finally departs but I hope it won't be until his successor has clearly demonstrated his ability and entitlement to succeed to the No 10 jersey. He had to wrestle that jersey off Felipe and RO'G in turn and when he did, he certainly had no desire to hand it back - even on a temporary basis.

To reach 100 caps is a extraordinary achievement for an Irish rugby player. To do so when he was past 24 when he won his cap is without parallel. With about 10 caps a year available, he could add 25 before he finishes and if he does, I'll be delighted, because Jonno will only continue for as long as he is certain that his contribution is the best available.

Good luck today, Mr Sexton. Bring us back another win and enjoy the adulation and admiration which will come your way. You deserve it.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 6th, 2021, 9:31 am.

To reach 100 caps is a extraordinary achievement for an Irish rugby player. To do so when he was past 24 when he won his cap is without parallel. With about 10 caps a year available, he could add 25 before he finishes and if he does, I'll be delighted, because Jonno will only continue for as long as he is certain that his contribution is the best available.

Good luck today, Mr Sexton. Bring us back another win and enjoy the adulation and admiration which will come your way. You deserve it.
You had to say it.

The most capped outhalf is on 130. I’d rather Sexton playing because he wants to and can contribute, than have a cap chasing narrative.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: November 6th, 2021, 11:12 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: November 6th, 2021, 9:31 am.

You had to say it.

The most capped outhalf is on 130. I’d rather Sexton playing because he wants to and can contribute, than have a cap chasing narrative.
Hard to argue with any of the above.
Sexton will get a great and deserved cheer when he runs out onto the pitch this afternoon.
C'mon Johnny, C' mon Ireland
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

G'wan Johnny!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

riocard911 wrote: November 6th, 2021, 12:59 pm G'wan Johnny!!!!
Y'know, for all the talk of King Johnny being fragile....
He has played in 52 of our 60 6N games since his debut in 2010, and that includes 49 starts.
He's missed 8 games in 12 6N seasons.
Can anyone match that?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

blockhead wrote: November 9th, 2021, 12:18 am
He has played in 52 of our 60 6N games since his debut in 2010, and that includes 49 starts.
Can anyone match that?
Rory Best has got to be close. Heckuva an achievement from Johnny.

The thing about Johnny is he only looks fragile because he's being tackled by 18 stone behemoths, compared to the average person Johnny is pretty solid built hombre
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

RoboProp wrote: November 9th, 2021, 2:16 pm
blockhead wrote: November 9th, 2021, 12:18 am
Can anyone match that?
Rory Best has got to be close. Heckuva an achievement from Johnny.

The thing about Johnny is he only looks fragile because he's being tackled by 18 stone behemoths, compared to the average person Johnny is pretty solid built hombre
Best started 46 of the 50 6N games in the 2010's and was on the bench for 2 of the others. Only games he missed were away to Italy in 2017 and 2019.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish