Visual Awareness Coaching

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Visual Awareness Coaching

Post by tackle-bag »

Really interesting piece here on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/simonaustin/ ... eapon.html

I've heard from people involved in other sports that the positive effects of this kind of training are almost boundless. With the IRFU in such a healthy financial state, you would have to think that (at the very least) the national side should have a full-time visual awareness coach.
Last edited by tackle-bag on June 27th, 2009, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Re: Visual Awareness Coaching

Post by leinsterlank »

I read this today and I would have to agree. Back to back world cups is proof enough!Get on it!
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I recall thinking this was one of Woodward's stranger moments but was won over when I heard about it in more detail.

Some of the stuff is very interesting. Not sure if a full time coach is necessary but probably no harm.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Does anyone know of basic drill sthat can be done for this?
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

tones wrote:Does anyone know of basic drill sthat can be done for this?
Yeah. I remember seeing one where players just toss the ball less than 5 yards to each other. Simplest thing in the world except the receiver closes his eyes and only opens them after the ball is thrown (usually at a verbal signal). Then there are things like staring straight ahead while passing or receiving the ball to focus on peripheral vision.

IIRC many of the drills look more like computer or arcade games than rugby training. I'm not an expert though.