Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: 6 Nations 2024

Post by The Doc »

Dave Cahill wrote:
neiliog93 wrote: February 10th, 2024, 4:22 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: February 10th, 2024, 4:18 pm Show me an angle that clearly, definitely and definitively shows the ball on the ground in goal.

Because if you can't, the referee's on-field call stands.

And because there wasn't that angle, MacNeice was 100% right.
The ball is clearly grounded over the line after initially being on top of a yellow boot. Ref should have asked, 'try/no try', but still.

Few things are ever "100% certain" in the technical sense.
Show me the angle of the ball clearly grounded over the line after initially being on top of a yellow boot.

The ref can't ask "try or no try", that's gone a couple of years, he has to refer a decision to be checked. So, my onfield decision is a, can you check for b

And for the TMO to overrule, it has to be 100% certain in the technical sense.
Agreed

But it will give the Scots a reason not to talk about why they stopped playing with a 6 point lead and thought they could hold out which just invited the french onto them.

A lesson we had to learn quite a few times over the years

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Observingprop123
Enlightened

Post by Observingprop123 »

Watching the rugby this weekend I really do wonder why the TMO doesn't get involved in Jackal calls with hands on the floor. Makes no sense to me why the Referee can't just say that's a penalty, the TMO will quickly check if there was hands on the floor or not. I understand that we don't want the TMO checking everything but there's been a world cup arguably decided by it, (Penalty against Savea that Pollard converted, SA win by 1) and we have been shafted by it(Ala'alatoa in Marseille). It would take 30 seconds and that decision is usually the difference in 60ms of territory, if not 80 for the opposing teams( plus 40 metres if its your pen, minus 40 if its the opposition).

I think Reffell is the greatest example of a player who threads the line finely who gets unfair penalties for and against him on this topic.
PeteIRL
Knowledgeable

Post by PeteIRL »

Observingprop123 wrote: February 11th, 2024, 11:20 pm Watching the rugby this weekend I really do wonder why the TMO doesn't get involved in Jackal calls with hands on the floor. Makes no sense to me why the Referee can't just say that's a penalty, the TMO will quickly check if there was hands on the floor or not. I understand that we don't want the TMO checking everything but there's been a world cup arguably decided by it, (Penalty against Savea that Pollard converted, SA win by 1) and we have been shafted by it(Ala'alatoa in Marseille). It would take 30 seconds and that decision is usually the difference in 60ms of territory, if not 80 for the opposing teams( plus 40 metres if its your pen, minus 40 if its the opposition).

I think Reffell is the greatest example of a player who threads the line finely who gets unfair penalties for and against him on this topic.
You have to draw the line somewhere with the TMO. The game would grind to a halt. I'd rather they get involved at scrum time than anything more during open play.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

PeteIRL wrote: February 12th, 2024, 8:49 am
Observingprop123 wrote: February 11th, 2024, 11:20 pm Watching the rugby this weekend I really do wonder why the TMO doesn't get involved in Jackal calls with hands on the floor. Makes no sense to me why the Referee can't just say that's a penalty, the TMO will quickly check if there was hands on the floor or not. I understand that we don't want the TMO checking everything but there's been a world cup arguably decided by it, (Penalty against Savea that Pollard converted, SA win by 1) and we have been shafted by it(Ala'alatoa in Marseille). It would take 30 seconds and that decision is usually the difference in 60ms of territory, if not 80 for the opposing teams( plus 40 metres if its your pen, minus 40 if its the opposition).

You have to draw the line somewhere with the TMO. The game would grind to a halt. I'd rather they get involved at scrum time than anything more during open play.
I agree, I'm not sure if TMOs would do all that much to move the dial when it comes to refereeing the scrum.
Ze Stade Fan
Learner

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Scotland vs France
Now, whaddya mean “jammy b$&%@#ds”? France fully deserved the win and the fact that the referee’s family was kidnapped prior to the game is in no way linked to the outcome of the match. Furthermore, the police have no information about the man or woman or chimpanzee who wrote “we know where your kids go to school” on the TMO’s car.
France’s game plan came from mastermind, superior brain, big glasses Galthié with some input from Bill Shankly: “Kick and rush, chance your luck”. Evidence of the class and efficiency of this plan lies in the position of Everton FC on the Premier League table, but let’s get back to the matter.
There’s a saying here about our cousins from across the Alps. It goes like this “what’s an Italian? A Frenchman in a good mood.” I don’t know if they are happy but they buried in fashion the last although flimsy hopes of the French winning this bloody tournament. Now if you lads don’ beat the English, we won’t release Mr Berry’s wife. Brace yerself Sheila, the suspense is at its max!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: February 12th, 2024, 8:52 am

I agree, I'm not sure if TMOs would do all that much to move the dial when it comes to refereeing the scrum.
The overhead view of the scrum can be very informative.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

... and world rugby is trying to speed the game up not slow it down further.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
enby
Mullet

Post by enby »

I see Ireland are 1/7 to win 6N. After 2 matches.

Normally there is nothing better than seeing overwhelming favourites getting hosed by an outsider. This year lets hope its different and David can take a beating and we can wallow in wonder at the greatness of Goliath.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Didn't record the Scotland v France but was there not a Scots knockon about 10meters out in the lead up to the non try at the end
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
PeteIRL
Knowledgeable

Post by PeteIRL »

Oldschool wrote: February 12th, 2024, 9:25 am Didn't record the Scotland v France but was there not a Scots knockon about 10meters out in the lead up to the non try at the end
The one by Kyle Rowe on 79 minutes?
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

One thing I think needs to be commended is how the two captains reacted at the very end. No triumphalism by France and no bitching by Scotland. Good to see.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

PeteIRL wrote: February 12th, 2024, 10:24 am
Oldschool wrote: February 12th, 2024, 9:25 am Didn't record the Scotland v France but was there not a Scots knockon about 10meters out in the lead up to the non try at the end
The one by Kyle Rowe on 79 minutes?
That sounds about right, ta.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Looking at the overall 6 nations and the criticism of Casey I was looking at the other 9's in the tournament and most seem to be bang-average at best at the moment. England had to bring back Danny Care who is not exactly a spring chicken. It looked like the welsh 9 was purposely throwing the ball at his players shoelaces on several occasions during the England game. Italys' Varney is AIL level. Lucu is having problems as the french press will tell you in detail and Scotland's White is good but not world class.

Apart from our boys and Dupont there doesn't seem to be any great scrumhalves in Northern Hemishere rugby. Is this how the game is gone or is there other factors at play?
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Here's a question for the purists/traditionalists out there. On Saturday Scotland, at home, wore their home kit. What went on there? Has it not always been the case of the home side wearing their away kit when their home kit clashes or matches with the oppositions home kit. In other words Scotland should have worn their away kit, no?
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

offshorerules wrote:Here's a question for the purists/traditionalists out there. On Saturday Scotland, at home, wore their home kit. What went on there? Has it not always been the case of the home side wearing their away kit when their home kit clashes or matches with the oppositions home kit. In other words Scotland should have worn their away kit, no?
It was noted on commentary that it was the first time Scotland have played in blue Vs France in murryfield

Didn't give a reason though

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

The Doc wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:15 pm
offshorerules wrote:Here's a question for the purists/traditionalists out there. On Saturday Scotland, at home, wore their home kit. What went on there? Has it not always been the case of the home side wearing their away kit when their home kit clashes or matches with the oppositions home kit. In other words Scotland should have worn their away kit, no?
It was noted on commentary that it was the first time Scotland have played in blue Vs France in murryfield

It's a strange one isn't it?
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

I was thinking about it and the only thing I can come up with is because they launched a new Jersey at the World Cup and wanted to give it a run out in front of the Home Fans.

If my memory serves Ireland did this against South Africa a few years ago.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

IanD wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:21 pm

I was thinking about it and the only thing I can come up with is because they launched a new Jersey at the World Cup and wanted to give it a run out in front of the Home Fans.

Really? No memory of that. Any idea what year?
naraic
Enlightened

Post by naraic »

offshorerules wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:28 pm
The Doc wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:15 pm It was noted on commentary that it was the first time Scotland have played in blue Vs France in murryfield

In 2010 we wore green against South Africa. Not sure if that was the reasoning.

http://en.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/128633.html

Edit: South Africa agreed that we would wear green to celebrate the opening on the aviva.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

naraic wrote: February 12th, 2024, 1:16 pm
offshorerules wrote: February 12th, 2024, 12:28 pm

In 2010 we wore green against South Africa. Not sure if that was the reasoning.

http://en.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/128633.html

Edit: South Africa agreed that we would wear green to celebrate the opening on the aviva.
Interesting, I wonder what the Scots reasoning was. A new jersey doesn't seem like a big enough deal to me.