Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: 6 Nations 2023 - Ireland

Post by cormac »

riocard911 wrote: March 30th, 2023, 9:22 am
Flash Gordon wrote: March 30th, 2023, 9:05 am
Dave Cahill wrote: March 27th, 2023, 5:58 pm And to put the importance of the World Cup to our finances into context, if we win the World Cup it will cost us roughly €10m
Correct. Every 4 years you see people talking about prioritising the world cup and using the 6 Nations as as a prep tournament for the RWC whereas the reality is that the 6 Nations is the richest rugby tournament in the world and the thing that finances everything - not just Ireland but the provinces and all the investment in clubs, schools, womens' game, refs - everything.

Clearly there's an upside in potential commercial revenue but world cup years are not good years commercially for the IRFU.
Pardon my ignorance. I would have thought the income via TV broadcasting rights and advertising rights for the the RWC was huge. Is it not that big? Or where does that money go?
World Rugby
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

cormac wrote: March 30th, 2023, 9:23 am

Correct. Every 4 years you see people talking about prioritising the world cup and using the 6 Nations as as a prep tournament for the RWC whereas the reality is that the 6 Nations is the richest rugby tournament in the world and the thing that finances everything - not just Ireland but the provinces and all the investment in clubs, schools, womens' game, refs - everything.

Clearly there's an upside in potential commercial revenue but world cup years are not good years commercially for the IRFU.
Pardon my ignorance. I would have thought the income via TV broadcasting rights and advertising rights for the the RWC was huge. Is it not that big? Or where does that money go?
World Rugby
And that's the difference, the Unions own the 6 Nations so the money goes to them. That's the danger of selling chunks to the likes of CVC. Very appealing to the English to plug their finance gap and for all given the impact of covid but long term that's a pretty dangerous road to go down.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

World Rugby
Gotcha. Grma!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

World Rugby
From where it's used to finance rugby in developing areas around the world e.g. Georgia & Zimbabwe to name two places, I know of at present.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

John Ryan holding his place in Chiefs front-row again and plays 53 mins. Chiefs ahead in last quarter by 20-13 as they try to hold their spot on top of League. Looking at his team's players like Cane & Retallick, he's certainly acquiring first hand IP about top NZ players.

Six wins in a row for Chiefs. A Province record and still on top.