Emerging Ireland to tour SA

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Emerging Ireland to tour SA

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 16th, 2022, 10:06 am For a long time there's been a growing voice that we don't take the RWC seriously enough and that's why we can't break the Q/F ceiling. Now we're really focusing all of the professional rugby resources on RWC, people are complaining about the impact on the Provincial game.

Let's give it a go and support Emerging Ireland Tour and the game against NZ XV and see what the outcome is. I get it that it's a risk, but that's what sport at the top level is about, risk and reward / disaster.
+1. :happy clapper: :clap: :green clap:
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 16th, 2022, 10:06 am For a long time there's been a growing voice that we don't take the RWC seriously enough and that's why we can't break the Q/F ceiling. Now we're really focusing all of the professional rugby resources on RWC, people are complaining about the impact on the Provincial game.

Let's give it a go and support Emerging Ireland Tour and the game against NZ XV and see what the outcome is. I get it that it's a risk, but that's what sport at the top level is about, risk and reward / disaster.
This tour will have f**k all impact on us getting out of our group, unless you think Balacoune now knowing how many socks to pack is going to tip us over the edge.

I'm totally bullish on our RWC chances and i love how Faz is being thorough and innovative. He's also placing a huge premium on how players psychologically handle themselves in tournament environments.

So i can just about see the merit if i squint hard enough. I just don't think they outweigh the demerits for the IRFU in having another disrupted league right off the bat.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ciarán Frawley, Caolin Blade, Alex Soroka, and Alex Kendellen have been ruled out of Emerging Ireland’s tour of SA.

Cathal Forde, Ben Murphy and David McCann called up to the squad.

Murray K on Twitter.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Fairly big step down in experience in the squad. To me it changes the dynamic of the tour somewhat.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote: September 26th, 2022, 6:04 am Fairly big step down in experience in the squad. To me it changes the dynamic of the tour somewhat.
It's a great opportunity for Jack Crowley, who is a really talented outhalf. We will still be able to field an exciting team.

Backs [15-9]: Jamie Osborne, Robert Baloucoune, Shane Daly, Stewart Moore, Ethan McIlroy, Jack Crowley, Nathan Doak;
Forwards [1-8]: Josh Wycherly, Tom Stewart, Tom Clarkson, Tom Ahern, Joe McCarthy, Cian Prendergast, Scott Penny, Max Deegan;
Subs [16-23]: Diarmuid Barron, Michael Milne, Roman Salanoa, Brian Deeny, Cormac Izuchukwu, John Hodnett, Ben Murphy, Calvin Nash.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's no less exciting, Soroka is a loss in that department.

Frawley has over 60 caps for Leinster and him going on tour was to give him a look at 10. It changes a lot that he's not going. Blade was an odd one for the tour. He's far older and more experienced. He's played for Connacht over 150 times. Most players don't hit that their whole career. Ireland have loads of scrumhalves, so this tour gives him a chance to make a play to move up the depth chart but probably still end up outside the RWC squad. An experienced scrumhalf can do a lot to hold together a young scratch team. Replacing him with Murphy is a huge switch. But really the focus now is Doak.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Is Frawley injured or is he just needed at Leinster?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Twist wrote: September 26th, 2022, 9:31 am Is Frawley injured or is he just needed at Leinster?
Injured. Required surgery that will rule him out until November
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Anyone know if these games are on t'telly?
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 26th, 2022, 10:25 am Anyone know if these games are on t'telly?
I believe they're on SA telly and streamed on YouTube up here.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote: September 26th, 2022, 10:37 am
Dave Cahill wrote: September 26th, 2022, 10:25 am Anyone know if these games are on t'telly?
I believe they're on SA telly and streamed on YouTube up here.
Excellent, thanks!
I have Bumbleflex
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Supersport in South Africa and live streaming TBC by IRFU later in week.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

They'll be streamed on irighrugby.ie!

Article from IRFU website
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Laighin Break wrote: September 27th, 2022, 10:07 am They'll be streamed on irighrugby.ie!

Article from IRFU website
That's a great bit of information, thanks.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

First Game On Supersport Grandstand if you have SA channels
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Sounds like the Griquas are sending out a "B" side at best. I don't get this tour at all.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Keith wrote: September 29th, 2022, 9:40 am Sounds like the Griquas are sending out a "B" side at best. I don't get this tour at all.
https://twitter.com/GriquasRugby/status ... 0UWOXBU0lA

5 players making debut in starting XV, another 2 on the bench.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

neill_m wrote: September 29th, 2022, 10:51 am
Keith wrote: September 29th, 2022, 9:40 am Sounds like the Griquas are sending out a "B" side at best. I don't get this tour at all.
https://twitter.com/GriquasRugby/status ... 0UWOXBU0lA

5 players making debut in starting XV, another 2 on the bench.
They also have two of their star back line players out on loan with the Lions and a whole host of injuries according to the 42.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Team

Shane Daly; Calvin Nash, Jamie Osborne, Stewart Moore, Rob Baloucoune; Jack Crowley, Nathan Doak; Josh Wycherly, Tom Stewart, Tom Clarkson; Joe McCarthy, Tom Ahern; David McCann, Scott Penny, Max Deegan

Bench: Diarmuid Barron, Michael Milne, Roman Salanoa, Brian Deeny, John Hodnett, Michael McDonald, Jake Flannery, Antoine Frisch
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Max to captain, fair play.

Some great talent in that side, particularly 1-5 and 9-13.