Tour to NZ 2022

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Tour to NZ 2022

Post by riocard911 »

Disappointed for Harry, but delighted for Frawley. Who knows? Maybe he'll do an "Ollie Campbell goes to Australia"..... Fingers crossed for the BIG ar aon nós!!!!
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Can't decide if its inspired selection or madness going that callow. Our backrow looks tasty in fairness. Will be watching how Hume goes without SMcC holding his hand, Bundee's passes/offloads wont be anywhere near as sympathetic. Tight five as a unit a bit underwhelming and underpowered. Huge ask of McCarthy to hold that together on his first cap. Big opportunity for Ciaran Frawley to show what he can do. Best of luck to all those making their debut and indeed all of the team. Looks like Farrell going all out for development in the Maori games which is good to see, but means a decent result will be hard to come by.
Weather forecast showers and southwesterlies, wind all the way from Antarctica. Lovely. Should suit the Connacht guys anyway.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Who will be calling lineouts I wonder?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

TMC wrote: June 28th, 2022, 9:38 am . Tight five as a unit a bit underwhelming and underpowered.
That's pretty much a comment on the Irish depth chart.

A few options sitting at home but wouldn't exactly transform it.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Apologies if noted elsewhere but what time (Irish time) is this kicking off tomorrow?
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

ronk wrote: June 28th, 2022, 10:13 am
TMC wrote: June 28th, 2022, 9:38 am . Tight five as a unit a bit underwhelming and underpowered.

I don't get Farrell's enthusiasm for Treadwell who is more often on the bench for Ulster than a starter.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

LeinsterLeader wrote: June 28th, 2022, 10:43 am Apologies if noted elsewhere but what time (Irish time) is this kicking off tomorrow?
8.05 AM
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

berliner wrote: June 28th, 2022, 10:43 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: June 28th, 2022, 10:43 am Apologies if noted elsewhere but what time (Irish time) is this kicking off tomorrow?
8.05 AM
Cheers mate!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I don't get Farrell's enthusiasm for Treadwell who is more often on the bench for Ulster than a starter.
I rate Treadwell I must say, certainly far higher than AOC. Schmidt seemed to rate him too.

He's got a nice athletic profile, hits hard, good lineout jumper and can play the TH lock role also.

I wonder is part of the reason he doesn't play for Ulster that he's too similar in style to Hendo and they both play in the #5 jersey?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Really excited to see Joe McCarthy given a start at #4 also. Might make him even more free to get around the park and carry/tackle.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

O'Toole and McCarthy have big potential. Loughman, Heffernan and Treadwell are experienced squad players and it's up to others to overtake them. The backrow is very exciting though. So of the whole pack there are 5 players who are in the potential category and 3 who are solid pros. In years gone an ireland A squad would be mostly made up of experienced players.

The backline is the same. Just Aki and Earls with the experience.

I think they'll beat the Maori which will be a good start.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Atlas wrote: June 28th, 2022, 8:45 am Apparently Byrne had a hamstring issue so Frawley is in at 10.
One man's hamstring issue is another man's opportunity.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote: June 28th, 2022, 10:56 am

I rate Treadwell I must say, certainly far higher than AOC. Schmidt seemed to rate him too.

He's got a nice athletic profile, hits hard, good lineout jumper and can play the TH lock role also.

I wonder is part of the reason he doesn't play for Ulster that he's too similar in style to Hendo and they both play in the #5 jersey?
Much more likely because AO'C calls line-outs and Treadwell has never done that for Ulster.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TBH I'd be much more worried about our lineout execution than about who calls the lineouts.
Who's the pack leader is also more of a concern.
Coombes?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Oldschool wrote: June 28th, 2022, 5:33 pm TBH I'd be much more worried about our lineout execution than about who calls the lineouts.
Coombes?
The pack leader has to be Heffernan. He's the oldest player by four years and by a long distance the most experienced – 160+ first class games under his belt. If he doesn't recognise that he has to lead, he doesn't belong there.

To be frank, I think this is a bad pack selection – no lineout caller, no pack leader. I didn't mean to re-litigate the squad selection, but it would look a lot cleverer with Ross Molony in there ahead of Treadwell.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm guessing Baird or Beirne were meant to start this one but then couldn't when Henderson got injured. Very surprised that we haven't heard of a replacement flying out for Henderson, you'd have to think we'll need another body there. I can see Coombes covering second row at some stage but it's not like we've an excess of back rowers either.

I'm usually optimistic when it comes to Ireland but I'm getting bad vibes about the whole tour. That said, I've said many times that after the last world cup we needed to stop planning every little detail and be happy to roll with the punches so maybe now is the time to do that and if we can manage to put in a few big performances then it'll really be a big step forward. I guess the general performance and result against the Maori isn't even that important, if say TOT, Coombes, and Frawley all played well then that'd be huge for the strength of the first choice 23.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Wow, I think this is a massively exciting team, loaded with players capable of big-game moments.

Hugely interested to see how they go. A lot of determined, hungry characters in there who won't be happy to stay dirt-trackers.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

hugonaut wrote: June 28th, 2022, 6:49 pm
Oldschool wrote: June 28th, 2022, 5:33 pm TBH I'd be much more worried about our lineout execution than about who calls the lineouts.
Coombes?
The pack leader has to be Heffernan. He's the oldest player by four years and by a long distance the most experienced – 160+ first class games under his belt. If he doesn't recognise that he has to lead, he doesn't belong there.

To be frank, I think this is a bad pack selection – no lineout caller, no pack leader. I didn't mean to re-litigate the squad selection, but it would look a lot cleverer with Ross Molony in there ahead of Treadwell.
Or Thornbury, but he returned too late to lay out his hand. Heffernan is good around the pitch but you can rely on a couple of his darts going astray, although that seems to be a hallmark of our hookers except for Herring. Still very excited to see that back row.
Last edited by berliner on June 28th, 2022, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlas
Bookworm

Post by Atlas »

I'm surprised JOB was picked ahead of Lowry.

I thought JOB was poor in our semi final loss. He kicked 1 out on the full, spilled a high ball and didn't look too good sliding down to collect the ball just before half time and failing to do so.

Lowry looks very exciting going forward and could play that second playmaker role well. Think he earned that 15 position ahead of JOB over the course of the season. Hopefully he gets plenty of time of the bench
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

If you look at it this way;

Loughman is fighting to be on the plane to the RWC.

Heffernan and Herring are duking it out for third hooker

TOT is the rising star to be #2 THP

Joe is making a Ryan-like charge and is a candidate for starting TH lock at the RWC

Timoney is prob the heir apparent to Josh

Prendergast is gunning for starting 6

Coombes is gunning for starting 8

Casey is hoping to leapfrog Murray to #2 SH

Frawley is the Great Ginger Hope to replace Sexton

Aki is a genuine candidate to be starting 12

Hume is nipping at Ringer's heels to be #1 13

Larmour wants his RW slot back

Earls.wants his LW.slot back

Jimmy OB has a chance to cement #2 FB

Some of these watered down teams in years past would have had guys who were never likely to make it as a regular but who deserved a crack in a test. This team is all guys who are pushing on the door to start and/or go to the RWC.

I think it'll be a fascinating game and I'd fancy us for that reason.