2021 Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: 2021 Lions

Post by Dexter »

neill_m wrote: August 4th, 2021, 9:25 am
hugonaut wrote: August 4th, 2021, 8:16 am
Dexter wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 6:07 pm

The article I read said Sinckler flat out denied it and the committee couldn't find any evidence of it happening (video footage etc.)

Makes you wonder why he was cited!
Especially with all the other shenanigans.
I thought that the citing commissioner would have to have had compelling evidence showing Sinckler biting in order to cite him. It's a serious accusation from an official; that role has real weight in rugby.

"Mostert looks at his arm" as he gets up from a ruck is not a slam dunk case. I'm not a big Sinckler fan, but he has been badly served here.
Does the Citing Commissioner not have access to additional tv angles which we aren't allowed to see from host broadcaster? If so surely on the basis of those they made their judgement, which the panel didn't agree with. I hope they didn't make the recommendation on the basis of the general tv footage...
Yeah I would have thought so too. But biting isn't a grey area, either he bit him or he didn't. Surely you need something concrete to raise the citing.
I'm also not a big fan of Sinckler, but this one seems a tad off...
Dont Panic!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Some of the evidence, e.g. testimony is only available after the citing.

I once got accused by an opposition player of biting. I turned around to the ref, did a huge smile, he saw my gumshield still in and let the game continue.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dexter wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 6:07 pm

The article I read said Sinckler flat out denied it and the committee couldn't find any evidence of it happening (video footage etc.)

Makes you wonder why he was cited!
Especially with all the other shenanigans.
I thought that the citing commissioner would have to have had compelling evidence showing Sinckler biting in order to cite him. It's a serious accusation from an official; that role has real weight in rugby.

"Mostert looks at his arm" as he gets up from a ruck is not a slam dunk case. I'm not a big Sinckler fan, but he has been badly served here.
Does the Citing Commissioner not have access to additional tv angles which we aren't allowed to see from host broadcaster? If so surely on the basis of those they made their judgement, which the panel didn't agree with. I hope they didn't make the recommendation on the basis of the general tv footage...
I have the strong feeling that if the host broadcaster had captured footage of Sinckler biting Mostert, it would have been either shown at the time or leaked following the citing. They were very quick to show Itoje kneeling on de Allende's neck in slow motion ... and in reality that was over in about two seconds.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

I see one of the owners of one of the SA clubs has said they are going to bring in "US lawyers" to support Rassie - according to them they plan to put the "IRB on trial" (sic) - they seem to think they can change jurisdiction to SA because they seem to confuse a sports code of conduct with criminal proceedings.

While the whole thing is nonsense - it's starting to feel we are dealing witht he Nigel's all over again. I worry for the new league if this is the sort of shite we're going to have to deal with
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I hear that they are going to unleash the kraken
I have Bumbleflex
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

hugonaut wrote: August 5th, 2021, 6:51 am

I have the strong feeling that if the host broadcaster had captured footage of Sinckler biting Mostert, it would have been either shown at the time or leaked following the citing. They were very quick to show Itoje kneeling on de Allende's neck in slow motion ... and in reality that was over in about two seconds.
It appears that next season is going to be a nightmare with regards to social media - the South African twitterati appear to be as bad as, if not worse than, certain section of the Welsh support!!! They were so indignant about Itoje's knee but there wasn't a mention about De Allende apparently spitting in Itoje's face
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Xanthippe wrote: August 5th, 2021, 11:57 am

It appears that next season is going to be a nightmare with regards to social media - the South African twitterati appear to be as bad as, if not worse than, certain section of the Welsh support!!! They were so indignant about Itoje's knee but there wasn't a mention about De Allende apparently spitting in Itoje's face
No one is as bad as us :) if there were a world championship of on line idiots we would win it every time, lets not forget we have the likes of Phil BB to call upon the barry john of being an on line fool!
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

JB1973 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sP2fs50W6s

Is the "bite" incident
From watching the clip, would be much more concerned at Watson's attempt at fielding the box kick. Have seen lads dropped from junior club teams for less.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

JB1973 wrote: August 5th, 2021, 12:16 pm

No one is as bad as us :) if there were a world championship of on line idiots we would win it every time, lets not forget we have the likes of Phil BB to call upon the barry john of being an on line fool!
:lol:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

JB1973 wrote:
hugonaut wrote: August 5th, 2021, 6:51 am I have the strong feeling that if the host broadcaster had captured footage of Sinckler biting Mostert, it would have been either shown at the time or leaked following the citing. They were very quick to show Itoje kneeling on de Allende's neck in slow motion ... and in reality that was over in about two seconds.
Mind you... Phill Vs Bok Twitter could be great viewing

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 5th, 2021, 10:22 am I hear that they are going to unleash the kraken
Perseus is the man for that problem.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

The Doc wrote: August 5th, 2021, 10:00 am I see one of the owners of one of the SA clubs has said they are going to bring in "US lawyers" to support Rassie - according to them they plan to put the "IRB on trial" (sic) - they seem to think they can change jurisdiction to SA because they seem to confuse a sports code of conduct with criminal proceedings.

While the whole thing is nonsense - it's starting to feel we are dealing witht he Nigel's all over again. I worry for the new league if this is the sort of shite we're going to have to deal with
Rudi Giuliani has some space in his diary these days. Just the man for the job
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Interesting back story to the NY lawyer dude, who offered to ride shotgun with Rassie in his showdown with WR. Marco Masotti has Italian heritage but grew up in Durban, which is why the fund he's involved in in the States has invested in the Sharks franchise. The following article is informative, seeing as how we're gonna be coming up against these guys and the other three SA franchises in the URC soon...

https://www.iol.co.za/sunday-tribune/ne ... 93234e0afc
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Lions front-row inadequate and yet another 2nd half collapse. Well done to Russell for providing some direction but Price was kept on for 20 mins too long. Henshaw & Conan showed well and Furlong did some good things but not his carrying which didn't use enough footwork.

A tour that has thankfully ended. I hope the Irish players involved have a really decent break out of any bubble.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Not taking the penalty kicks on offer in such a tight game was nuts. Gatland made some shocking selection errors which killed their chance of beating the Boks. Russell was so positive today.

Dreadful series played by 2 uber negative sides.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

yeh kinda glad that's over. Was really hard work to watch those games.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Quite pleased I didn’t.

Biennial World Cup. Biennial World Cup. Biennial World Cup. Try saying no and I’ll just talk over you.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Our four lads coming back in good health hopefully, which is good.

Should give Jack a great boost to have been starting Lions 8 in three tests. He was really good again today.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: August 7th, 2021, 7:35 pm Our four lads coming back in good health hopefully, which is good.

Should give Jack a great boost to have been starting Lions 8 in three tests. He was really good again today.
Conan's performances and the accompanying recognition are really the only positive I take from this tour.