2021 Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Re: 2021 Lions

Post by JB1973 »

Odd selection 11 English 10 Welsh 8 Irish and 8 Scots

Some big names missing Sexton Ryan Billy v and John Davies , a few there I wouldn't have taken and a few left at home I would have taken

Anyhow good luck to them let's hope we can get a series win
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:52 pm Delighted for Jack Conan and Bundee Aki

Gutted for the other lads - presume some of them will be holidaying in Lesotho entirely coincidentally
Didn't even consider either of them. Delighted for them both, finally Jack catches a break.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

JB1973 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:05 pm Odd selection 11 English 10 Welsh 8 Irish and 8 Scots

Some big names missing Sexton Ryan Billy v and John Davies , a few there I wouldn't have taken and a few left at home I would have taken

Anyhow good luck to them let's hope we can get a series win
Sinckler missing as well. I thought he was a certainty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think Doris would be there if he'd been able to play over the last few months and wouldn't even be surprised if Jack finds it hard to get his Leinster place back after his extended break. That's not a slight on Jack, I'm delighted he's there and he deserves it but it's just funny how fluid our back row situation is!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:11 pm I think Doris would be there if he'd been able to play over the last few months and wouldn't even be surprised if Jack finds it hard to get his Leinster place back after his extended break. That's not a slight on Jack, I'm delighted he's there and he deserves it but it's just funny how fluid our back row situation is!
And possibly Dan Leavy too. for club and country you really need 2 sets of international class backrowers because the position is so attritional.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:11 pm I think Doris would be there if he'd been able to play over the last few months and wouldn't even be surprised if Jack finds it hard to get his Leinster place back after his extended break. That's not a slight on Jack, I'm delighted he's there and he deserves it but it's just funny how fluid our back row situation is!
Yeah, Doris would have been ahead of him but he's been excellent.

I'm not surprised to say the least about Johnny, James, and Garry missing. They don't have the body of work and Sextons durability is a fatal concern in a smaller squad. Fair play to Aki, didn't see that one coming to be honest. Kelleher and Healy are the unlucky Leinster players for me. Kelleher will have the opportunity to make them regret it in the future.

The backs are just there to hit rucks and people in a Gatland lions squad.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Oh yeha, Kelleher was the one omission that I don't understand. Especially when LCD got in ahead of him. Maybe the lineout inconsistency counted against him?
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

5 players from the English championship, maybe he should have picked a few from the AIL as well.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Barry wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:43 pm 5 players from the English championship, maybe he should have picked a few from the AIL as well.

Most of them looked well off the pace for England, find that hard to understand, especially Daly when there were clear alternatives.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Yeah, I mean you can imagine Itoje will come good and stop being such a penalty machine (though not to his top form) but Daly? I guess he'll be less disinterested in the Lions with graduated pay?
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Not enough enforcers in that squad to beat a team of Afrikaners.

Taxi...
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

OTT wrote: May 6th, 2021, 2:11 pm Not enough enforcers in that squad to beat a team of Afrikaners.

Taxi...
Jamie George could cause minor inconvenience by acting as a speed bump.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Logorrhea wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:36 pm Oh yeha, Kelleher was the one omission that I don't understand. Especially when LCD got in ahead of him. Maybe the lineout inconsistency counted against him?
Hardly matters with Gatty and 13 punters in his line-out now does it?! :wink:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

From a Leinster perspective not sorry to see Jonno, Ringer u& Ryan omitted and delighted to see Conan & Porter included. Kelleher did more than enough to get selected but maybe Gatland saw a lot of his throwing in that Irish Camp pre the English game.

Some real strange ommisions:

Centres: No Slade, Ringer or JJV Davies - who will Russell pass to?

LHP: Porter's debut might be in No 17 shirt
THP: leaving out Sinclair evokes a smile but it's still a strange call.

2nd Row: selecting Hill rather than Ryan or Gray is last year's form

Back-row: Leaving Billy V behind is very strange.

Overall Surprises
In Bundle, Daley, Harris, Price, Russell, Lawes, Hill, Sutherland

Out: Slade, Ringrose, May, Sexton, Vunipola B,
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

One for the anoraks. Is Bundee the first Connacht Lion since... Ciaran Fitzgerald? Or who am I missing?
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

How did Slade not get it? Most people had him down to start. Such a strange selection.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Last year I thought Tuilagi, Ringrose and Slade would all be traveling. No idea who’s gonna start 13 now
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

John o Driscoll and Ciaran Fitzgerald in 83
Ray McLoughlin before them in 66 and 71.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 6th, 2021, 2:36 pm From a Leinster perspective not sorry to see Jonno, Ringer u& Ryan omitted and delighted to see Conan & Porter included. Kelleher did more than enough to get selected but maybe Gatland saw a lot of his throwing in that Irish Camp pre the English game.

Some real strange ommisions:

Centres: No Slade, Ringer or JJV Davies - who will Russell pass to?

LHP: Porter's debut might be in No 17 shirt
THP: leaving out Sinclair evokes a smile but it's still a strange call.

2nd Row: selecting Hill rather than Ryan or Gray is last year's form

Back-row: Leaving Billy V behind is very strange.

Overall Surprises
In Bundle, Daley, Harris, Price, Russell, Lawes, Hill, Sutherland

Out: Slade, Ringrose, May, Sexton, Vunipola B,
I don’t think Finn Russell deserves to start he made way too many errors during the six nations and missed a lot of kicks. He’s the type of guy who would have a real good highlights video because he does a lot of risky stuff but majority of the time he makes too many mistakes. He’s not reliable at all.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Barry wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:43 pm 5 players from the English championship, maybe he should have picked a few from the AIL as well.

:lol: :lol: :lol: