2021 Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: 2021 Lions

Post by Dexter »

When the SH opted for the tap pen and was called back for it being taken from the wrong place, they're allowed change their mind and kick instead??
Genuine question as I've no idea.
Dont Panic!
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

riocard911 wrote: August 7th, 2021, 7:48 pm Conan's performances and the accompanying recognition are really the only positive I take from this tour.
agree 100% conan was brilliant in all three tests. he did have a knock-on today but that was the only mistake I can think of for three tests
Henshaw raised the bar for irish backs too. He was incredible for the tour. quality

I feel a little sorry for liam williams....he fluffed a 7-pointer in the first half when he didn't pass to adams who was clear. He may get some stick but more from himself than fans. He has been a brilliant lion over the years and his dancing to setup SOB for a brilliant try back in 2017.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dexter wrote: August 7th, 2021, 8:43 pm When the SH opted for the tap pen and was called back for it being taken from the wrong place, they're allowed change their mind and kick instead??
Yes. Happens loads in games. The pen isn’t taken if it’s called back so the team can decide what to do with it.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote: August 7th, 2021, 9:00 pm
Dexter wrote: August 7th, 2021, 8:43 pm When the SH opted for the tap pen and was called back for it being taken from the wrong place, they're allowed change their mind and kick instead??
Yes. Happens loads in games. The pen isn’t taken if it’s called back so the team can decide what to do with it.
Ah ok thanks.
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

We were caught out by the lack of depth at loosehead. There was nothing in the squad really behind Wyn Jones.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Morne Steyn is 37, Sexton is 36. Just saying.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Dave Cahill wrote: August 7th, 2021, 9:09 pm We were caught out by the lack of depth at loosehead. There was nothing in the squad really behind Wyn Jones.
The decision not to bring Healy is perplexing.

Sutherland is absolutely dreadful.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

ronk wrote: August 8th, 2021, 12:40 am Morne Steyn is 37, Sexton is 36. Just saying.
In fairness, Jonny is built of glass these days. Steyn may not be massive, but he's tough Boer stuff.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Small margins in the end. Liam Williams butched a chance after good play while the Boks got one chance from a kick and took it.

I'd agree that the quality of loosehead was costly but I thought the scrum was on top in the first half, put the Boks under pressure but the ref was just resetting it. At one stage the scrum wheeled by SA and the Boks got the penalty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

That game was much, much more enjoyable than anything else I watched from that tour. Finn Russell went considerably up my estimation. He played really, really well. Passing like Sexton at his best.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Refereeing of the scrum was inconsistent and possibly guesswork. This is partially based on a (virtual and at distance) assessment of the state of the pitch, which was sub-standard in patches for all three Tests.

The more I watch and the older I get, the greater is the desire to see every technical infringement awarded merely a Free Kick. Awarding a penalty based on an assessment by one person (albeit a skilled & experienced professional Referee) that any one of six players infringed on purpose, rather than suffered the vagaries of the surface is too big a gamble to justify continuing to award penalties which can score points or allow the relief of attacking pressure by 50+ metres.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

CiaranIrl wrote: August 8th, 2021, 1:18 pm That game was much, much more enjoyable than anything else I watched from that tour. Finn Russell went considerably up my estimation. He played really, really well. Passing like Sexton at his best.
And yet time in play was a miserable 26 mins and 22 seconds, four minutes less than the appalling second test, according to Murray Kinsella: https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... 9496921088
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote: August 8th, 2021, 3:37 pm Refereeing of the scrum was inconsistent and possibly guesswork. This is partially based on a (virtual and at distance) assessment of the state of the pitch, which was sub-standard in patches for all three Tests.

The more I watch and the older I get, the greater is the desire to see every technical infringement awarded merely a Free Kick. Awarding a penalty based on an assessment by one person (albeit a skilled & experienced professional Referee) that any one of six players infringed on purpose, rather than suffered the vagaries of the surface is too big a gamble to justify continuing to award penalties which can score points or allow the relief of attacking pressure by 50+ metres.
south african feed to the scrum was as crooked as I have ever seen it
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

very proud of the leinster lions who did really well. Furlong (as always) and conan were superb in all three tests. As was henshaw. Aki did well when given the chance.

probably a good thing that tour wasn't on free-to-air telly. It was tense watching it as a fan but truly dire stuff from both sides for the most part. channel4 highlights are so short, the pundits pad out the hour show as best they can alongside extra ad breaks.

Hope williams doesn't get too much criticism for the seven-pointer he fluffed with adams outside....he has been an excellent lion over the years and I still remember his mazy run to setup SOB in 2017.

But Currys brainfart when the ruck was rolling towards the line for a seven pointer - he broke and took out kolisi in front of the ball - was unforgivable. WTF was he thinking?

only 3 points in it but fair play to finn russell for showing us what might have been with different tactics.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Ruckedtobits wrote: August 8th, 2021, 3:37 pm
This. It's difficult to see many of these offences as being worthy of a 3 point tariff, long been a bugbear of mine.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Although referees regularly call back players for taking a tap penalty from the wrong place, the actual sanction in law is a scrum to the opposition. I can find no record of this Law being altered, either specifically or by "new interpretation".

This decision, following on the penalisation of the Lions' front-row at an attacking scrum, was a further example of the arbitrary nature of key decisions throughout this Series.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote: August 9th, 2021, 8:18 am
Although referees regularly call back players for taking a tap penalty from the wrong place, the actual sanction in law is a scrum to the opposition. I can find no record of this Law being altered, either specifically or by "new interpretation".

This decision, following on the penalisation of the Lions' front-row at an attacking scrum, was a further example of the arbitrary nature of key decisions throughout this Series.
Yeah, I always remember if penalty is tapped at the wrong mark it was a turnover free kick or scrum, that’s from when I played anyway. Maybe Rassi will highlight it in his next whinge-fest
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Well thank God that sh!t show is over and it appears that all the Irish lads escaped injury free. They won’t be back for us for a couple of months at least.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

the spoofer wrote: August 9th, 2021, 9:56 am Well thank God that sh!t show is over and it appears that all the Irish lads escaped injury free. They won’t be back for us for a couple of months at least.
+1 :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Annoyed and frustrated that we managed to lose that test, liam blew a simple two on one, curry cost us another driving line out try and neither sub prop could scrimmage

I know it's not the done thing but we should have played furlong for the full 80 on Saturday

Worrying stat for me we scored two trys in 3 tests both from driving line outs, I know the boks have a good defence but that says a lot about the lions back play and tactical approach to the game

I do hope world rugby come down hard on Erasmus , he is an excellent coach but his video rant has no place in rugby

I also think it's time the lions looked for a new head coach for the next series, your man Cullen and the Exeter guy Baxter would be well in the frame a lot can happen in 4 years!