2021 Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: 2021 Lions

Post by neill_m »

All kick off times - Irish Time

Sat Jun 26 3pm British & Irish Lions v Japan Edinburgh Channel 4
Sat Jul 3 5pm Lions v British & Irish Lions Johannesburg Sky Sports / Highlights on All4
Wed Jul 7 7pm Sharks v British & Irish Lions Johannesburg Sky Sports / Highlights on All4
Sat Jul 10 5pm Bulls v British & Irish Lions Pretoria Sky Sports / Highlights on All 4
Wed Jul 14 7pm South Africa A v British & Irish Lions Cape Town Sky Sports / Highlights on All 4
Sat Jul 17 5pm Stormers v British & Irish Lions Cape Town Sky Sports / Highlights on All 4
Sat Jul 24 5pm South Africa v British & Irish Lions Cape Town Sky Sports / Highlights on Channel 4
Sat Jul 31 5pm South Africa v British & Irish Lions Johannesburg Sky Sports / Highlights on Channel 4
Sat Aug 7 5pm South Africa v British & Irish Lions Johannesburg Sky Sports / Highlights on Channel 4
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

hard to see there not being some sort of outbreak and the tour not being curtailed

hope I'm wrong
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I'd love to see all the touring squad vaccinated to be honest. Unfortunately, the finger waggers would lose their mind at it, so not gonna happen.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 19th, 2021, 10:56 pm I'd love to see all the touring squad vaccinated to be honest. Unfortunately, the finger waggers would lose their mind at it, so not gonna happen.
I think they should be. If the main reason for not cancelling is because of the money the whole thing is worth then it makes sense to me that the money should be further protected by making sure games won't be cancelled, and also helps to stop the spread locally when they arrive.

Given how well the UK is doing with vaccines now and that the players will be based there soon I would have thought that a way could be found to get everyone vaccinated anyway without having to skip any queues, apart from maybe having to do something to make sure that the Irish players count as being temporary UK residents or something. So basically just give each of them a payslip for the first week and then they're eligible, something like that.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 20th, 2021, 5:46 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: May 19th, 2021, 10:56 pm I'd love to see all the touring squad vaccinated to be honest. Unfortunately, the finger waggers would lose their mind at it, so not gonna happen.
I think they should be. If the main reason for not cancelling is because of the money the whole thing is worth then it makes sense to me that the money should be further protected by making sure games won't be cancelled, and also helps to stop the spread locally when they arrive.

Given how well the UK is doing with vaccines now and that the players will be based there soon I would have thought that a way could be found to get everyone vaccinated anyway without having to skip any queues, apart from maybe having to do something to make sure that the Irish players count as being temporary UK residents or something. So basically just give each of them a payslip for the first week and then they're eligible, something like that.
Given that almost every academy entrant is given an asthma inhaler when they start (allegedly), would most of the team be asthmatic and be able to n a priority list anyways.

The inhaler thing is allegorical btw, from talking to GAA lads they seem shocked when their players play a season of rugby and somehow develop a need for inhalers when they hadn’t before.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I see the great Willie John McBride agrees with my views on the Lions. I really hope we don’t see our lads come back crocked like we have seen on recent tours.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

the spoofer wrote: May 25th, 2021, 9:37 am I see the great Willie John McBride agrees with my views on the Lions. I really hope we don’t see our lads come back crocked like we have seen on recent tours.
What did he say?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Twist wrote: June 1st, 2021, 3:38 pm
the spoofer wrote: May 25th, 2021, 9:37 am I see the great Willie John McBride agrees with my views on the Lions. I really hope we don’t see our lads come back crocked like we have seen on recent tours.
What did he say?
Basically that it's a money making exercise and has lost it's "soul"
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I think he's right but he's several tours too late with that observation
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Twist wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 11:07 am I think he's right but he's several tours too late with that observation
Watching BBC news this morning. Referred to the British lions 3 times and called it a gathering of the home nations. Kill this anachronistic rubbish off.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Porter out injured, Sinkler called up according to some English journos
I have Bumbleflex
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Seen this but hoping it's not true.
Would be a huge blow for the guy.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Porter confirmed out, broken ankle seemingly.

(Edit, now being reported as a 'toe injury'.

That's a sickener. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Anyone know when the incident happened? Didn't notice him going back off?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Terrible timing to get that injury. Just hoping this isn't as bad as the last Leinster tight-head to get a toe injury
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

cormac wrote: June 6th, 2021, 1:32 pm Terrible timing to get that injury. Just hoping this isn't as bad as the last Leinster tight-head to get a toe injury
Haha thought the exact same. Toe injuries will forever be associated with one man in my mind!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Very disappointing for him and fingers crossed he's fit and ready for next season.

Could be a boon for Leinster at the start of next season having him around though
Anyone But New Zealand
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I thought I couldn't hate the rainbow cup inaugural season any more than I already do. I remember a passing thought when looking at the team sheet that I was glad Furlong, Henshaw and Conan weren't starting, and that Porter should be fine just coming off the bench.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Twist wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 11:07 am I think he's right but he's several tours too late with that observation

Personally I think the lions tours are great, seen some brilliant series in recent years
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Ronan Kelleher has been called up to train with the Lions squad in Jersey. Not part of the touring squad though.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

The UK Times, under the pen of our own Peter O'Reilly, has had an 'AI' editing nightmare that has yielded comedy gold. I quote:

"Irish prostitute Ronan Kelleher has joined a Lions training camp as cover due to a shortage of prostitutes.

Kelleher will participate in practice this week because Ken Owens is the only available hooker."