2021 Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Re: 2021 Lions

Post by Logorrhea »

ahhhh its the same few posters dominating the thread that seem unable to handle the success of some Leinster players. Unhealthy really. Leave them to it.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dublin meeja bias affecting Warren?

Conan's a strange one for them to take a dislike to. I got with Heaslip that there was at least a selection debate in their eyes.

Conan's just a good player who hit form at the right time, when maybe others weren't at the best they've ever been.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

ronk wrote: July 21st, 2021, 10:38 pm Dublin meeja bias affecting Warren?

Conan's a strange one for them to take a dislike to. I got with Heaslip that there was at least a selection debate in their eyes.

Conan's just a good player who hit form at the right time, when maybe others weren't at the best they've ever been.
There's so many petty and bitter lads down there. They're so keen on preemptively bashing any Irish alternative to Coombes that they want to bitch and moan about Conan getting selected for the Lions. We're going to be listening to the Doris/Deegan/Conan bashing for years to come.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

There is something seriously wrong with some of them, I remember being down in Thomond when Heaslip was booed going off injured. He would have been Ireland captain at the time too.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Well, I'm sorry for Murray that he lost the captaincy and is only subbing and I'm happy for Beirne. Kinda wish we could have gotten him back after Scarlets.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

ronk wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 1:49 am Well, I'm sorry for Murray that he lost the captaincy and is only subbing and I'm happy for Beirne. Kinda wish we could have gotten him back after Scarlets.
Absolutely, I love Fardy of course but I would have preferred Beirne. Hindsight and all that.

Murray could still play his way into starting. Certainly all the forward subs are integral to the team, it's the modern way.

I've had a look down in Shelbyville and the bitterness at Conan is simply delicious. Savour it. Priceless stuff.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

CiaranIrl wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 3:24 pm
ronk wrote: July 21st, 2021, 10:38 pm Dublin meeja bias affecting Warren?

There's so many petty and bitter lads down there. They're so keen on preemptively bashing any Irish alternative to Coombes that they want to bitch and moan about Conan getting selected for the Lions. We're going to be listening to the Doris/Deegan/Conan bashing for years to come.
I had a quick look....jayziz there's a lot of bitterness and negativity with munster fans...and a lot of bitterness directed at Conan who had a great 6N for Ireland...tapped back beautifully for the Earls try and ran through cowan dickie for his own. The whingeing is quite something.

So much to look forward to in tomorrows game...Henshaw up against De allande should be some clash.
Hope conan plays to his best. I have the boks down as slight favs especially after the "test" last week where they bossed us up front.
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

CiaranIrl wrote: July 21st, 2021, 11:41 am Lawes will switch to the row alongside Itoje I assume when Beirne comes on for AWJ. Don't think Beirne is remotely big enough to play in the row against those monster locks.
He is taller and heavier at 1.98m/113kg than Itoje at 1.97m/110kg
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

RichardP wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 10:06 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: July 21st, 2021, 11:41 am Lawes will switch to the row alongside Itoje I assume when Beirne comes on for AWJ. Don't think Beirne is remotely big enough to play in the row against those monster locks.
I didn't know that. He doesn't seem it. In which case, he's not physically up to it unfortunately. He's a class blindside, but he's just not convincing enough in the row for me.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
RichardP
Graduate

Post by RichardP »

CiaranIrl wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 10:54 pm
I didn't know that. He doesn't seem it. In which case, he's not physically up to it unfortunately. He's a class blindside, but he's just not convincing enough in the row for me.
I’m inclined to agree
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

RichardP wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 11:03 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 10:54 pm

I’m inclined to agree
Dunno chaps, he was pretty convincing with 5 on his back against England earlier this year
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

How about 5 at home and 6 away? That way we all agree.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 11:45 pm How about 5 at home and 6 away? That way we all agree.
And 11 when in a neutral venue?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 24th, 2021, 12:17 am
ronk wrote: July 23rd, 2021, 11:45 pm How about 5 at home and 6 away? That way we all agree.
And 11 when in a neutral venue?
The Barbarians?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

At last, the justification for the most excessively hyped rugby series of recent memory will be presented today. Sky Sports, and others, have invested money & personalities to convince rugby fans that the Lions will bring a game to South Africa which will provide one of the great contests of the game's history.

Despite the Irish interest in Furlong, Conan, Henshaw, Beirne and Murray, I can't see the Lions surviving the forward onslaught or the power and pace of the Springbok backline. I expect, the South African pack to almost destroy the Lions scrum and to totally obliterate the Northern Hemisphere maul. The line-out may be the sole source of reasonable possession for the B&I pack, but without a maul, this won't be enough.

The South African half-backs are a superb combination. Combining them with a backline of pace, power and inventiveness should result in Kolbe & Mapimpi on the scoreboard alongside a lot of points from the boot of Pollard, many resulting from penalties against the Lions back-row and centres under enormous pressure from the offensive defence of the 'Boks - probably the strongest aspect of this South African squad.

But what if...? Gatland has an excellent coaching record. Townsend has revived Scottish backplay. Surely this pair and their lieutenants can produce a competitive team for this encounter? If they do, it will be an excellent start, but nothing I have seen in the past month gives any clue as to how they could convert this group into world-beaters. And that's exactly what South Africa are. These world champions have matured in isolation and today should see them demonstrate their power, passion and class. S A by 15-18 points.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I read that the Lions will have a bigger starting pack. That doesn't mean dominance but it doesn't fit the stereotype.

I think it will be a tight game and the Lions can edge it. I don't see many tries being scored especially from close to the line. It might come down to who makes the least mistakes in open play and set pieces. Hogg and Le Roux could be the key men. Duran VDM vs Kolbe is also a fascinating contrast of styles.

I think the Lions will try to attack out wide a bit. Daly's selection hints at that.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Wyn Jones is out injured. Sutherland replacing him apparently.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

dropkick wrote: July 24th, 2021, 1:10 pm Duran VDM vs Kolbe is also a fascinating contrast of styles.
Kolbe has been fantastically effective for quite a while now and very underrated in defence, hard to see VDM getting the better of him.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The bookies are usually well informed on these matters.
Ireland beat Japan by 8 points, the bookies had it at 10, tight margins.
And that's exactly what it's going to be today, tight, but then again I'm not a bookie
Posted the above earlier in the wrong thread.
Losing Jones will definitely be to the Boks advantage.
Shades of RWC final although obviously not as bad
Traditionally the first test is regarded as the Lions best chance of winning a test.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

SA look very comfortable so far. Lions haven't really threatened apart from that line out and hail mary for VDM in the opening minutes.