2021 Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: 2021 Lions

Post by fourthirtythree »

Fan with smartphone wrote: May 8th, 2021, 7:42 am
ronk wrote: May 7th, 2021, 12:31 am Jags won the draft. Highest rated player in 10 years is available and they get him. Pat's 2nd. They get a guy who was expected to be 3rd but fell to 15 and is is exactly what they need.

Leinster did great. Conan and Porter picked (good for them and no more Porter to loosehead nonsense). Guys with injury concerns left out so no Sexton, Ryan, Doris or Ringrose.
Like the old line about the consequences of the French Revolution - it’s too soon to tell! An argument made to me says the chiefs win every draft until somebody drafts a player who winds up to be better than mahomes. I dunno! 🤷‍♂️
Sorry to nit pick but I only found out quite recently that Zhou Enlai was asked about, and referring to, Les evenements of 1968, not the French Revolution. From Nixon's translator on the visit.

I know it sounds cool as being some kind of inscrutable, ancient Chinese comment on fleeting western civilisation but the Chinese state at that point was less than 25 years old after at least a century of being run by other countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=rFnQrbVV3_U
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

ronk wrote: May 8th, 2021, 8:48 am In that case Chicago won because they get a chance to be remembered for something other than for picking Trubisky ahead of Mahomes.

Gatland left the Irish guys who've been struggling with injury and brought players who are 100%

Kinda happy about that.
Fair point on both counts.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

fourthirtythree wrote: May 8th, 2021, 11:26 am
Fan with smartphone wrote: May 8th, 2021, 7:42 am
ronk wrote: May 7th, 2021, 12:31 am Jags won the draft. Highest rated player in 10 years is available and they get him. Pat's 2nd. They get a guy who was expected to be 3rd but fell to 15 and is is exactly what they need.

Leinster did great. Conan and Porter picked (good for them and no more Porter to loosehead nonsense). Guys with injury concerns left out so no Sexton, Ryan, Doris or Ringrose.
Like the old line about the consequences of the French Revolution - it’s too soon to tell! An argument made to me says the chiefs win every draft until somebody drafts a player who winds up to be better than mahomes. I dunno! 🤷‍♂️
Sorry to nit pick but I only found out quite recently that Zhou Enlai was asked about, and referring to, Les evenements of 1968, not the French Revolution. From Nixon's translator on the visit.

I know it sounds cool as being some kind of inscrutable, ancient Chinese comment on fleeting western civilisation but the Chinese state at that point was less than 25 years old after at least a century of being run by other countries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=rFnQrbVV3_U
Didn’t know any of that! Just goes to show sometimes it’s more about being lucky than good I guess.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Squidge actually presents a convincing case here: https://youtu.be/K9RAX2z0WXQ
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:00 pm Squidge actually presents a convincing case here: https://youtu.be/K9RAX2z0WXQ
I watched that, thought he made a load of sense about the No8s selected.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:59 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 8th, 2021, 12:00 pm Squidge actually presents a convincing case here: https://youtu.be/K9RAX2z0WXQ
I watched that, thought he made a load of sense about the No8s selected.
True.
I think the selection also shows how different Gatland is from Jones and Farrell. A lot of cases here where subs are travelling ahead of the starters.

He's also picked a few guys who can kick the leather off the ball. Murray makes sense if they are planning on box kicking in certain parts of the field or want that threat.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Good video that. Makes me even more nervous about Henshaw making it back in one piece though.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 9th, 2021, 5:59 pm Good video that. Makes me even more nervous about Henshaw making it back in one piece though.
Precisely my thoughts too!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I see that SA are struggling to get some opposition for warm up games and might have to resort to probables v possibles etc.

Again I wonder if Leinster (and others) could volunteer to play them, especially now that it’s confirmed that the Ireland tour is off. We are still playing two games but it’s not like they’re important.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 9th, 2021, 5:59 pm Good video that. Makes me even more nervous about Henshaw making it back in one piece though.
It’ll be worth it if we win the test series
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Lock9541 wrote: May 9th, 2021, 8:33 pm
It’ll be worth it if we win the test series
I wouldn't sacrifice a player for that in a month of Sundays.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If Henshaw is back to current form within 30 weeks I'd take that.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I watched a load of prem and pro 14 rugby this weekend, some players really stood out

Watson and LRZ are both rapid and both look really dangerous, on current form they have to be the test match wingers as it stands

Murray now looks to be streets ahead to get the 9 jersey

Simons maybe a tad light to play 8 vs the boks but he knows where the try line is, I'll say that for him

Biggar took a really heavy head knock and failed a hia , which is never a good thing

On the down side I hate to say it but both awj and toby f looked well under par in their matches and look they are already on the plane mentally
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

It wouldn't be the first time Welsh players have underperformed for their club only to excel at test level
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

JB1973 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 10:52 am I watched a load of prem and pro 14 rugby this weekend, some players really stood out

Watson and LRZ are both rapid and both look really dangerous, on current form they have to be the test match wingers as it stands

Simons maybe a tad light to play 8 vs the boks but he knows where the try line is, I'll say that for him

Biggar took a really heavy head knock and failed a hia , which is never a good thing

On the down side I hate to say it but both awj and toby f looked well under par in their matches and look they are already on the plane mentally
Simmonds equalled Neil back’s English premiership try record at the weekend for a season. It’s quite an achievement. Neil back was a great player, but his tries were generally from mauls whereas Simmonds scores in a good variety of ways.

I always liked Simmonds. He got his England run perhaps a bit early in his career. We hammered them at one stage and I remember the withering criticism by one of the ex-English internationals. It was along the lines of they are a bit of a joke - playing backs in the forwards, and trying to play forwards in the backline. It is essentially what OSS points out squidge is suggesting Gatland is going to try to do now. Although he didn’t get much of a sniff against Leinster, I do think Simmonds is a better player than he was then. I’m pretty happy England jettisoned him tbh.

I thought that Gatland was possibly kind of picking a few people who weren’t getting games to suggest these coaches aren’t as good as the ones I faced in my day, they are doing it all wrong - mydayitis. But squidge’s video makes a good case there.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

JB1973 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 10:52 am I watched a load of prem and pro 14 rugby this weekend, some players really stood out

Conan outplayed Simmonds when playing against Exeter. I’ll have Conan starting 8
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Different front 5's in that game.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I rate Conan and Simmons but I'd very surprised if it isn't toby f in the lions jersey come the test matches

One of the guys left out Synkler had a great game vs bath and spoke very well about how much missing out on the lions meant to him, came across quite well in fairness to him
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

JB1973 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 10:52 amOn the down side I hate to say it but both awj and toby f looked well under par in their matches and look they are already on the plane mentally
I know it's a well worn trope but not surprising to hear based on experience seeing Welsh players for club vs for country.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Lions games to be held behind closed doors: https://www.the42.ie/lions-tour-schedul ... 3-May2021/

- 4 games in Johannesburg
- 3 games in Capetown
- 1 game in Pretoria

This is going to be a very difficult tour to be on.