2021 Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: 2021 Lions

Post by fourthirtythree »

The Doc wrote: July 29th, 2021, 10:43 am I see Rassie has gone full Keegan.
I was thinking more Brendan Venter.

As for being a bluff, distraction to take pressure off the players.... Well you know what they call people who ironically f%~k a goat?

That's right, goatfuckers.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

One for the rugby nerds.

If the lions win one of the remaining 2 games they will have won the series.

Murray has toured and won matches against all 3 opponents, which I’d imagine puts him in a fairly prestigious group?

A tour victory against SA will mean that Murray will have been involved in 2 tour victories and 1 draw.

Question, has any Irish player ever toured all 3 without experiencing a series loss?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

munster#1 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 12:34 pm One for the rugby nerds.

Murray has toured and won matches against all 3 opponents, which I’d imagine puts him in a fairly prestigious group?

A tour victory against SA will mean that Murray will have been involved in 2 tour victories and 1 draw.

Question, has any Irish player ever toured all 3 without experiencing a series loss?
There's only been three full tours to Australia in the last 100 years (1989, 2001 and 2013) so there's a very small group of Ireland players who've toured all three, let alone featured in test matches on all three tours.

From a quick search, Brian O'Driscoll, Paul O'Connell and now Conor Murray are the only three Ireland players to have played in test matches in recent tours against all three. Drico's participation against NZ was rather short-lived too. ROG also toured all three but didn't feature in test matches in all three.

Lions sometimes played matches in Australia as part of a tour to New Zealand but I can't be arsed trying to find the teamsheets from that far back.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

To my knowledge no player Irish or British has , the lions have only ever won two consecutive test series on the bounce 71 and 74 and lost before and after those two.

If we win this series a run of 3 unbeaten would be as good as it's been, Farrell Mako v Murray and Faletau are all on their 3rd tour I can't think of any others out there at the moment who are but I stand to be corrected,
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

JB1973 wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:15 pm

To my knowledge no player Irish or British has , the lions have only ever won two consecutive test series on the bounce 71 and 74 and lost before and after those two.

If we win this series a run of 3 unbeaten would be as good as it's been, Farrell Mako v Murray and Faletau are all on their 3rd tour I can't think of any others out there at the moment who are but I stand to be corrected,
You'd have to think one of them would stand a good chance of making another tour.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Alun Wynn Jones?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He's on 4. In theory he could go for 5
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: July 29th, 2021, 6:58 pm He's on 4. In theory he could go for 5
True that, thought the question was three or more :shock:
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on July 29th, 2021, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:38 pm.
Spot on. took the words out of my gob
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I was thinking the same but didn’t want to make the claim in case I was wide of the mark.

Remarkable achievement from the select group of players.
Like him or hate him, Gartland has a remarkable and unrivalled record in the northern hemisphere.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 29th, 2021, 8:37 pm
awj has lost a lions series though (2009 vs boks) ,
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

munster#1 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 9:09 am

I was thinking the same but didn’t want to make the claim in case I was wide of the mark.

Remarkable achievement from the select group of players.
Like him or hate him, Gartland has a remarkable and unrivalled record in the northern hemisphere.
If he can coach the lions to another test winning series then he surpasses the likes of geech and carwyn as the greatest lions coach of all time

He isn't an especially easy guy to like but his record as a coach really is exceptional short of a world cup / super rugby title he has done the lot
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

JB1973 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 10:40 am
So I just totes misread the question.

In retrospect there’s absolutely no way you’d have left AWJ off the list if he belonged on it.

:D :D
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: July 30th, 2021, 3:08 pm
JB1973 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 10:40 am

So I just totes misread the question.

In retrospect there’s absolutely no way you’d have left AWJ off the list if he belonged on it.

:D :D
ha if I can squeeze an osprey on to any list , I would :)
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

munster#1 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 9:09 am Like him or hate him, Gartland has a remarkable and unrivalled record in the northern hemisphere.
At what cost though? His attitude has alienated a lot of people away from the Lions concept. 12 years ago I watched every match I could at the club or down the pub. 8 years ago I did as many as I could, except the 3rd test. Since then I've only watched the highlights of one match, because he poisoned the well.

Not to say I'm not pleased for the players who make it and make a name for themselves. But for me, it doesn't engage me any more. If he does succeed, good for him and good for the players, but it doesn't mean much for me anymore.
Anyone But New Zealand
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

fourthirtythree wrote: July 29th, 2021, 11:52 am

As for being a bluff, distraction to take pressure off the players.... Well you know what they call people who ironically f%~k a goat?

Erasmus is really bringing the game into disrepute at this stage. World Rugby should fine his union a significant amount for the behaviour of their DOR, which has been an embarrassment to the sport. Grow the f*ck up and act with some decorum.

I was about to say that I was obviously getting older and crotchety over the pandemic [which is true], but on second thoughts I always would have thought that the two coaches whinging about refereeing decisions and "playing mind games" before the first test was a load of tawdry sh*t. I thought that people LOLing over tweets by "Jaco Johan" was just performative banter nonsense ... Haskell-class, F Grade bantz. "The sh*tness is what made it funny" - no, you d*ckhead. It didn't. You are the type of beller who laughs at your country's equivalent of Rory's Stories.

I actually don't give a sh*t about the Lions - it has really grown stale for me. I just want the Leinster players to a] not get injured and b] play well so that they enjoy it and give a good account of themselves. Same thing to a lesser extent for the rest of the Irish players, then no particular feelings about it. The constant hype is wearing and clearly doesn't match the below-ordinary standard of the matches. How can somebody tell me that playing against Natal Seconds in a empty stadium compares with [never mind exceeds] playing England or France in the Six Nations and expect me to believe that?

The never-ending din on social media of people being more Lionsy than each other and telling everybody that "that's what the Lions is all about". Listen up, you pontificating dose: the Lions is about getting loads of kit and being on the next team up, so you can be super-friends with all the other international BFDs. As I've said before, it's like being on the SCT when you're an U16. You are now officially a BFD. It's a great feeling.

With all that said ... I will actually be cheering for them on Saturday. South Africa rugby fans must be the most irritating set of knobs on planet rugby. They make Welsh Rugby Twitter look like a collection of sound philosophers. No offense JB1973. You're actually sound.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

hugonaut wrote: July 30th, 2021, 4:37 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: July 29th, 2021, 11:52 am

Erasmus is really bringing the game into disrepute at this stage. World Rugby should fine his union a significant amount for the behaviour of their DOR, which has been an embarrassment to the sport. Grow the f*ck up and act with some decorum.

I was about to say that I was obviously getting older and crotchety over the pandemic [which is true], but on second thoughts I always would have thought that the two coaches whinging about refereeing decisions and "playing mind games" before the first test was a load of tawdry sh*t. I thought that people LOLing over tweets by "Jaco Johan" was just performative banter nonsense ... Haskell-class, F Grade bantz. "The sh*tness is what made it funny" - no, you d*ckhead. It didn't. You are the type of beller who laughs at your country's equivalent of Rory's Stories.

I actually don't give a sh*t about the Lions - it has really grown stale for me. I just want the Leinster players to a] not get injured and b] play well so that they enjoy it and give a good account of themselves. Same thing to a lesser extent for the rest of the Irish players, then no particular feelings about it. The constant hype is wearing and clearly doesn't match the below-ordinary standard of the matches. How can somebody tell me that playing against Natal Seconds in a empty stadium compares with [never mind exceeds] playing England or France in the Six Nations and expect me to believe that?

The never-ending din on social media of people being more Lionsy than each other and telling everybody that "that's what the Lions is all about". Listen up, you pontificating dose: the Lions is about getting loads of kit and being on the next team up, so you can be super-friends with all the other international BFDs. As I've said before, it's like being on the SCT when you're an U16. You are now officially a BFD. It's a great feeling.

With all that said ... I will actually be cheering for them on Saturday. South Africa rugby fans must be the most irritating set of knobs on planet rugby. They make Welsh Rugby Twitter look like a collection of sound philosophers. No offense JB1973. You're actually sound.
Hugo - I think you should do up a one hour video with clips from the "bellers" with your commentary over it - would be very "of the moment" :D
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

FLIP wrote: July 30th, 2021, 4:10 pm
munster#1 wrote: July 30th, 2021, 9:09 am Like him or hate him, Gartland has a remarkable and unrivalled record in the northern hemisphere.
At what cost though? His attitude has alienated a lot of people away from the Lions concept. 12 years ago I watched every match I could at the club or down the pub. 8 years ago I did as many as I could, except the 3rd test. Since then I've only watched the highlights of one match, because he poisoned the well.

Not to say I'm not pleased for the players who make it and make a name for themselves. But for me, it doesn't engage me any more. If he does succeed, good for him and good for the players, but it doesn't mean much for me anymore.
Interesting take on things.
What about his attitude do you feel has alienated fans?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote: July 30th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Two questions

1) What is/are Rory's Stories?
2) What is a BFD?
I have Bumbleflex