2021 Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: 2021 Lions

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote: June 26th, 2021, 8:10 pm
riocard911 wrote: June 26th, 2021, 6:37 pm I'm sorry for AWJ has he's a magnificent player and a true leader.
Not good news for the Lions chances to lose their captain. I wonder will he come along to help.
I read Drico's article about his 2005 experience this morning. He said he should have gone straight home.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no point in AWJ going out on tour now. It's going to be a very stressful tour with them living in a bubble. I'd make Itoje the captain, he's definitely going to be in the starting team. He captained his English U20s side to Six Nations and JWC titles - not ideal, but better than nothing.

Farrell is the most likely to get the nod, which I wouldn't have any issues with. I reckon I have more time for him than most other people on the board!

Ken Owen is by no means a certainty to start. Neither is Hogg, and fullback isn't the best position to captain the team from ... very far from the action. Hendo has captained Ulster but not Ireland, and has underperformed a lot at test level.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Conor Murray is the new Lions Captain.

Beard and Navidi replace AWJ and Tipuric
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote: June 26th, 2021, 9:53 pm Conor Murray is the new Lions Captain.
Hadn't even considered that!

Well done that man.
Jcahill1
Bookworm

Post by Jcahill1 »

cormac wrote: June 26th, 2021, 9:53 pm Conor Murray is the new Lions Captain.

Beard and Navidi replace AWJ and Tipuric
I'd be fuming if I was James Ryan or Jonny Gray
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Loath though I am to pour calming lotion on the flames of national outrage - but wasn't James Ryan a bit meh this year?
I have Bumbleflex
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Dave Cahill wrote:Loath though I am to pour calming lotion on the flames of national outrage - but wasn't James Ryan a bit meh this year?
He definitely was left behind originally for a reason and I don't think Gatland forgot the La Rochelle game.
Concussion really knocked him off track.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 26th, 2021, 10:08 pm Loath though I am to pour calming lotion on the flames of national outrage - but wasn't James Ryan a bit meh this year?
He's still a better player than at least two of the locks in the Lions squad now.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

James Ryan would want to pray gatland doesn't get the ireland or leinster job at any time during his career
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

lummix wrote: June 26th, 2021, 10:30 pm James Ryan would want to pray gatland doesn't get the ireland or leinster job at any time during his career
I don't think he needs to worry too much about that happening.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

James Ryan is out of the games against USA and Japan with an injury sustained in the training this week

Time to put the pitchforks away chaps
I have Bumbleflex
Atlas
Bookworm

Post by Atlas »

I like Navidi but very surprised Underhill wasn't called up
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 26th, 2021, 10:08 pm Loath though I am to pour calming lotion on the flames of national outrage - but wasn't James Ryan a bit meh this year?
What pisses me off is that we have the best loosehead lock of his generation, and we are f%~king him around and trying to blame him for not being a tighthead lock. He's not a bruiser. He's not an enforcer. It's not his fault Henderson, Baird, Toner etc. aren't tighthead locks either. Trying to ram a square peg into a round hole has affected his form and has led to injuries. He'll probably spend the summer trying to put on weight and muscle, losing mobility, making him more injury prone and making him less of a player.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote: June 27th, 2021, 8:59 am
What pisses me off is that we have the best loosehead lock of his generation, and we are f%~king him around and trying to blame him for not being a tighthead lock. He's not a bruiser. He's not an enforcer. It's not his fault Henderson, Baird, Toner etc. aren't tighthead locks either. Trying to ram a square peg into a round hole has affected his form and has led to injuries. He'll probably spend the summer trying to put on weight and muscle, losing mobility, making him more injury prone and making him less of a player.
Launchberry/Kruis type replacement for AWJ was needed not a JR so he wasn't in the running.
Congrats and good news for Murray because it's a clear indication that he's nailed on first choice 9.
Ireland have a problem at TH lock but JR is our best open side lock and you play your best players in their best positions.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Question for Dave (or anyone else who has a definitive answer):
- was yesterday deemed to be a test match i.e. does Robbie Henshaw finally have a game to be added to his international total?

It’s very annoying that on their website the Lions only list appearances and don’t distinguish which are caps (for example they list AWJ as 21 appearances but don’t say that he has 9 or 10 caps)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

2 Big blows for the Lions, losing 2 players that would likely have been involved in the test team, including the captain.

Given the attritional nature of the game these are unlikely to be the last changes to the squad, and we may well see a couple more Irish lads added to the squad.

I am absolutely delighted for Murray, he started the season with many “fans” and reporters calling for him to be put out to pasture. He found himself watching from the stand while alternatives were reviewed, but he fought his way back, and has now been rewarded with an opportunity to follow in the footsteps of previous Irish legends who have captained the Lions.

Another player who has had a fairytale journey is Beirne, going from being a pizza delivery driver who was not offered a professional contract by his home province, to being on the cusp of becoming a starting Lion is a remarkable achievement and testament to his mental fortitude.

This tour has just become more interesting from an Irish perspective.

Irish players that I believe will start a test if fit are Furlong, Beirne, Murray and Henshaw.
Henderson must be in the mix, and IMO will be in a couple of test squads, just not sure he’ll start.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

Xanthippe wrote:Question for Dave (or anyone else who has a definitive answer):
- was yesterday deemed to be a test match i.e. does Robbie Henshaw finally have a game to be added to his international total?

It’s very annoying that on their website the Lions only list appearances and don’t distinguish which are caps (for example they list AWJ as 21 appearances but don’t say that he has 9 or 10 caps)
I was wondering that myself. This is the best I could find and is from earlier in the week :

"Meanwhile it is still unclear if the fixture will be granted full Test match status.

All 'new' players will receive a cap and player number for the match, but the Lions board is still discussing whether players will get an international cap - and that will be subject to further consultation."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/57567198.amp

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 12:23 pm 2 Big blows for the Lions, losing 2 players that would likely have been involved in the test team, including the captain.

Given the attritional nature of the game these are unlikely to be the last changes to the squad, and we may well see a couple more Irish lads added to the squad.

I am absolutely delighted for Murray, he started the season with many “fans” and reporters calling for him to be put out to pasture. He found himself watching from the stand while alternatives were reviewed, but he fought his way back, and has now been rewarded with an opportunity to follow in the footsteps of previous Irish legends who have captained the Lions.

Another player who has had a fairytale journey is Beirne, going from being a pizza delivery driver who was not offered a professional contract by his home province, to being on the cusp of becoming a starting Lion is a remarkable achievement and testament to his mental fortitude.

Irish players that I believe will start a test if fit are Furlong, Beirne, Murray and Henshaw.
Henderson must be in the mix, and IMO will be in a couple of test squads, just not sure he’ll start.
Conan is likely to be in the 23 and may start at 8.
Gattie was having a good look at him yesterday at 8.
It was significant that Faletau went to 7 when Tipuric went off, both Conan and Beirne would have been better options as stand in 7.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

munster#1 wrote: June 27th, 2021, 12:23 pm 2 Big blows for the Lions, losing 2 players that would likely have been involved in the test team, including the captain.

Why are you a "fan" because you think someone else is playing better? Are you a "fan" if you think Coombs deserves a shot at number 8, for example?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The number of people writing about people calling for Murray to be dropped is orders of magnitude greater than the number of people calling for Murray to be dropped.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

heno wrote: June 27th, 2021, 12:35 pm
Xanthippe wrote:Question for Dave (or anyone else who has a definitive answer):

I was wondering that myself. This is the best I could find and is from earlier in the week :

"Meanwhile it is still unclear if the fixture will be granted full Test match status.

All 'new' players will receive a cap and player number for the match, but the Lions board is still discussing whether players will get an international cap - and that will be subject to further consultation."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/57567198.amp

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
At the moment the Lions differentiates between tour caps and test caps. From the Lions perspective it probably doesn't matter so much whether this is different from a tour cap but you probably wouldn't want it to be the same as a test cap.

Should he still be eligible to play for South Africa?

The exception would be a tourist who makes this game but doesn't make a Test side and doesn't play for his country.

But I'm thinking more about the other side. Should van den Heever's first cap be against the Lions or us next week.

Award caps, but still mostly report on test caps would be my preference. That still maintains the separation between Test Lions and Tourists.