2021 Lions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Re: 2021 Lions

Post by Xanthippe »

Twist wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:56 pm ... I'm surprised Stander missed out.
Might be a smart move - he'll probably have moved back home by then so will be a handy call up if any of the back row get injured
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

John23 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 4:07 pm One for the anoraks. Is Bundee the first Connacht Lion since... Ciaran Fitzgerald? Or who am I missing?
bronxbull wrote: May 6th, 2021, 4:18 pm John o Driscoll and Ciaran Fitzgerald in 83
Ray McLoughlin before them in 66 and 71.

Robbie Henshaw 2017 :twisted:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Xanthippe wrote: May 6th, 2021, 4:32 pm
Twist wrote: May 6th, 2021, 12:56 pm ... I'm surprised Stander missed out.
Might be a smart move - he'll probably have moved back home by then so will be a handy call up if any of the back row get injured
Not sure if you were joking or not but that's a great shout if you weren't!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Logorrhea wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:36 pm Oh yeha, Kelleher was the one omission that I don't understand. Especially when LCD got in ahead of him. Maybe the lineout inconsistency counted against him?
What lineout inconsistency?
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Cory Hill, Thomas Francis, Allan Dell and Kristian Dacey must be thinking what more could they have done :lol:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

backrower8 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 4:56 pm
Logorrhea wrote: May 6th, 2021, 1:36 pm Oh yeha, Kelleher was the one omission that I don't understand. Especially when LCD got in ahead of him. Maybe the lineout inconsistency counted against him?
What lineout inconsistency?
Did you watch the Six Nations??
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

How wise and prudent were the Leinster brain trust in hiring an NZ tighthead from the Crusaders for the coming season?....
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Absolutely, makes sense if we have two crocked tightwads.

And the CJ Stander call up for injury too. Particularly as his durability would be a positive point for a touring squad.

As for Kelleher: lineout has not been an issue recently unlike most of the hookers he has played against who have struggled.
Atlas
Bookworm

Post by Atlas »

Daly could be a starter. The fact he can take penalty shots from 60 odd meters in South Africa is a big plus.

Really surprised Underhill isn't going. Would have thought he'd be a starter even if he did miss the 6 nation's through injury.
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Xanthippe wrote:
John23 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 4:07 pm One for the anoraks. Is Bundee the first Connacht Lion since... Ciaran Fitzgerald? Or who am I missing?
bronxbull wrote: May 6th, 2021, 4:18 pm John o Driscoll and Ciaran Fitzgerald in 83

Of course you are correct Xan. Checked myself. I doubted you at first. How silly of me.
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

Atlas wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:33 pm Daly could be a starter. The fact he can take penalty shots from 60 odd meters in South Africa is a big plus.

Really surprised Underhill isn't going. Would have thought he'd be a starter even if he did miss the 6 nation's through injury.
Underhill is an unbelievable player, England really felt his loss this 6 Nations. It's another head-scratcher of a decision to leave him out.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

fourthirtythree wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:16 pm Absolutely, makes sense if we have two crocked tightwads.

And the CJ Stander call up for injury too. Particularly as his durability would be a positive point for a touring squad.

As for Kelleher: lineout has not been an issue recently unlike most of the hookers he has played against who have struggled.
He showed at international level in the Six Nations that he’s unreliable. I wouldn’t trust Kelleher yet. If he was consistent with throwing in the six nations he would of got picked but unfortunately he couldn’t get his set piece right. Other than that he’s a very good player.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Lock9541 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 4:16 pm Last year I thought Tuilagi, Ringrose and Slade would all be traveling. No idea who’s gonna start 13 now
Swore I’d finally grown up and wouldn’t get pulled into this anachronistic propaganda machine. But...looks to me like Robbie Henshaw will be 13. I think that’s one of the smarter moves they’ve made.

Sinckler going 4 years ago over Faegerson but not at all now baffles me. Not sure if Tomos Williams is fit but he’s one of a few i’d have over Ali price. I really like the Aki pick, but I am biased as am an Aki fan this long time . SNP voting friend of mine is happy but is stressed that it’s all a plot to derail Scottish independence. Now says he might get the kids some lions paraphernalia. I despair, but think that’s a nice microcosm of the contrasting notions this thing brings. 😆

NFL draft was last week, and all the talk is of who won the draft. Well I do feel like Leinster and Ireland won this draft. A few players who’ll really benefit from not going - Ryan, Ringrose, Kelleher, Healy, Sexton, JVDF - who are clearly of the quality to go, but will get a chance to get healthy and have a shot at a good season which might then set them up for a World Cup. Would much rather watch a World Cup this summer, but I’m still a big child and will probably watch this thing despite myself.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Jags won the draft. Highest rated player in 10 years is available and they get him. Pat's 2nd. They get a guy who was expected to be 3rd but fell to 15 and is is exactly what they need.

Leinster did great. Conan and Porter picked (good for them and no more Porter to loosehead nonsense). Guys with injury concerns left out so no Sexton, Ryan, Doris or Ringrose.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Fan with smartphone wrote: May 6th, 2021, 10:45 pm
Lock9541 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 4:16 pm Last year I thought Tuilagi, Ringrose and Slade would all be traveling. No idea who’s gonna start 13 now
Swore I’d finally grown up and wouldn’t get pulled into this anachronistic propaganda machine. But...looks to me like Robbie Henshaw will be 13. I think that’s one of the smarter moves they’ve made.

Sinckler going 4 years ago over Faegerson but not at all now baffles me. Not sure if Tomos Williams is fit but he’s one of a few i’d have over Ali price. I really like the Aki pick, but I am biased as am an Aki fan this long time . SNP voting friend of mine is happy but is stressed that it’s all a plot to derail Scottish independence. Now says he might get the kids some lions paraphernalia. I despair, but think that’s a nice microcosm of the contrasting notions this thing brings. 😆

NFL draft was last week, and all the talk is of who won the draft. Well I do feel like Leinster and Ireland won this draft. A few players who’ll really benefit from not going - Ryan, Ringrose, Kelleher, Healy, Sexton, JVDF - who are clearly of the quality to go, but will get a chance to get healthy and have a shot at a good season which might then set them up for a World Cup. Would much rather watch a World Cup this summer, but I’m still a big child and will probably watch this thing despite myself.
I prefer watching the Lions than a World Cup because it’s more exciting and Ireland always disappoint me every World Cup which is why I prefer watching Lions Tours and it brings all the 4 countries together which is why rugby is the best sport in the world. Also I think team selections are very interesting and exciting for the Lions is another reason why I prefer it over a World Cup and that it’s over Summer too.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Have to feel sorry for James Ryan not getting picked he’s been so good since 2018 and just had a dip in form at the worst time possible.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Lock9541 wrote: May 6th, 2021, 7:29 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: May 6th, 2021, 6:16 pm Absolutely, makes sense if we have two crocked tightwads.

He showed at international level in the Six Nations that he’s unreliable. I wouldn’t trust Kelleher yet. If he was consistent with throwing in the six nations he would of got picked but unfortunately he couldn’t get his set piece right. Other than that he’s a very good player.
In that case why are any number of out of form players going, because so many of this squad either played poorly in the 6N, haven’t played in any big games since, are currently rehabbing long term injuries.

Did you see Kelleher in the QF (when he outplayed LCD) & the SF (when he was out second highest carrying forward (25m) and the 3rd highest tackler from either side (15) of the European Champions Cup? Especially his throwing in?

You can only be tried for murder once. Move on. He has.

I get why the other 3 were picked ahead of him, but experience, not throwing, is what held him back. Interesting that he featured very heavily in media/pundit predicted squads, unlike Herring who only started ahead of him due to where his throwing was during the Autumn.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Lions captain Alun Wyn Jones feels hand of history on his shoulder

Wales’s indomitable talisman is keenly aware of the gravity of the honour bestowed on him by Warren Gatland

Scratch away the gloss they have slapped across the British & Irish Lions and there is a single, simple beautiful idea underneath. An idea protected by a set of values that have kept it alive for 133 years and still do now, even when, like so much else about what makes the game great, it is under threat from a corporate sports culture which only worries about the best way to package, present, and sell it – another product in an already overcrowded marketplace. Those values persist because the men who hold them pass them on from one generation to the next. Men such as Warren Gatland and his captain, Alun Wyn Jones.

[source: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... s-shoulder ]

You have to laugh – it's just so overblown! The veneration. The pomposity. The belief in older, more sacred truths etc.

The Lions is basically playing for the seniors when you're in 4th year: it makes you feel like a big deal, you get a new set of mates who are also big deals, and you get gear that none of your team-mates on the U16s have. You also get injured.
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Xanthippe wrote: May 6th, 2021, 4:33 pm

Robbie went as a Leinster player so they don't count him as a Connacht Lion.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Some really odd calls in that squad.
I am delighted for Conan, he has had an Alan Quinlanesque career to date, and all fit may not even make the Leinster squad for the big games.
These are the type of selections which I really like.

I think 8 Irish players is about right for where that Irish team is right now, hard to grumble too much, but I really had expected Stander to get in, and for the sake of nostalgia Earls too.

Is this the first time in the Pro era that no Leinster (produced, as he had multiple caps before joining Leinster) back has made the first draft?

With a fair bit of rugby yet to play, there will be heartbreak for a few players, and great joy for others, as history has shown us that it is unlikely that all players selected will travel.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.