Roberts named HSBC player of the series

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

BPH
Beginner

Re: Roberts named HSBC player of the series

Post by BPH »

Read the whole post, for Christ's sake. If a winger (doesn't have to be Earls, whoever) comes along, Fitz is the more likely of the two wingers, at this moment, to be dropped. How difficult is that to work out?
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

His position isn't 'under threat' at all, thats the confusion. If another winger popped up from somewhere and happened to be incredible, I'd see Fitz/Bowe fighting between them, no clear winner
BPH
Beginner

Post by BPH »

In non-blue tinted glasses, Bowe > Fitz at this current moment. Fact
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

offensively, yes. but fitz is an incredible defensive wing
BPH
Beginner

Post by BPH »

Bowe's defence has become every bit as good, in fairness. Not that he was ever too bad, that one France match tainted him somewhat. It's no shame to say he's our current number 1 winger, given that he was also the Lions' number 1 winger. Try and take a step back and see this..
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

4 posts and you're a dick in every one of them. you'll fit in well here
BPH
Beginner

Post by BPH »

4 replies and you're a myopic, easily-offended, rich-boy nonce in every one of them. I'm sure we'll get along superbly
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

BPH wrote:In non-blue tinted glasses, Bowe > Fitz at this current moment. Fact

Ahh the four little letters that are every poster need have in their arsenal .f>a>c>t
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Scott wrote:
BPH wrote:In non-blue tinted glasses, Bowe > Fitz at this current moment. Fact

Ahh the four little letters that are every poster need have in their arsenal .f>a>c>t
Opinion greater than fact. Fact. :lol:
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

BPH wrote:Read the whole post, for Christ's sake. If a winger (doesn't have to be Earls, whoever) comes along, Fitz is the more likely of the two wingers, at this moment, to be dropped. How difficult is that to work out?
Who is coming along to put Fitz's place under pressure? It's a very simple question, no need for the attitude.
BPH
Beginner

Post by BPH »

It's actually rather a nonsensical question, Daniel, as neither you nor I know who'll be coming through. If you read the posts in context, you'd see the original post said "Will Bowe even be an Ireland starter next season" (paraphrased), to which I simply commented that if a winger was to be displaced it would be Fitzgerald. Perhaps I was being overly dramatic in using the phrase "under threat"
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

You were wrong in using the phrase 'under threat'. His position isn't even close to being under threat, nor is Bowe's.
BPH
Beginner

Post by BPH »

Actually, if you're going to continue to be a pedant (having seen you on here and munsterfans, I'm not shocked), I said his place was "under more threat than Bowe's". Which is technically true, if a bit overly dramatic. Get back in your box
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

BPH wrote:Actually, if you're going to continue to be a pedant (having seen you on here and munsterfans, I'm not shocked), I said his place was "under more threat than Bowe's". Which is technically true, if a bit overly dramatic. Get back in your box
Except in so far as it's not true, which it isn't.

But keep telling yourself that everyone else is wrong and you were right. Throwing insults around is a great idea too, sure to get people to respect you.

If there was a 3rd contender for an Irish wing slot anywhere near as good as the two incumbents, then Fitzgerald's place is likely to be under more threat than Bowe's. There is a difference, and you don't need to be a pedant to spot the difference. Perhaps you could have said that Fitzgerald's place is theoretically under more threat, if there were a threat.

But instead you've put far more time into insisting that you're right and everyone else misread you when that's clearly not the case.
BPH
Beginner

Post by BPH »

Ah, ronk, ronk, ronk, you concede my point is correct, in a "theoretical" sense. :clap: Good boy.

As an aside; I'm from neither Leinster nor Munster, but from the demeanor of the posters on this thread, I can see exactly why so many from your own province decide to support Munster.

Thanks for your input, though, pumpkin xx
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

BPH wrote:Ah, ronk, ronk, ronk, you concede my point is correct, in a "theoretical" sense. :clap: Good boy.

As an aside; I'm from neither Leinster nor Munster, but from the demeanor of the posters on this thread, I can see exactly why so many from your own province decide to support Munster.

rich-boy nonce
myopic, pedant
Get back in your box

Is it just me or anyone else love this guy :lol: :lol:
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Doc
Graduate

Post by Doc »

I'm loving it LOL

FWIW, he is right too.

Bowe is (perfectly correctly IMO) rated ahead of Fitz right now. That could well change. Earls could potentially be challenging there next season. Trimble, if he could regain his form of 2006 would be thereabouts. I wouldn't write off Shaggy 100% either. Also remember how quickly Earls, Kearney and Fitz all came through from schools level to challenging for a place in the senior provincial sides - no reason why some young gun mightn't do the same this year or next.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Doc wrote:I'm loving it LOL

FWIW, he is right too.

Bowe is (perfectly correctly IMO) rated ahead of Fitz right now. That could well change. Earls could potentially be challenging there next season. Trimble, if he could regain his form of 2006 would be thereabouts. I wouldn't write off Shaggy 100% either. Also remember how quickly Earls, Kearney and Fitz all came through from schools level to challenging for a place in the senior provincial sides - no reason why some young gun mightn't do the same this year or next.
Who though? The 3 you mentioned were all stars at underage level and it was clear as day they'd make it as pros. Leinster didn't even bother putting Fitz in the academy, and Kearney was in it for about 5 minutes.
Doc
Graduate

Post by Doc »

Who though? The 3 you mentioned were all stars at underage level and it was clear as day they'd make it as pros. Leinster didn't even bother putting Fitz in the academy, and Kearney was in it for about 5 minutes.
I don't know off hand, I don't see enough underage rugby to say - but some of the lads on the Rock team that won this year looked fairly handy, there was one called Conway and another lad whose name I don't recall, a winger/centre and full-back if I recall.

I hear good things about Shane Monahan.

And saying it was "clear as day they'd make it as pros" is stretching it WAY too far IMO. There have been umpteen top rated schools players who've never made the grade at senior level, some who've never even made a ripple
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Doc wrote:
I don't know off hand, I don't see enough underage rugby to say - but some of the lads on the Rock team that won this year looked fairly handy, there was one called Conway and another lad whose name I don't recall, a winger/centre and full-back if I recall.

I hear good things about Shane Monahan.

And saying it was "clear as day they'd make it as pros" is stretching it WAY too far IMO. There have been umpteen top rated schools players who've never made the grade at senior level, some who've never even made a ripple
I think Keating from Clontarf looks like he has what it takes. Think he is still a young lad